Hypothetical Scenario Questions (What if...)

This is a discussion on Hypothetical Scenario Questions (What if...) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I was reading some other posts on another thread and read this link Trolley Square shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I started thinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Scenario Questions (What if...)

Hypothetical Scenario Questions (What if...)

Ok, I was reading some other posts on another thread and read this link Trolley Square shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I started thinking about this type scenario and observed it could happen to anyone of us on a "normal" day.

Now lets say you are in one of the other stores just doing some shopping, and then you hear the gun shots from down the mall in another store. For the sake of the scenario lets all agree step 1 is to call or instruct someone else to call 911 while you are assesing the situation. Now I realize that nothing is set in stone about any scenario and its always going to be a "depends on the situation" decision every second.

So now some questions to discuss/ponder:

(please add more to the thread)

Do you leave the store to investigate or take cover and protect those in the store?

If you leave the store to investigate and see the off duty officer returning fire do you identify yourself and offer assistance, if so how do you know he isnt the BG or part of a team of BG's

If you are with your family vs alone......do you change how you respond?

What do you do when the cavalry comes busting in and spots you with a gun?

2. Remove Ads

Well as you said it depends on the situation. If i think its the safe thing to do i get me and my loved ones out of the mall and call 911. If the shot is in the store im in thats a different situation. I wouldnt go and try to help. The police are going to have hard enough time without trying to figure out whos the GG and whos the BG. All they are going to know is two or more people are shooting guns in a mall full of people. I think i may have read it here but the best way to survive a gunfight is not be there. Never been in that situation. Hope i never am. If so my opinions may change but as of now I say if its safe, get out, call 911 and try to be a good witness.

I'm getting as far back into a store as I can get and still see what's moving in my direction. I'm also on the phone.
    It is not my job to protect the mall, that's Paul Blart's job.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If it is me, I'm on the phone to Dial a Prayer (911). Regardless of whether I'm alone or my family is with me, we move to cover. If there is a back exit to the store we use it. In the scenario described my weapon will still be holstered since there is no immediate threat to me and my family. I am a law abiding CC'er, not a LEO or Rambo wannabe.

Take cover or move towards an exit ASAP while covering you family. You have no idea who or how many shooters are involved so you would be putting yourself at risk. Unless the trouble comes to you don't go looking for it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If we're in a mall then my family is spread out all over the place. I would have to go and look for them. I would go from CC to OC with hand on grip and staying low. I would be on phone with wife and daughter trying to figure out where they are at. I would avoid any and all people with guns. I don't know who is who and it's not my job to find out either. Once my family is together again we are outta there through any door, window, garbage chute available.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Well if it were me and I were alone and the gunman was an immediate threat they would get a COM full of .38special +P hollow points delivered by my trusty Colt Cobra. Now if he weren't an immediate threat I'd call 911 and be out of there. When we go to the mall I keep us all together so in case this happens we can all get to safety together.

don't get me wrong if I were to come upon the gunman and he was standing over a defenseless mother and her children,even if i were behind the S.O.B. I'd take him out. But other wise wouldn't go out seeking him I'm not a LEO to me always.always avoid a gun fight if you can. the best gun fight is the one your not in.

Good stuff so far guys..... great food for thought... keep it coming.

I realize you can never know how it will happen.......

Just thinking a bit tho would you be able to witness somebody shooting innocent people and actually do nothing, and just escape out the back?

If thats true..... if you had been at Virginia Tech or Columbine..... you would have just left out a window or something?

I am not sure how I would react..... that the point..... keep the thoughts coming.

VIP Member
    I would call 911 and then Iím out of there! You see, Iím blessed to have problems come to me, so I donít have to go looking for them.
    ~ No Sheepdog for old Strangers ~
    Regards,
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Cytoviper View Post

Just thinking a bit tho would you be able to witness somebody shooting innocent people and actually do nothing, and just escape out the back?

No-one knows for sure but I believe I would help, I could not live with myself if I didn't. That said circumstances would dictate how and when I would help.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If I were at the location of the shooter, I would certainly move to stop him, especially if someone was actively threatened. However, if I'm not at the location, but a different part of the mall, I wouldn't go looking for him. I would leave, or hold up in a store with cover, and only draw if they came into the store. This would especially true if my family was with me. My first duty is to my family's protection. Now, if we were separated, I would try to find them, even if it required going into the vicinity of the shooter. I would move carefully, either maintaining cover, or noting the near by cover that I can use if needed.

A. G.O.O.D. (Get out of Dodge)
    B. 911
    C. Rally at family car.
    D. Drive like H-E-double hockey sticks.

IF family is not together, I am NOT walking down the mall gun in hand.
    I don't know who else is watching (gunman's buddies, some other overeager CWFL holder, Gecko45, etc.).

I would get family on phone (I hope) and tell them how to get out. There is a back door in all of those stores somewhere.
    Rally at family car.

This is a really good reason to make sure that family tell each other where they are going, and to go nowhere else without touching base with appropriate parental unit.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 27th, 2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarification
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

As I suspect has already been said (I only read the OP), I would attempt to get the heck out of there pronto. If an exit were not available, I would take cover and wait for the cavalry. I would only leave cover to go find a loved one.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm getting as far back into a store as I can get and still see what's moving in my direction. I'm also on the phone.
    It is not my job to protect the mall, that's Paul Blart's job.
    Archer51

+1 +1 +1
    Not my deal I'm not a LEO so I get the hell out of dodge and try to cover my own six as well as loved ones if present.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

I am maintaining a low profile with my gun ready but concealed.

I will not try to move a long distance to some "safer" place. (The grass is always greener).

If there is bad guy activity close to me, then I may respond if appropriate, but I am not going looking for trouble.

Parents and spouses need to discuss this possibility with family members to have a SAFE plan for dangerous situations.

Capt. Art

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links