beware the blade

beware the blade

This is a discussion on beware the blade within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a heads up - we debated recently whether to have these pics posted - and decided not, at least on the forum itself. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beware the blade

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar

beware the blade

Just a heads up - we debated recently whether to have these pics posted - and decided not, at least on the forum itself. It is fair to say however that the pics on that link page are very graphic, tho nonetheless in part highly salutary. I only add this so folks know what they might expect. View at your own discretion. P95

Rather than copying everything over here:

http://shooterslegacy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5532
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Those have been all over the 'net this week but I think everyone interested in self-defense should see them. This definately illustrates how dangerous a knife can be, even when wielded by an untrained attacker. I say "untrained" in this case because, while these are definately some nasty cuts, the officer would have been in really bad shape if his attacker knew enough to thrust rather than slash. Or at least slash to more vital targets (i.e. carotid and brachial arteries). Based on the location of some of these wounds, had the attacker used a thrust rather than a slash, these photos would probably have been taken at the morgue rather than a hospital. He's lucky to be alive.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Ouch!! The officer was really lucky to be alive.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    A few stitches & staples and a tube of Neosporin will fix him right up.

Seriously...glad that the photos were added as a link.
    That is the correct was to add super graphic photos.
    Please check with any forum moderator VIA Private Mail before posting any visually disturbing photos on the forum.

Ouch is right!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    This is something we here in my State need to give a lot of thought to with our new little friends who are now calling our State and Cities Towns their home turf. Seems they all carry knives and will quickly use them.

Senior Moderator
    I saw some "graphics" in my Edged Weapons class at Gunsite. That's when I realized just how dangerous a knife can be. It doesn't have to be a long blade either; looking at the pics, none of the wounds appear to be over three inches deep.

Interestingly, although there are signs of bleeding, the wounds themselves have no blood in them whatsoever. I've seen that before in knife wound pics.

It also makes me wonder if the wounds, as bad as they are, would be more incapacitating than a gunshot(s).

It is absolutely amazing what can be done with a knife in a flash of time. I got a video from Fist inc. - the holster maker and I was actually frightened by the brutality and speed with which a knife can be used.

I think most of us kinda visualize a knife as a stab and wait tool, but a semi-trained person with a knife could inflict at least three deep (1 - 2 inches or to the bone), broad (a foot or more) slashing wounds per second. How long does it take you to draw and fire your gun? Scary huh? It ought to be.

Knife techniques don't have to be directed to the torso to be effective either. If they slash the tendon of the bicep just above where it connects to the forearm, you won't be able to use that arm.

Another, is a thrust into the arm pit to sever the artery that is located there. Knives are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    It also makes me wonder if the wounds, as bad as they are, would be more incapacitating than a gunshot(s).
    Long-term, yes, short-term, not likely. We are wonderously made: to cause the loss of function in a limb, you have to sever virtually all the connective tissue. A full-depth slash through the shoulder muscle (joint exposed) did not prevent a banger from opening the ED door, or signing his forms. A 3" blade will reach everything important, in the human body.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Long-term, yes, short-term, not likely. We are wonderously made: to cause the loss of function in a limb, you have to sever virtually all the connective tissue. A full-depth slash through the shoulder muscle (joint exposed) did not prevent a banger from opening the ED door, or signing his forms. A 3" blade will reach everything important, in the human body.
    Well, that's kinda the way I see it too. A friend of mine got in a fight (long time ago) and didn't even know he was being cut instead of punched until the fight was over. IIRC, he had to have well over 100 stitches. But, I don't think the guy with the knife knew how to use it effectively.

Then again, I've read accounts of people that didn't know they had been shot until somebody told them.

OUCH!! I'm guessing the officer would have fared better with a vest. Wonder if his dept didn't require them.
    Hope he recovers quickly and hope the perp got caught and gets what he deserves.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    OUCH!! I'm guessing the officer would have fared better with a vest. Wonder if his dept didn't require them.
    Wonder how old the pictures were? There was no date. Also almost looked like they were taken after he had bee cleaned up some.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Wonder how old the pictures were? There was no date. Also almost looked like they were taken after he had bee cleaned up some.
    I think you're right; there's no sign of blood or body fluids in or around the wounds, and I would have thought there would be "stuff" oozing and running everywhere. Of course that doesn't mean they are any less serious, it just means they've had some treatment.

Back when I had access to a like minded individual, we used to do experiments about how quickly you could get cut. We didn't use knives of course, but rather markers. It's worth remarking neither one of us are or were particularly accomplished with such weapons. I carry knives but I do so mostly for utility.

At any rate, even my clumsy slow hands could almost draw a tic tac toe board on him before he could draw a dummy gun. He did the same to me with a long streak that went from my shoulder all the way down my arm to my thumb.

We both agreed that had that been a knife, we just killed each other. Eerily, the marks we put on each other closely followed the path of the wounds on this officer!

You hear all this stuff about how the average person has 3" of fat and nothing shorter than 4" will actually hurt someone... BULL BUTTER. It's called flesh compression. It's real and it hurts. I have an uncle who has been studing martial bladecraft long before Janich ever coined the term and he honestly is not picky about the knife so long as the shape isn't too curved and it's well made. 1 inch or 11, he just doesn't care he can screw you up with all of them. I wouldn't want to go against him, he's old and decrepit but he'd have my throat cut before I could flinch.

I read somewhere that one year, officers in California who got shot suffered a 30.3% mortality rate. Those who were stabbed? 30.2%

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Gentleman, those wounds are not bleeding at all, and some of them are VERY deep. The doctor in the background is not wearing any scrubs. I am of the opinion that those were autopsy photos.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874
    Gentleman, those wounds are not bleeding at all, and some of them are VERY deep. The doctor in the background is not wearing any scrubs. I am of the opinion that those were autopsy photos.
    You probably looked closer than I did, but they sure didn't look right for "street" pic's. And you're probably right..... I just noticed how "clean" they were.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links