Justified shoot, or not?

Justified shoot, or not?

This is a discussion on Justified shoot, or not? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just found this in a thread on another forum (link at bottom of post). I'm interested to read your takes on this. I haven't ...

Thread: Justified shoot, or not?

Justified shoot, or not?

I just found this in a thread on another forum (link at bottom of post). I'm interested to read your takes on this. I haven't searched the guy's name to see if there are any news reports nor checked into the legitimacy of the video but wondered what I would have done had I been in his shoes.

I just took the CPL course about three weeks ago and have been going through the various scenarios we all run through as we consider the awesome responsibility of carrying a firearm. Here's what has me curious about this particular situation.

The guy draws on the BG at the counter. Now, I have not studied the video but believe that the BG is carrying a weapon. I'm fine with the employee drawing on him but, and this is key for me, as soon as the BG sees the weapon drawn on him he hightails it for the exit. The employee fires what appear to be three shots into the backside of the BG as he runs away. Now, assuming the employee had a weapon pointed at him (can't make it out in the video), at the time he drew he has a legitimate fear for his life. I have absolutely no problem with him drawing. However, I'm wondering about the three shots fired into the BG's backside, especially given the fact that he is running away. Please note, I'm not saying that this was not a justified shoot, just trying to sort it out in my mind in order to prepare myself.

So, what do you think?

YouTube - Good guy 1, Bad guy 0, CCW in action

This video has been around for a long time and discussed before.

I will look and see if I can find the thread where it was discussed. The bottom one was the original thread.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ing-video.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cw-action.html
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That would be great, thx.

Yes...shown many times.
    Yes...dirtbag had a gun.
    No...dirtbag did not run awan.
    Yes...shot as he was leaving.
    Yes...a good shoot. Just because he was leaving is no guarantee he would not shoot as he was leaving. There were bystanders to protect. OMOYMV

Let's hear it for the C/U employee.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Justified shoot, or not?

Poor kid probably scarred for life. But what do you do? That's why you carry for reasons just like that, even if it is close quarters and it happened so fast. This guy must have been practicing. I would say a clean shoot, as soon as the BG presented the gun he really had no choice. If he was charged with any crime I don't think a jury would convict.

If I remember correctly, the clerk was a member of packingdotorg way back and had actually posted his comments about the event.

Geez.....that's a reminder of how long I've been hanging around these guns sites!
    I'm getting old.................

Very old.

As well as mentioned by Rotorblade the GG was prior an active member of a gun forum and did post about it in detail explaining how things occurred and played out to his own view.

Hit up Google as you should still be able to find that forum and his thread which was pretty lengthy in discussion. At the time it was all over the internets as it's rare to have access to such a person post shooting _and_ to have the incident the video on clear tape at that. A best case scenario of events.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I believe this incident occurred in August of 2005 and it was discussed at length about a year later when everything settled. However, this is still a good piece for us new to the CC world to review and discuss.

Given the tremendous surge in those taken the CCW courses and the growth of the forum over the past few months, I'm sure that many have not yet had the chance to view the video and consider what they would have done in the same situation. I know that it was a real eye-opener for me and something worthy of discussion for me and those who have not yet viewed it. Like you said, there aren't too many of these floating around.

Does anyone have an update on the legal situation?
    Did the BG expire?

BG went to jail via plea.

Sponsored Links