Had to draw a few years ago.

This is a discussion on Had to draw a few years ago. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago I had an incident that I felt required me to draw. I would like some peoples opinions on this. A buddy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to draw a few years ago.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar

A few years ago I had an incident that I felt required me to draw. I would like some peoples opinions on this.

A buddy and I were working on my truck in his yard, it was near the edge of it, but clearly in his yard. I was changing out a fuel line filter, and instead of taking off my firearm, like I usually do I kept it on me.
    I was under the truck holding the lines as my buddy got out from the truck to hand me something, I forget what, when I suddenly hear a string of curses from him.
    I pull my head out from under the truck to see a large pitbull trying to take a chunk out of my friend, the neighbors pitbull had gotten loose again, and it has attacked several people already. I yell at my friend to "Run get the Gun out of the truck", remembering the plinking we had done earlier with a BB pistol actually sitting in the passenger side of the truck.
    This got the attention of the dog and it charged me. I managed to scoot my head, which I realize is at bite height for the dog, back under the truck. Now its going after my still exposed legs, I kick for all Im worth. I land several hits and avoid getting bitten, till it goes after my friend again. At this point my brain realized I still had my pistol, unfortunatly both the dog and my friend are out of sight. I scoot all the way under the truck though and try and pull my pistol....

This is were I realize drawing from a behind the hip holster while under a truck is not really all that possible, I do it, but badly injure my shoulder doing so.

Now at this point my friend comes back into view, and so does the dog still trying to get him. I actually trained my sights on the dog as I started to move out from under the truck, thats when the neighbor who owns the dogs son rushes in and gets imbetween me and the dog.
    I plant the muzzle of the gun in the dirt, and watch as the dog trying to bite the kid is dragged back to the house and put away.

Needless to say I climbed out from under the truck reholstered my weapon, and went inside to call the cops. A sheriff responded and as soon as he responded told him I was a concealed carrier, and was carrying.
    He didnt even ask where it was, just asked for my CCW, and took my statement.
    Needless to say the incident could have been worse, but Im just looking for feedback on this.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Under the circumstances you did the right thing when you almost had to shoot the pit bull. I haven't had that experience with a pit bull yet. That owner was very lucky he arrived when he did he probably saved his dogs life. Another few moments he would had a dead dog on his hands.

I've only been a CCW permitee only two months. I am not looking forward to the first time I have to draw my weapon. Had I been in that particular situation I would most likely have done the same thing. Nowadays with the nature of pit bulls I don't think I would have done anything different under the circumstances.

I tend to think you did the right thing under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I think you probably responded correctly... your friend on the other hand should have gotten in the truck and shut the door... lol.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Good thinking, I would have done the same.
    Follow up...?????

Does this dog still live next to your friend?
    Nothing else happened to the dog in question?

Stay armed...even under a car...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I would have popped the aggressive dog!

Good job all in all. You should think of carrying a LTL option also. Maybe gave the dog something to think about the next time he wants to bite somebody.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

The follow up is the dog is still there, despite the fact it has attack several children, and injured people. The local LEOs are POed because the judges wont allow them to go get the dog from the owner.
    As to LTL options, this was a lethal force situation. This dog was out for blood, and I feared for my life. I would have shot the thing if I
    A:Wasnt holding the gun one handed.
    B:In a gas soaked tshirt under the fuel tank of my truck
    C:My friend wasnt 2 feet from the dog
    D:If the kid hadnt run into my shot picture.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    The follow up is the dog is still there, despite the fact it has attack several children, and injured people. The local LEOs are POed because the judges wont allow them to go get the dog from the owner.
    As to LTL options, this was a lethal force situation. This dog was out for blood, and I feared for my life. I would have shot the thing if I
    A:Wasnt holding the gun one handed.
    B:In a gas soaked tshirt under the fuel tank of my truck
    C:My friend wasnt 2 feet from the dog
    D:If the kid hadnt run into my shot picture.
    It is a darn good thing you did not fire you weapon!!!

You could have been roasted alive or shot a kid or both!

You acted reasonably and IMHO did the right thing.

In MA you could have rightfully put that dog down right there even as the owner was on site (once you had a shot open up).
    They have a specific series of statutes toward dogs on their own.
    Check your own state laws for same or similar.

Anytime anywhere...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You did the right thing.

Like Omega said, your friend should have gotten in the truck, or on top of it.
    I'm a huge dog lover and would do whatever possible to avoid harming a dog but not at the expense of getting bit or letting someone else get bit.
    Your friends neighbor is a terrible dog owner,and not much of a person from the sound of it . The dog is just being a dog. A defective one. At a minimum it should be taken from the owner, obviously he can't control it,or train it.

I talked to my friend after the incident.
    First thing is, the BB pistol was unloaded......we hadnt reloaded it after finishing plinking when we put it back in the truck.
    Second thing is, I asked him then why he didnt get in or on the truck. First responce was, because the dog might have gone after me, and it could get me while under the truck. Second he was trying to distract it, while I got out from under the truck.

This sounds like a scary situation, I'm glad I was not there.

Maybe you should spend more time shooting one handed? You won't always have two hands available to hold the gun, as you learned.

I highly doubt you would've gone up in flames, gas soaked T-Shirt or not, if you had fired. Incidents like this is why I like a BUG I can access, no matter what position I may find myself in.

I also carry a blade and pepper spray. :hint hint:

It sounds like overall you did OK, as you both came out unscathed. That's the goal, IMO. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

I always have a blade, and until recently always had pepperspray. A friend needed it so I let her have mine. I havent replaced it yet.

I think you did well. Were you going to shoot an attacking dog with a BB gun??
    I hope that was not the plan...

I was armed, my friend was not. As to the BB pistol....it was a 1000fps model, CO2 powered semi auto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links