Pulled gun while driving- New to me real case

This is a discussion on Pulled gun while driving- New to me real case within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I travel the back country of Michigan a lot and it is mostly on rural roads (in agriculture). I was in southern Michigan a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled gun while driving- New to me real case

Pulled gun while driving- New to me real case

Well I travel the back country of Michigan a lot and it is mostly on rural roads (in agriculture).

I was in southern Michigan a week ago and by a farm that I visit 4-5 times a year. Upon slowing to turn into the farm I see 2 young men standing in the middle of the road flagging me down. Driving around them is not an option as the roads are very narrow down there and I really don't want to face murder charges for running them over and backing up really did not seem like a good option.

Well I pulled my .45 out of my IWB SuperTuck holster and held it out of sight in my lap as I pulled up.

This was especially strange as these men looked like what you would expect to see in Kalamazoo or Detroit, (you know the type, inner city thugs)...NOT in farm country. The other was that this took place right in front of a "home" for troubled adults (I think for the mentally ill).

Well the ending was fine, I rolled my window down slightly which promped them to move to the side to talk to me...they said someting about a ride outa there and I just hit the go juice pedal and went on my merry way. I saw them scoot across the field on foot (very muddy too).

Well, all ended well. This was a scenario that I really did not ever expect to run into but it does affirm how important my travel companion really is. It could have gone VERY differently
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have seen this technique by transients’ and it is aggressive. Based on your description, it was a reasonable call.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Guess I don't see the need to pull the gun out of the holster on this one. Did either of them have any weapons visible or anything other than being "thuggy" that would be an indication that they wanted to attack you or keep you from passing?

Glad everything worked out for you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Country boy's maybe they thought you were a local... But then there have been way too many city people moving out to trailer trash homes and taking there troubled kids, and all their excess baggage with them...

How do I know, just around the corner from my farm.... 1 Sex offender, 1 ex con, one juvie, two 14 year old sisters that stole Granny's car and took it for a lark... yeah they all live in genuine trailer trash homes....

On the positive side I have a 500 yard range now!!! Oh N I hope you 911 it too...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Guess I don't see the need to pull the gun out of the holster on this one. Did either of them have any weapons visible or anything other than being "thuggy" that would be an indication that they wanted to attack you or keep you from passing?

Glad everything worked out for you.
    I think he was using his gut feeling...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Yeah, it was still concealed, he didn't brandish it. So I say no harm no foul. Better safe than sorry.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

NS,

To be honest, and I currently live in rural 'farm' country, I would not have stopped to talk to them per your description.
    No vehicle in sight (per your report), house of mental people near by (per your report), they do not look like natives...and you have a place to be/get to.
    I would not have stopped nor even slowed never mind roll my window down to talk. Just keep on motoring and if they in the rear view mirror are waving and yelling for help/aid or from that view appear to be injured I then would from up the road dial 911 and let the professional help and investigators offer them help and to investigate.

Life is hard enough as it is, no gun required.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds like your car could have been their ticket outta' there...I would not have stopped either, and my Kimber would also have been under my leg (as is sometimes is in bad places).

Stay armed...always be ready...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

EdC
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    NS,

I would not have stopped nor even slowed never mind roll my window down to talk.

- Janq
    I think the poster said that he was concerned that if he didn't slow down, he might hit one of them. That would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    I think the poster said that he was concerned that if he didn't slow down, he might hit one of them. That would be very bad.
    Drive around him/them.

Even on two lane which is the majority of the road out my way there is more than enough room to drive around a person...I do this all the time to avoid walkers, joggers, and bicyclists. Like almost every time I'm on the road.

As well most people will and do get out of the way of a moving vehicle so as to not be run over. Keep moving.
    Not to say one would be doing 65. On two lane country roads the speed limit is typically in the are of 45 and 35. Slow down to 20 or 15 even, but stop no for said persons under said conditions...no way.

Advantage...Driver at the control of 3K+ lbs. of steel, rubber, and 130+ HP kinetic energy force multiplier

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, Janq, I understand your POV, but the OP stated, in so many words, 'driving around them is not an option'. Now, that option could become more or less feasable for others, depending on driving skill, etc., but the OP apparently discounted it as a possibility in his case.

United93

VIP Member
    There's nothing wrong with arming yourself. Seconds count and just because you didn't see any weapons certainly doesn't mean there were none. Action is faster than reaction so arming yourself added precious seconds to your side if you did have to react!

I always follow my gut and have never been sorry that I did.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Understood and considered United.
    I'm just offering counterpoint from a hey why didn't I think of that and will do so next time view. : )

Myself if at all I can avoid having to draw my for real emergencies only personal defense tools then I'll choose to exhaust those other options first.

As an exemplar of my own mentality and view toward such occurrences in life, at my own current life station and age, the rear casing of my watch which is itself like my sidearm a personal rescue instrument has the following engraved in deep and bold letters...

Not toward the OP in specific but as an item in general often times I wonder if it would not be a good idea to have similar/same engraved into the top of the slide on handguns as carried by civilians in specific.
    These things are a measure of very last resort as in all other options have been exhausted and/or are not functionally present.
    My watch and my sidearm have been with me daily for years and seen many roads. Thankfully thus far even during rocky road and bad weather I have not yet found myself needing to reach for either.

At the bottom of my own line I have got to get home.
    And at the end of the day I am going to get home regardless.

- Janq

One of the reason, I would not have drawn is, what if the people actually intended on trying to stop the car. Say the spread out and tried to block the road or they did have a weapon of some sort that they pulled at the last minute.

I would want both hands available to drive the 2 ton vehicle (maybe everyones isn't 2 tons, but even if it is 1 ton) and not having to worry about having a pistol either in my hand when I need to grab the steering wheel or stuck under my leg if I needed to go ditch diving to get around them and then have a loose weapon floating around the inside of the car or getting stuck in one of the pedals when it gets tossed on the floorboard.

If they pull a gun, rock, stick bat or anything else at the last minute, I am ducking behind the dash with the skinny pedal on the floor, they can move or get hit at that point, but my vehicle is much more effective than a pistol.

Just something to consider in this type of situation.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yep, a moving vehicle is far more effective and useful defensively against multiple hostiles (which to this end were suspected but not confirmed) than that of a narrow bandwidth handgun. ^^

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links