Rural Roadblock

Rural Roadblock

This is a discussion on Rural Roadblock within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; l live in a very rural area in north western TN. Still, crime is still present, and there has been a recent spike in home ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rural Roadblock

Rural Roadblock

l live in a very rural area in north western TN. Still, crime is still present, and there has been a recent spike in home invasions and "farm theft". Most of which has occured during daylight hours, while people were gone at work.

A few weeks ago I was driving to work. Since I work second shift, it was around 2:30pm and I was only a few minutes into my trip on a gravel road with wooded surroundings. I normally drive slow since people "fly" down these narrow back roads sometimes. As I turned a sharp corner, I can see downhill, about 75 yards away, a full sized red truck is parked sideways across the road, preventing anyone from getting passed them. There is a small, gray car that they seem to have "stopped", and the diver and passenger of the truck are walking towards the car. The minute the two people see me (and I've stopped too to get a better look at what's going on), they stop walking, and run back to the truck. They back up, and straighten out the truck in the road. The second that there is enough room for the little gray car to get around them, it does... Like a bullet. Whoever was driving the car looked scared.

I start pulling forward now too, and the red truck peels out. They were trying to get out of there in a hurry. Still, the roads are narrow and it's hard to build up speed, so I could see them as they went around some of the turns. As I near the spot where I need to turn off onto a paved road, I noticed the red truck (now about 100 yards ahead of me) pull off into a farmer's field. I know I've never seen that truck on that property before.

As it turns out, that truck belongs to my neighbor. The two in it are my neighbor's step son and his friend. Both have warrents for their arrest and both are known meth heads. A few days after this, the police tried to stop the truck, but the two in it bailed out and got away. As far as I know, they haven't been caught yet.

Even though no one was hurt during this encounter, what would you have done if you were in that little gray car's shoes? For instance, you round a corner on a back road and there's a truck blocking your way. The road is too narrow to turn around very fast, and the driver of the truck is headed your way, he appears unarmed, but possibly high. The passenger is out of the truck, but stays on the opposet side of it, partially obstructed from your view...
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

I'm afraid my pulse rate at that time would be so high that if I was even capable of pulling my gun i'd probably empty it into them before I was sure that they were really a threat. That is scary to even think about, more less to actually go through it. I'd hope I had plenty of ammo and enough dexterity to reload.

Put the car in reverse and back up as far as I could. That would at least put some distance between me and them. While backing up, I would try to call 911 if it was safe to do so. If they got in the truck and started chasing me, then all bets are off. From this point I would have my gun in hand, but not display it until it was required. Hopefully they would lose interest before it goes too far.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I tend to echo what Deadeye72 said. Try and remove yourself from the potentially dangerous situation. I will vary my response from his a little bit.

Driving a vehicle in reverse is hard enough under those stressful circumstances. Once you are back in "drive" dial 911 on your cell phone. Once you are speeding away and 911 has received all the necessary info, be ready to draw your handgun if need be under the circumstances.

Up to this point you've done everything right.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I would of been calling 911 and reporting my observation when It happened,as far as the same scenario ,reverse and try to leave,call 911 and be prepared to defend myself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Put the car in reverse and back up as far as I could. That would at least put some distance between me and them. While backing up, I would try to call 911 if it was safe to do so. If they got in the truck and started chasing me, then all bets are off. From this point I would have my gun in hand, but not display it until it was required. Hopefully they would lose interest before it goes too far.
    +1 pretty much.

Out where I am, many times those remote dirt roads have no cell service. So, it's time to turn around and go somewhere else.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

HMMM.....If I were the guy in the gray car? I would do the same as most of you, Back up while retrieving weapon and call 911 on speaker so I had both hands free. Make a good description of suspects, vehicle and possibly get a tag #. Not be a statistic-that's for sure!
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

I'm outta' there...NOW!

Call 911 if/when you have bars...

Stay armed...watch the rear view mirror...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Backing up seems like the wise thing to do. However, I did have an additional thought. As long as no weapons are in sight and their hands are visable, I might back up about 10 feet and stop. Let them close an additional 10 and then back up again. Repeat as often as necessary if they keep following. If I then need to make a hasty retreat, they are further from their vehicle. I could put more distance between is if they decided to give chase. I would also get gun in hand because this sounds like an ambush. Dialing 911 would be a good idea when you have a chance.

I realize this tactic might also add some extra risk, so doing so would purely be a judgement call.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    For instance, you round a corner on a back road and there's a truck blocking your way. The road is too narrow to turn around very fast, and the driver of the truck is headed your way, he appears unarmed, but possibly high. The passenger is out of the truck, but stays on the opposet side of it, partially obstructed from your view...
    I guess it would depend on if I really need to get past the folks in the truck. If I had a real serious need to get past them, I would survey the sides of the road and if need be put it in 4wd and simply go around them. One advantage of driving a Jeep I guess.

If there were no real reason to get past them I would turn around and head the other direction. The guy walking towards me unarmed would be of little concern to me as long as I am in my vehicle. A person will not stop a vehicle if the driver is intent on getting past or through them.

Either way, a call to 911 would be in order.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

First thing I would do is be glad I am not driving a little gray car! I would probably back up to create distance. At that point depending on what I was seeing and feeling I might stop to ask if they needed any assistance. If things started to go bad I would then have to decide if I am backing out, if I have space to go around, or if I will just push through.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Defintley going to be getting out of there like everybody says!
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

jfl
    I am amazed at all the people who say: "Call 911" first.
    A couple years ago, we rode our Harleys from Sturgis SD to West Palm Beach FL, 2500 miles of 2 lane back roads.
    For the first 1500 miles of the trip, we were out of cell coverage; knowing that Nextel was useless, I had rented a Cingular ATT for the trip, didn't help much.
    And if you manage to have a decent connection, the closest cop is probably 20-30 minutes away.
    I live 12 miles from West Palm Beach; I cannot get a signal in the house, and barely 1 bar outside (ATT)
    In my opinion, in this type of situation, there are more important things to do than to start fiddling with a cell phone.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for calling LE, I am just trying to say that a dependence on outside help via a gadget that is not that reliable should not be your first reflex when you life is threatened.

Under stress, things happen to your thinking process; the last thing you want to do is to fixate on calling, because it might well be the last thing you will do !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I work as an unarmed security officer. This brings up something that happened a few years ago. I was assigned to guard a site that was over 5 miles off a main road. The local utility company was having some work done on one of the substations. This was located on a "private" road owned by the utility company. I was going to be assigned there for 3 days.

I drove out to the main power plant around 15 miles north of Las Vegas. On the drive out there the cell phone service my security company kept turning on & off. We use the walkie talkie feature. As I'm about to drive onto this private road I notify my command center I'll be on duty very shortly.

As I'm driving the final 5 miles up this road I lose ALL service on the work phone. I than check my personal cell phone and the display reads "No Service." I'm now 5 miles out in the middle of nowhere with no way of contacting anyone if I need assistance. That was a VERY tense night for me. The shift was from 4pm-12am.

The following 2 nights I made a point of bringing my .45 with me to work. I kept in nearby if there was a need to use it. During the shift there was no lighting of any kind at this site as well. Talk about feeling a little vulnerable. Being that isolated with no way of contacting anyone is a little discomforting to say the least.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I have to wonder if the person in the grey car knew the guys in the truck. Unless I missed it, you didn't mention if driving the grey car was a male or female. Could this be a domestic issue, i.e. jealous boyfriend tracking down his ex?

I've wandered the backroads of IN and IL for years, even living out in the boonies for a few years. In my experience, most rural people know everyone else, and their business, etc. I wonder if these guys were trying to get something from that specific individual, and when they saw another driver approaching, decided to bolt.

Back to the original question, if it were me in the grey car, I would immediately know something is *not right* since the truck is blocking the road. I've pulled up on people that have slipped off the road (especially gravel - too fast, fishtail, slideoff) and pulled them back on if they couldn't on their own. Realizing this was a bad situation, I would have made sure all doors were locked, windows rolled up, and calmly made my way out of there. Even a compact car can be a pretty good defensive weapon if used the correct way... All the the other ideas mentioned apply as well - call 911, be ready with sidearm (if armed), etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links