Bank Robbery Situation

Bank Robbery Situation

This is a discussion on Bank Robbery Situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine was recently involved in a bank robbery in Clayton, MO. Thankfully he and his wife were unhurt but the robbery occurred ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank Robbery Situation

Bank Robbery Situation

A friend of mine was recently involved in a bank robbery in Clayton, MO. Thankfully he and his wife were unhurt but the robbery occurred as he was speaking with his teller. Out of nowhere two men bust through the door and yell "everyone on the ground!".. He doesnt have a license (although now considering) but he did what the robbers told him to do and he ended up not getting hurt. The robbery lasted about 3 minutes and no one was shot.

Im just curious, what would some of you all do in this situation? There were 2 robbers, all of which were armed. All you have is your CCW and your wife is with you. Do you fight the robbers or do what you're told?
    Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
    - David T. Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by BrianGarms View Post
    A friend of mine was recently involved in a bank robbery in Clayton, MO.
    How much money did he get?

Seriously It all depends on if I feel we are in imminent danger or not. If it stays a grab and go I would do nothing the banks are insured for the money. Even if they weren't I am not there to protect their assets. With three armed suspects you don't stand a very good chance of taking them out successfully.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Banks are insured,unless they start shooting people then let them take the money and run
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Be a good witness unless they start hurting someone...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Banks are insured,unless they start shooting people then let them take the money and run
    +1

I think there was a similar hypothetical scenario and it got the same responses. No sense risking your life unless it is in danger in the first place (meaning they threatened to shoot or already shot someone)

Let them have the money "Its only Paper" unless they threaten you!

R/S Lego

I would only draw if I felt me or my family were in iminent danger. Although I used to be a bank teller, I only worked for banks if they had off duty police doing the security, not a security guard. I'm going to start a thread "Do you think bank tellers should be allowed to carry?"

VIP Member
    Well, ya see... it all depends!

Every situation is different and in all probability I would not try to be a hero. If the dudes start capping people though, all bets are off!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have also thaught about what i would do in this situation. Do you let the bg walk thinking he may not hurt anyone, or do you engage and risk your life when he may not have hurt anyone. The thing is you never know if he will actually hurt someone or not. I dont know if i want to wait until he opens fire to engage. And two armed "ametuers" wouldnt be hard to take out. I cant rememeber wher i saw it, but there was a video of an armed citizen in a bank (he was obviously well trained) but bg's come in armed and before they can say get on the ground, gg has double tapped all 3 of them before they can even get a shot off!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

It depends...
    How many bank robbers?
    How many people in the bank?
    Can you find cover?
    Are you personally threatened, or do you think you may die?
    Have any shots been fired?

This is definitely one of those 'you just have to be there' scenarios.
    I'm not looking for any hero badge, I'm not interested in saving the bank's money (at the rate our gov is printing it) it's not going to be worth much by the time the BG's get back to the car.

I only want to be able to get home without 'leaking problems'...I'll do whatever I have to in order to accomplish that feat.

Stay armed...use common sense and think very fast...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have first hand experience when it comes to being robbed. I used to be a hotel desk clerk/night auditor. My shift was from 11pm-7am. I was robbed 5 times. Four of those robberies involved guns.

Two of the robberies involved being forced to the floor of the storage room. During each of these two robbers the BG jumped over the front desk and forced me down onto the floor of the storage room. They the put the barrel of the gun to my head and pulled the hammer back. I felt the click as the hammer went back very clearly!!! They wanted me to open the "drop safe" with the deposits from the weekend receipts. Thankfully I didn't have the combination to open the safe.

All they took was what was the cash in my drawer at the time. I don't think that if I had a gun at the time it would have made much of a difference. They just entered the lobby with their guns pointed in my direction. The longest robbery was under 3 minutes. Having a handgun wouldn't have made much of difference under these extreme circumstances.

In each of the 4 armed robberies I just let them take whatever cash I had available. Money is TOO easily made. My life was not worth the amount of money in my cash drawer.

Money is not worth dying for under any circumstances. I cooperated with the BG's during each robbery. Life's too short to worry about how much money I lost as the result of a robbery.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Easy one for me, We can't carry in banks here and I never OC so I wouldn't be armed. But if I was, I'd do what I was told anyway.

Never underestimate the element of surprise ...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I have first hand experience when it comes to being robbed. I used to be a hotel desk clerk/night auditor. My shift was from 11pm-7am. I was robbed 5 times. Four of those robberies involved guns.

Two of the robberies involved being forced to the floor of the storage room. During each of these two robbers the BG jumped over the front desk and forced me down onto the floor of the storage room. They the put the barrel of the gun to my head and pulled the hammer back. I felt the click as the hammer went back very clearly!!! They wanted me to open the "drop safe" with the deposits from the weekend receipts. Thankfully I didn't have the combination to open the safe.

All they took was what was the cash in my drawer at the time. I don't think that if I had a gun at the time it would have made much of a difference. They just entered the lobby with their guns pointed in my direction. The longest robbery was under 3 minutes. Having a handgun wouldn't have made much of difference under these extreme circumstances.

In each of the 4 armed robberies I just let them take whatever cash I had available. Money is TOO easily made. My life was not worth the amount of money in my cash drawer.

Money is not worth dying for under any circumstances. I cooperated with the BG's during each robbery. Life's too short to worry about how much money I lost as the result of a robbery.
    I wonder if that explains to me why, on so many occasions when I went into a hotel for a room, there was no one at the desk right away. (As though they were watching the lobby on a security monitor.)
    Hmmmm.

Okay, sorry for the hijack.
    Back to the OP.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post

As i said before though, you didnt know if the bg's were going to let you live or not. It all comes back to, is this a risk you are willing to take? To many times people cooperate and are still executed. Personally i would never allow someone to hold me at gunpoint. I will fight to my death before i let that happen.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links