Man rescues sons from car thieves

This is a discussion on Man rescues sons from car thieves within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened here in Indy a few days ago. One of the scariest situations I can imagine. There seems to be a trend lately of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man rescues sons from car thieves

This happened here in Indy a few days ago. One of the scariest situations I can imagine. There seems to be a trend lately of thieves targeting people warming up there cars in the morning. There have been several home invasions and numerous cars stolen using this technique. Something to think about while getting ready to go somewhere...

Indy man helps rescue own sons from car thieves
    Man, wife briefly had left the vehicle idling before 2 teens jumped in and sped away

A father risked his own life Sunday to chase thieves who took his family's car from the driveway with his sons in the back seat. The thieves ditched the car less than a mile away and shot at the man three times before leaving the children unharmed.
    "I'm feeling like God had his hand on me and my family today," said Tom Ardizone, whose car was idling outside his family's Northwestside home when it was stolen. "It's only through God that we all got through this OK."
    The string of events began about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, when Tom Ardizone and his wife Shawn, of the 6600 block of Antelope Lane, left the boys alone in the back seat of her Acura TL, idling in the driveway, while the couple made a quick dash back into their home.
    When Ardizone, 37, returned to the vehicle, he saw a stranger driving the car out of the driveway as the boys, 4-year-old Luke and 7-year-old Andrew, screamed for help.
    The boys' mother, Shawn Ardizone, 36, ran toward the car, shouting at the driver to stop.
    "All I could think was, 'God please protect them,' that's all I could think -- keep them safe," she said.
    Ardizone said he jumped into the family SUV and took off after the suspects who headed south on Lafayette Road. He also called 911.
    Three of Ardizone's neighbors who saw the commotion also went after the suspects in their vehicles.
    Ardizone was close behind when he saw the car thieves pull off the road and get out near the intersection of Lafayette Road and Shanghai Road, leaving the children inside.
    As Ardizone pulled up alongside his wife's car, the suspect pointed a gun at him, he said.
    Three shots were fired, Ardizone said. One hit a tire, another went through the vehicle and the third hit Ardizone. He suffered a superficial wound to the buttocks and was treated at Methodist Hospital and released.
    The suspects, later identified only as 16- and 17-year-old boys, fled in a silver Ford Escape that was reported stolen on Friday, police said.
    Marion County Sheriff's deputies later apprehended them.
    Capt. Brian Mahone said parents need to be more mindful of leaving children in unlocked, running vehicles.
    "You're inviting criminals to run with your children," he said.
    Statistics also show that roughly a quarter to a third of the more than 6,000 cars stolen in Marion County last year had the keys left inside.
    Ardizone said the wireless communication technology in his wife's car, called Bluetooth, helped end the chase.
    "Basically, when I called 911, the man in the Acura could hear the (police) dispatch come on and say 'What's your emergency?' " Ardizone said.
    That's when his older son, Andrew, screamed for help.
    Andrew told the driver if he didn't stop the car he would hit him in the head with his Star Wars Lightsaber, Ardizone said.
    The suspect threaten to shoot the boy, Ardizone said.
    Ardizone said the suspect fled before sheriff's deputies converged on the scene.
    "Like they say, it's your worst possible nightmare," Ardizone said Sunday evening.

The link: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...602270432/1006
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Senior Moderator
    The suspect threaten to shoot the boy, Ardizone said.
    Somebody needs to find those punks and administer a serious whoopin...

Assistant Administrator
    16- and 17-year-old boys
    WHAT!!!! Geez - things just get worse.!
    Capt. Brian Mahone said parents need to be more mindful of leaving children in unlocked, running vehicles.
    "You're inviting criminals to run with your children," he said.
    That may (sadly) be true but hell - NO ONE but no one should have to consider such crap happening in first place - if it wasn't for punks like these.

Punks who most likely are - quoting their parents - ''such nice quiet boys'' - yeah right!

I am thankful to not only live in a quiet road where even out front I could hardly see this as likely - too good a view - and my truck gets warmed up out back - so that is no problem.

Oh my - I get so enraged these days - what have we spawned in this new generation <sigh>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, leaving the kids in the car was dumb, no doubt. I won't even leave my crappy little Honda running in the driveway to warm it up, and neither it or anything in it is worth more than $1500. That said, those punks deserve to die.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I hope that they get the stiffest punshment possible
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

The saddest thing is you should be able to leave your car running in your driveway and not have to think twice about it. But as we all know in this day and age that is just not realistic, A sad commentary as to where we are in this society today.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ordy1
    The saddest thing is you should be able to leave your car running in your driveway and not have to think twice about it.
    Oddly leaving your car running in the driveway is illegal in a lot of places. The had one of those "light boards" at the entrance of my neighborhood a few weeks ago to let people know that if they were caught leaving their vehicle running to warm up in the driveway it would cost them $60. Had to admit, that was news to me.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Andrew told the driver if he didn't stop the car he would hit him in the head with his Star Wars Lightsaber, Ardizone said.
    Half sadly, half jokingly but it seems he was the only one ready to do what was supposed to be done.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quick update from the news this morning. Apparently the 17yo who drove the stolen vehicle and shot the dad got away - they only captured the 16yo driving the getaway car.

Since he is looking at spending the rest of his life in prison as an accessory to a bunch of federal crimes, it shouldn't take too long for him to roll on his buddy. Hopefully Bubba is getting a bunk warmed up for these guys...

P95 - I wish I was still living in the country! My parents didn't even have locks on their doors at the farm; we would just prop chairs under the doorknobs when we went on vacation.

I let my car warm up when it's cold... but I carry 2 keys for the car and lock it when I'm not in it. If I'm not getting in or out of the car, the doors are locked. In any case, I sure as he!! don't leave my kids in the car while it's warming up!

Yeah, someone could smash the window and run with it, but if they want the car bad enough, they're going to get it anyway. That's what insurance is for. I doubt that my Toyota Echo is really that attractive to criminals anyway, and they _sure_ aren't going to outrun any cops in it :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    Yeah, someone could smash the window and run with it, but if they want the car bad enough, they're going to get it anyway. That's what insurance is for.
    +1 for me. My diesel truck takes forever to warm up, especially when it gets below freezing. Once it's warm, I hate to shut her off and lose the heat! I leave it running and lock it when going into a stop 'n rob for coffee or something, but I can't imagine leaving my daughter sitting in an idleing vehicle locked or otherwise.

This is sad, I'm glad that the kids are okay. I remember when my friends lived in what used to be the country and they would leave the keys in the car and in the tractor so you didn't loose them. Not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    I let my car warm up when it's cold... but I carry 2 keys for the car and lock it when I'm not in it. If I'm not getting in or out of the car, the doors are locked. In any case, I sure as he!! don't leave my kids in the car while it's warming up!

Yeah, someone could smash the window and run with it, but if they want the car bad enough, they're going to get it anyway. That's what insurance is for. I doubt that my Toyota Echo is really that attractive to criminals anyway, and they _sure_ aren't going to outrun any cops in it :)
    I would not leave my car running with my dog in it, let lone a kid. Not good thinking. Too easy to have extra key, and if kids were in vehicle, Parking brake set too.

I have read of at least 10 vehicles leaving home without the owners just in the last month or so. All running and unlocked. Makes it very easy for the thieves.

Very happy they got their kids back, but we need to understand there are a lot of bad people out there, and take steps to protect ourselves.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

los
    I wish these events were "foreseeable". But we surely don't have that crystal ball, ..do we??? If so, there would probably be a plethora of dead BG's laying in driveways all across this great Country.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los
    I wish these events were "foreseeable". But we surely don't have that crystal ball, ..do we??? If so, there would probably be a plethora of dead BG's laying in driveways all across this great Country.
    Not forseeable but preventable.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links