How many agree with this about a pit bull attack?

This is a discussion on How many agree with this about a pit bull attack? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This a an answer I found on the internet regarding a dog attack "you shoot the dog, even if it does bite you or your ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many agree with this about a pit bull attack?

How many agree with this about a pit bull attack?

This a an answer I found on the internet regarding a dog attack

"you shoot the dog, even if it does bite you or your son, you will be held accountable for animal abuse and slaughter, which can send you to jail for up to five years with no probation."

2. Remove Ads

That could be the case in some areas of this country, but not where I live. I have the right to defend myself from all predators, two legged and four. Best thing to do would be check the laws in your area, although if it was illegal in my area, I would just have to go to jail if any animal attacks me or my children.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member
    Remember, today is Aprils fools.

If it's on the net, has to be true.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

That may be so if you shoot the dog after the attack, as retribution. Five years sounds like a long time, I don't think that Vick got anywhere near that long and he had lots of counts. I can't see how anyone can fault you for doing anything necessary to stop or prevent an attack. Dog bites can be very serious,even deadly.

Not true.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I too disagree.

To me, Pitbull = Serious Bodily Injury, minimum.

BTW, In my intermediate handgun class, the instructor added the Charging Pit Bull drill.

For the drill you need the following supplies:
    1. A carabiner (that mountain climbing thingy), attached to a belt loop on the shooters weak side
    2. About 35' of clothesline
    3. Several one gallon milk jugs filled w/water

• One end of the clothesline is tied to the jug handle; the other end is threaded through the carabiner.
    • On the signal, the instructor, standing behind the shooter, starts pulling on the clothesline and the shooter begins shooting at the rapidly advancing milk jug.
    • The instructor stops pulling when the jug reaches 6' for safety purposes

The first time we tried it (from the standing position), nobody got any hits. Then I tried it again but from a kneeling position & got it on the first shot about 20' out. I think it had to do with the grazing fire vs plunging fire principle. Everyone else tried it kneeling and got hits too.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by lionassad View Post
    "you shoot the dog, even if it does bite you or your son, you will be held accountable for animal abuse and slaughter, which can send you to jail for up to five years with no probation."
    That's no answer. That's a narrow-minded mentioning of the worst-case scenario, in which a crime has been committed.

Reality is somewhat different. If your life is threatened, darned right you can stop the attack ... even if it's a dog. Dogs are NOT humans, and not even the most zealous prosecutor can get past that simple fact. Reality is, occasionally, a dog can have a broken synapse and absolutely require being put down. Pit bulls have earned a reputation for having this sort of thing occur with fair frequency, though there are examples of dogs from various breeds blowing sideways and lethally threatening humans.

In most places, the same basic rules apply: if you are in legitimate fear for your life and limb, protect it to the degree necessary.

For my money, I certainly won't allow such an attack to continue on me or my family merely because of some threat of abuse from the canine huggers. If I'm able, I'll survive a life-threatening attack no matter what's required. The dog's ability to survive it comes a distant second, in terms of priorities. The canine huggers' ability to cope ... not an issue at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by lionassad View Post
    This a an answer I found on the internet regarding a dog attack

Not in my state.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Here in the GunShine State, I feel confident in defending myself and my family from BG's and dangerous canines. Having said that, I really like dogs and it would take an extremely aggresive canine for me to actually shoot a dog...BG's???...they wouldn't get as much leeway.
    OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't believe it, if that's that's the case how would one protect themselves against a human attacker. The laws must be stiffer on the side of humans. I am the biggest dog lover that I know but that law would be flawed for many reasons. You have a right to protect yourself no matter who or what the aggressor is.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

jfl
    If the first thing that come to mind when attacked by man or beast, is the legal aspect, you already way behind the power curve, probably injured or worse.
    That's one thing I don't like Ayoob for.

The gallon jug drill: good idea, I need to try that.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I wouldn't worry too much about legal implications; recently pit bulls are getting a pretty bad reputation regarding attacks, especially against children. Just here in TX, there have been 2 attacks this week by pit bulls against children, who both died as a result. One of them occurred yesterday here in San Antonio. In both cases, the animals were shot by police.

I figure if the police are shooting them, I for one, will not hesitate.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    If the first thing that come to mind when attacked by man or beast, is the legal aspect, you already way behind the power curve, probably injured or worse.

That's one thing I don't like Ayoob for.
    Ayoob certainly wants folks to appreciate the legal ramifications of acting wrongly, but he also certainly doesn't force people to avoid thinking and doing all that's necessary for survival in fast-moving and deadly situations. People mistake his message, if that's the tack they take.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Is it possible? Sure, in this day and time anything is possible, although it is not likely.
    Look at it this way, if it does happen you'll have plenty of time to decide how to spend the money you get from the lawsuit against the dogs owner!

1: Ayoob and others teach us the legal ramifications so we can PLAN AHEAD and CONTEMPLATE our actions before we get into bad situations. It's why we post in threads here, to ask questions about tactics before we think we'd need to use them.

2: I think there's two different dog killing scenarios being confused here. The justified killing of a dog would be in self defense, while the attack is happening.

The unjustified, prosecutable killing of a dog would be for the attack to occur, then to round up you gun and go take the dog out back and give it its what-for.

Just like Human-to-human self defense, shoot to stop the attack, but if the BG starts to run away, you'd go to jail for shooting after the attack is over.

My wife and I are going to pick up our new puppy (female brindle English mastiff!) next Saturday, and while we were researching different dog breeds, we were seriously considering the American Staffordshire Terrier. Which is very close to Pit Bull, genetically speaking. I made the off-hand comment, to my wife and some other relatives, that "if we don't give it a good training, you can forget it, because if any dog bites either of our kids, I'm going to break its neck and it'll be done with." Just kind of illustrating the importance of training properly. I don't want to be bit by ANY dog, but these breeds (Am-Staff and Pit Bulls) have a REAL bad bite, especially for children. I was immediately berrated, being told if I didn't take the dog out while the attack was happening, then I'd end up in jail for animal abuse. I researched it a bit, and stand corrected.

Times are changed from the good old days I hear about. You can't take any revenge on anything nowadays. They've got it figured that if you are mentally able to slaughter an animal without cause for defense, then the next thing you're going to target is other humans.
    Good Judgment comes from experience...
    ...experience comes from bad judgment.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links