Saw a crime in progress today...A lesson learned

This is a discussion on Saw a crime in progress today...A lesson learned within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Doing my usual stop at a major chain drug store for muches enroute to a night job. I notice 2 ordinary teeny bopper (13 & ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saw a crime in progress today...A lesson learned

Doing my usual stop at a major chain drug store for muches enroute to a night job. I notice 2 ordinary teeny bopper (13 & 16 maybe) girls near the store exit...no big deal. OK, they were white....sorry.

One minute later, as I am getting ready to exit the parking lot, I see the same girls dashing for a compact car accompanied by 3 "gansta/dreadlock" young Afros...the car driven by one of the girls whips around the parking lot in reverse while the store Mgr is in the parking lot frantically shouting into a cell phone. Whoa says I....THEN the car squeezes by me on my left and turns right into oncoming traffic barely missing geting T-boned. It dawns on me to follow for a 911 update...no such luck...they are gone and scored some green lights which turned to red on me.

Point of the story, I wish I had grabbed a tag number and kick my self for being a little slow on the uptake SA wise. It was proabaly a shop lifting & run scenario so being in CC mode didn't mean a thing.
    Bottom line, you never know when you could be in the middle of something gone wrong. I will update on what actually went down.

In my experience you shouldn't profile. Not because it is wrong, but because it doesn't work. Hope nobody got hurt. I really should carry a pen again. I used to always keep my space pen in my wallet but it had... an unfortunate incident happen to it. So now I am penless. Next time I'm at the base I'll pick a new one up, they are 10 bucks less there than in civilian stores.

And I would always be especially wary around the younger people, they often don't know or care about consequences. I know a girl that was involved with two other girls 16-17 yo that broke into a liquor store that was closed to rob it. All white girls. So ya can't profile... it doesn't work. Gotta be equally aware of everyone you meet/see... even the little old lady with a walker could go crazy on you.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    In my experience you shouldn't profile. Not because it is wrong, but because it doesn't work. Hope nobody got hurt. I really should carry a pen again. I used to always keep my space pen in my wallet but it had... an unfortunate incident happen to it. So now I am penless. Next time I'm at the base I'll pick a new one up, they are 10 bucks less there than in civilian stores.

And I would always be especially wary around the younger people, they often don't know or care about consequences. I know a girl that was involved with two other girls 16-17 yo that broke into a liquor store that was closed to rob it. All white girls. So ya can't profile... it doesn't work. Gotta be equally aware of everyone you meet/see... even the little old lady with a walker could go crazy on you.
    Hopefully nobody takes this the wrong way but I must disagree. Profiling is a very effective tool. If I see a bear and a deer in the woods I am more afraid of the bear (but aware of both). While both have been know to attack humans, one is statistically far more likely. The same tactics can be used on the streets, it may not be as cut and dry but it's still effective.
    Last edited by Chemistry08; April 27th, 2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Grammatical error.

I agree. Besides your normal everyday SA, profiling is one of the most effective tools for threat assesment you have, in my experience. Say what you want but it works.

The Bear/Deer analogy is a good one.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

The area where I work is pretty rough and it's been my experience that the thugs and gang bangers want you to know they are thugs and gang bangers so they dress and act accordingly.
    I think we all "profile" even if we don't realize it at the time.

OP I'm glad you learned from your experience. Nobody was hurt (that you're aware of) and you learned an important lesson. I would say not a bad day at all.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Sorry.....but profiling DOES work. It sucks for those being profiled, but I am not going to let political correctness get in my way when it comes to this subjet. I scrutinize everyone, but I have to keep my eye on the unsavory characters in my area.

As an example....Even the nicely dressed hispanic dudes around here are worth looking at. That nice clean blue and white stiped bowling shirt he is wearing is the MS13 colors. He may only be a MS13 wannabee, but he's wearing the colors. It's all SA related. If you don't know about it, it can bite you in the A@%.
    2A is not negotiable

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    We rely on prejudices all the time. We do so because it's economical to rely on experience with categories. The damage comes when we blindly assume characteristics about a specific individual based on the generalization we've made about a group. Generalizations are valid as generalizations. But they are not valid as specifications.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry08 View Post
    Hopefully nobody takes this the wrong way but I must disagree. Profiling is a very effective tool. If I see a bear and a deer in the woods I am more afraid of the bear (but aware of both). While both have been know to attack humans, one is statistically far more likely. The same tactics can be used on the streets, it may not be as cut and dry but it's still effective.
    Very good analogy.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    I try to be fair minded, but when it quacks, wobbles, has a bill, and webbed feet...I usually assume it's a duck.

I find myself feeling a little different when surrounded by a pack of girl scouts verses being in the midst of thugs with pants below their butts just hanging around and watching people.

I'm just sayin...

In school I know the thugs...they know me, not a problem and they know their limitations. On the street it's a different story...I don't know them, and they don't know me.

Stay armed...be very watchful...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Our mind is instinctively aware of anything and most anyone whom is perceived as a potential threat. We actually come from the factory that way, although our so-called civilized culture has done a lot to unvarnish those innate skills.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I agree. Profiling is an extremely important part of SA. At the same time (and you already know this, I'm just saying), that guy getting out of his Porsche wearing a suit or that little old lady may be a threat. Use profiling, but don't rely on it.

Profiling doesn't always work, as the OP seemed to illustrate, but it is a good general indicator....something to tell you to be more alert given certain conditions. Location, style of dress, establishments frequented, etc., don't paint a full picture of someone, but it does give clues to what behavior(s) that person may subscribe to. Its a tool, and can be effective in some situations.

I really do like the comparison but it can be wrong. Sometimes our Human deer dress like bears and the human bears dress like deer. That can really throw you off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links