releasing the hound(s)?

releasing the hound(s)?

This is a discussion on releasing the hound(s)? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any laws or opinions and experience on how it would go in the legal aftermath if: You wake up to your porch being burgled, see ...

Thread: releasing the hound(s)?

releasing the hound(s)?

Any laws or opinions and experience on how it would go in the legal aftermath if:

You wake up to your porch being burgled, see someone trying to hotwire your car, etc... You call 911 first, then open the door to shout at them / scare them off, you let your dog out to further scare them off? WHAT IF your dog attacks and injures the BG? What if the dog kills the BG (far chance, but what if?)? Would you be held responsible for the BG's injuries for using deadly force via a dog when it was only over property?

Is it a good idea to keep the dog's criminal-stopping abilities to indoors, protecting the family & house, rather than chasing after BG's?

also, what if the dog sleeps outside and attacks the criminal at its own will? What if when you open the door to check things, the dog leaps out the door and finds the BG...?

Experience preferred, opinions welcome, Laws cited appreciated where applicable.

Disclaimers:
    1) this is hypothetical haven't done it, don't plan on doing it, just wondering what rights we have in "letting the dog out" on the BG?
    2) the fact that the dog is being put into danger from the BG is understood, just looking for some constructive discussion on the question asked above.
    3) this doesn't apply to Texas, property is more valuable there!!!
    4) forgive me if I'm kicking at a hornet's nest with this question!
    Good Judgment comes from experience...
    ...experience comes from bad judgment.

Is it a good idea to keep the dog's criminal-stopping abilities to indoors, protecting the family & house, rather than chasing after BG's?
    No cites, no experience (worth relating here), nonetheless, I say yes to the above due to potential liability issues, and I'd guess some scuz attorney would try to argue the dog is a "lethal weapon"; I don't want to put my dogs at risk, they're indoor dogs, and will be my indoor "surprise".

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

LMAO @ disclaimer # 3...

I think that if my dog were out the door fighting the BG; I'd probably be there too.

Every dog that's ever been a part of my family has been exactly that, a member of the family. I don't think I'd turn them loose on a BG any faster than I'd turn loose a bipedal family member.

I'd probably err on the side of caution and keep the dog inside with me, and with my family.

I can imagine that there would be legal consequences for any damage the dog caused to the BG.

If it came down to it, and the dog got into it with the BG who had entered my home etc. (done something that triggered a deadly-force response), and they both were injured, I'd be calling the vet before the paramedics...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

I am not a lawyer,

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    Would you be held responsible for the BG's injuries for using deadly force via a dog when it was only over property?
    One can certainly be charged and convicted of criminal assault etc... by sending your dog to attack someone. Laws vary State to State, but you are sliding down a slippery slope by using your dog as a weapon. I strongly recommend against it.

There is also a huge civil liability at play here. If your dog bites someone, even if they are trespassing, you may be liable for $$$$$ in medical bills and damages.

what if the dog sleeps outside and attacks the criminal at its own will?
    You are unlikely to be charged with a crime.

You are probably still civilly liable.

It is a good idea to have no trespassing signs, beware of dog, a proper fence, and a non-violent dog.

Yup. Always stay inside and call 911.

I don't like how close I got to condoning putting the pet in danger with this question, but I was more interested in the legaliltious aftermath.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking the dog would be treated more like an extension of our weapons than our family from the law's point of view in the case of a family dog attacking a BG.

I guess my opinion is that the dog is not irresponsible, but unaccountable. Having been trained to be what it is as far as behavior/aggressiveness goes, the dog's owner/master is to take responsibility for what the dog does, I suppose much like a young son or daughter.

Problem is, the dog never turns 18 years old and becomes accountable for their own actions!

Like I said, experience is welcome to the discussion, opinions too.
    Good Judgment comes from experience...
    ...experience comes from bad judgment.

If the Shutzhund train shepherd should chew the crap of a BG breaking into my car, it is because I was threatened and would consider it an extension of my weaponry...the dog gets extra treats!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If my dogs go after someone, I'm going with them.
    Dog bite laws are different everywhere. In some States if your dog bites someone you are liable no matter what. In others as long as it's your property you are not liable. It all depends.

Lousiana is a state where the owner is always liable for a dog bite. A friend of mine had a teen (16) jump her fence, hit her tied up Mastiff with a stick, until it bit him,then sued her homeowners policy, the kid was paid. It didn't matter that she had signs up, a fence and that the dog was on a cable. Adding insult to injury, the punk kid had done the same exact thing to another dog, got bit and collected there too. if it was up to me, the kid would get a beating that he'd never forget, everytime that he saw a dog he'd cry.....
    In Tn the law is different. As long as the dog is on your property it's ok. If it gets loose, no. I don't know where the law stands on the intentional setting of your dog after someone. On the dogs property I'd imagine is ok, although I'm not sure.
    every State has it's own laws and it's good to be familiar with them because you never know what could happen with a dog.

My dogs (3 of 'em) represent layered security for my family inside our home. Employing pooches to fend-off BG's from your car would be considered weapons employed.....and just like your sidearm.....considered deadly force (IF said pooches can be proven by a prosocuter to be deadly).

My dogs will remain in the house with the wife and kids......they'd die protecting thier pack.......and two of my dogs could be considered deadly. My family will remain inside unless absolutly necessary. Breaking into the car...... I'll call the cops and from there, we'd see, but I hope to never find out either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

CDH
    I think that in virtually every state, the owner of an animal is personally responsible for any harm that animal causes.
    That should answer the question.

In the case of police K-9 dogs, they are trained for a very specific purpose of subdueing bad guys. But, in cases where a totally innocent bystander was attacked wrongly by a K-9, it is not likely that the police would win against such a suit.

My main point, though, is that my dogs are my kids. I would rather that I be put in a position to defend them then to risk their own well being defending me. Probably stupid, I know, but like I said, they're my kids.

At the same time, my 3 kids would rip an arm off a BG in a heartbeat if they thought I was in danger (Doberman, Black Lab, and Pit Bull).
    But I prefer to just listen to them go nuts when they think there's a noise outside and investigate the noise myself without letting them out where they could get hurt.
    Although, I pity the fool who ends up disarming me and goes for my wife with the dogs in the house. It wouldn't be a happy ending for the BG.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    One can certainly be charged and convicted of criminal assault etc... by sending your dog to attack someone. Laws vary State to State, but you are sliding down a slippery slope by using your dog as a weapon. I strongly recommend against it.

There is also a huge civil liability at play here. If your dog bites someone, even if they are trespassing, you may be liable for $$$$$ in medical bills and damages.

You are unlikely to be charged with a crime.

You are probably still civilly liable.

It is a good idea to have no trespassing signs, beware of dog, a proper fence, and a non-violent dog.

Yup. Always stay inside and call 911.
    Sad that we've come to this isn't it? It's like the thief that fell through a skylight in England and sued the homeowner and won! I still let mine out, but I live in a rural area and we're basically expected to hold our own until the cops can get here(which is usually at least a good 30 minutes).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The car is insured. Call 911.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sponsored Links