The "What IF" thread- Please give your thoughts.

This is a discussion on The "What IF" thread- Please give your thoughts. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lengthy but please read it all and comment I just watched the "watchmaker" video and this is a thread I have thought about for a ...

Thread: The "What IF" thread- Please give your thoughts.

The "What IF" thread- Please give your thoughts.

Lengthy but please read it all and comment

I just watched the "watchmaker" video and this is a thread I have thought about for a while, this video has confirmed that thought...

So many of the scenarios that we read about have what if's surrounding them. VERY few, if any are so clear cut that there were more than one possible endings.

I have heard MANY comments like "what if it was a friend playing a practical joke?" or "what if he didn't really have a gun?" or "what if it was a paintball or airsoft gun?"... well I think the gentleman (ie: watchmaker) in the aforementioned video summed it well when he said something along the lines of "I decided not the become a victom" and "there is no negotiation when someone has a gun pointed in your face".

These are all very real questions that we all face (those of us who legally carry a firearm concealed or otherwise). I have made up my mind that IF I am ever in the UNLIKELY (Lord willing) event of someone threatening my life or my loved ones with death or great bodily harm...THERE WILL BE NO NEGOTIATING!!!!

I am not trying to sound like a Charles Bronson type or a hardened individual. I am just saying that I will take the bad guy at his word! You simply don't know what the outcome will be if you choose not to take action. I choose to take action and thus I feel I am GREATLY increasing my chances of knowing what the outcome will be!

I train and finetune my gun shooting deffensive skill not because I wish to second guess that the bad guy will not carry out what he has stated he will do...I have the skills that I have and continue to increase my proficiency at to take him at his word...hmmm...

Most bad guys are cheats, liers, thieves... I will always asssume that if you choose to threaten me, you are in that moment telling the truth!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I agree that anyone who is willing to verbally threaten me with death wheather or not I can see a weapon will be assumed to be in posession of one. There is no reason for me to think otherwise. Anyone who assumes otherwise is in trouble.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I am usually a peaceable man...usually!
    I'm too old to fight, always willing to apologize, my desire is to walk away...from the problems of others...sometimes I might not be able to do so. What if I have to defend myself or my family? I will...

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How is it your concern if its an imitation firearm or not? All you see is the threat, which is real, and its now. You have to act accordingly. Unless there's some way to know, you must proceed on the assumption that its a real firearm. This is also the procedure for law enforcement and military.

Friend playing practical joke - If you have such friends, get rid of them with the shortest possible delay. It may save their lives.

Fake gun - You don't know that. If it seems real, assume it is.

As for negotiating, it may be neccessary to verbally communicate with the BG prior to presenting your weapon, depending on the situation. The plan, of course, should be to eliminate the threat ASAP, not beg for your life.

The only response is to stop the threat and protect your family ,and your self at what ever the cost; PERIOD THE END.

There is no time to respond in any other manner. You will sleep fine.

DD

Playing a game like that is why cops shoot people all the time down here. I have never seen a cop get convicted for shooting a BG with a toy gun not to mention a real one. Those games will get you nowhere good
    2A is not negotiable

Question Let me ask you this...

If a BG is armed, they are obviously threatening, can you take the risk they will just leave you unharmed as a whitness to their crime...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I agree that anyone who is willing to verbally threaten me with death wheather or not I can see a weapon will be assumed to be in posession of one. There is no reason for me to think otherwise. Anyone who assumes otherwise is in trouble.

I agree 100%

My dad taught me something when I was very young. A gun is a gun...it doesnt matter if its a 9mm, a 12 gauge or a cap gun. If I had my toy gun or cap gun out and was not practicing safety (ie- pointing it at others etc) my dad would slap me.

To save your own life or protect another its a split second decision you have to make. If someone is man or woman enough to pull the gun on you (real or fake) they better be man or woman enough to except the consequences.

If you dont know the person and a gun is in your face, real or not...you will instinctively make the decision to protect yourself. I know I would.

I honestly wish my late Dad would have introduced my to guns as a child. It would have made me understand the responsibilities of gun ownership as a young man.

I was surprised when my Dad asked to borrow a gun to protect him & my Mom around 10 years ago. I bought a gun a local gun store with my Dad in mind. I made a point of telling him that I expected him to demonstrate that he could safely handle, store, etc. when it came to handgun safety.

After a visit to a local range I was satisfied he could safely use this gun to protect himself & my Mom.

Last year after he passed away from several forms of cancer my Dad promised me to locate this gun. He made sure to show me where he hid this gun so Mom would not get upset at him for having a gun in their home.

I have my "Dad's" .38 revolver in my safe. I will never fire this gun again. This was the last gun my Dad fired in his life. I consider it a personal possession that has more "sentimental" value than as a firearm I want to fire again.

Just a thought!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Never take a threatning situation lightly, especially from a stranger. If they want to dance then they better be ready to tango.

On the airsoft thing, as an active player I can say they make them more identical to their real counter parts in every way anymore, I'm not standing there and deciding if its real or not.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    Playing a game like that is why cops shoot people all the time down here. I have never seen a cop get convicted for shooting a BG with a toy gun not to mention a real one. Those games will get you nowhere good
    Pointing a pellet gun at a LEO got a fifteen year old kid killed here. The kid brought the gun to school and caused a lock down. The LEO encountered the boy in the boys bathroom and the boy raised the gun and pointed it at the LEO.The LEO shot and killed the boy. Stupid moves cause tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalrob View Post
    My dad taught me something when I was very young. A gun is a gun...it doesnt matter if its a 9mm, a 12 gauge or a cap gun. If I had my toy gun or cap gun out and was not practicing safety (ie- pointing it at others etc) my dad would slap me.
    +1 for your dad, at least he put you in the right direction. Had he not you may not have the respect you have today for guns.

If it were a friend of mine I would have a set down talk with him/her ASAP. I don't throw away friends that quickly and it may make sense to them once they are reminded of what can happen.
    All my friends have been around guns all their lives and have a good head on their shoulders so I don't believe it would ever happen to begin with.
    Remember if you don't look out for your friends..., maybe you are not one yourself.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links