275lbs man vs 156lb man in a fist fight and vice versa

This is a discussion on 275lbs man vs 156lb man in a fist fight and vice versa within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "On July 5, 2000, Junta -- a 6-foot-1, 270-pound truck driver -- fought twice with Costin, who was 6 feet tall and weighed 156 pounds." ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"On July 5, 2000, Junta -- a 6-foot-1, 270-pound truck driver -- fought twice with Costin, who was 6 feet tall and weighed 156 pounds." end results Costin was beaten to death by the big guy

Your Judgment call
    In this example its a fist fight only
    This was a fight at a kids sporting event. Lets say that the fist fight happened in a mall parking lot where the 6 foot 275lb man is attacking the 6 foot 156lbs can the smaller person pull his gun on the large man to stop the fight?

Lets say that the situation was reversed and the smaller guy was attacking the larger man for what ever reason maybe the small guy just likes fighting and wants to fight a big guy. Can the larger guy pull his gun on the smaller guy to try to stop the fight because he fears if he fights with the smaller guy there could be a chance the small guy may end up grapping the gun from him during a fight?

You're basically asking a disparity of force question. The little guy has an easier time articulating this than the big guy, although the big guy still could do it if he had a medical condition like heart problems.

You have to be able to show you were in fear of your life or great bodily harm to justify deadly force.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

If someone attackes me, I'm not engaging with fists, but I will engage.

If I see two guys fighting, one very big, one very little...I'm only going to call 911 and be a good witness.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

(Excepting medical conditions and special training) Small guy can use disparity of force defense if the current altercation was not started by him. If the small guy started the altercation; or if the big guy started it, but was leaving and the small guy continued the fight the small guy loses that defense b/c he was the instigator.

A whole lot of variables in that scenario. It depends on a lot of things like training, body composition, ect...

Basically either one could use a firearm provided they were not the instigator and had an honest fear of severe bodily harm or death (I am not a lawyer by the way).

Back during college I made money by being a bouncer, at the time i was around 250#'s, I learned that size really isn't everything in a fist fight, despite opinions to the contrary. It can help to a degree, but i'd take training over size any day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I like this reply. If someone attackes me, I'm not engaging with fists, but I will engage.

It is not the size of the dog, it is the fight in the dog. Carry is an option.
    Keep your powder dry

A good old fashioned brawl is one thing... there are witnesses, rules laid out.. pretty much the only way that ends up lethal is if someone fights dirty.

On the other hand, if a man randomly attacks me Im going to assume he intends to kill me, and hell yes i will be drawing on him. I doubt I would need to fire but if he is determined to commit suicide by CCW holder then so be it. If i were SUPREMELY confident that he posed next-to no risk to me (AKA a scrawny 15yr old decides to jump me for to show off to his freinds) then i might try to restrain him physically. But thats never a wise assumption.

Just speaking for myself but i would really try to avoid killing the guy.. I understand impulsive rage. But when it comes down to it its him or me.. and i came better prepared than him.
    We are only as vulnerable as we are naive.

Amen for training. Disparity of size is often a valid criteria, but not always. I had an Okinawan Karate Instructor that couldn't have weighed more than 160 lbs but could drop a 10 pound shotput on the top of his foot with no discomfort. With either one of his legs he could break a Louisville Sluuger in half with his shins. Obviously someone like that isn't going to have a problem with a larger man. Just because someone is smaller than you doesn't mean they can't kick your butt or beat you to death. In the case of my instuctor, there is no way I am facing him without being 20 feet away and armed with a gun. The unfortunate part is when accosted by a stranger you have't got a clue of their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    Amen for training. Disparity of size is often a valid criteria, but not always. I had an Okinawan Karate Instructor that couldn't have weighed more than 160 lbs but could drop a 10 pound shotput on the top of his foot with no discomfort. With either one of his legs he could break a Louisville Sluuger in half with his shins. Obviously someone like that isn't going to have a problem with a larger man. Just because someone is smaller than you doesn't mean they can't kick your butt or beat you to death. In the case of my instuctor, there is no way I am facing him without being 20 feet away and armed with a gun. The unfortunate part is when accosted by a stranger you have't got a clue of their abilities.
    Or to how well armed they are.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    It depends on what state you are in also.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

Back during college I made money by being a bouncer, at the time i was around 250#'s, I learned that size really isn't everything in a fist fight, despite opinions to the contrary. It can help to a degree, but i'd take training over size any day.

BTDT I worked as a Bartender/Disc jockey for about 4 years (back in the 70's) and when it came bar fights I don't care if your 24" tall midget or a 300lb football player, the drunker one with a bad attitude will win. The Bar I worked at ALWAYS had a minimum of 6 Bouncers ( I mean *Social Workers* ) every night.

I have seen some really small guys do a lot of damage in a very short period of time
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I am almost five inches taller and I guess about 85 pounds heavier than Mike Tyson, but I am not about to jump in the ring with him. Numbers aren't everything!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    You're basically asking a disparity of force question. The little guy has an easier time articulating this than the big guy, although the big guy still could do it if he had a medical condition like heart problems.

You have to be able to show you were in fear of your life or great bodily harm to justify deadly force.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    (Excepting medical conditions and special training) Small guy can use disparity of force defense if the current altercation was not started by him. If the small guy started the altercation; or if the big guy started it, but was leaving and the small guy continued the fight the small guy loses that defense b/c he was the instigator.
    Pretty much sums up disparity of force for the OP's question.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Verbal commands, followed by less-than-lethal means of defense prior to deadly force will go a long way in the eyes of those deciding whether your force was justified.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Years ago when I was stationed in Okinawa and seriously studying the martial arts, I perfected my leg sweep technique that will break the fibula bone and bring any human to the ground. Size really doesn't matter, and options are always good. Disparity of force is a question only you can answer when the situation arises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links