Honest opinions on this

This is a discussion on Honest opinions on this within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, here it is. I'll try to keep it concise. What would you do if you found yourself on the wrong end of a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest opinions on this

Honest opinions on this

Ok, here it is. I'll try to keep it concise. What would you do if you found yourself on the wrong end of a gun in a robbery situation?
    -didn't have a chance to draw weapon--see notes on bottom
    -obviously no certain knowledge if BG will rob you and leave or kill you regardless; not really any witnesses around to deter him from doing so

My thought would be to look for an opportunity to draw, but if none presents itself, cooperate and hope they leave peacefully when they have your watch/wallet, etc.---Assuming you are not with wife and/or kids. I don't think that is cowardly, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you think you would honestly do.

*** Because of the way the laws are set up,(i.e. along the lines of being in imminent danger and/or weapon being shown by BG before deadly force/brandishing weapon can be used) it doesn't seem too far fetched for someone to be on the wrong end of a BG's gun and no opportunity to draw without probably taking one or more to the chest. I KNOW that some of you will say that would never happen because they're ALWAYS in condition yellow or higher. But realistically, if someone really wants to kill/harm/surprise someone, and are crazy enough to plan it well, there is not much you can do.
    A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace. ---James Madison, The Federalist Papers

2. Remove Ads

Your last sentence pretty much says it all. They got the drop on you...you have zero element of surprise. Give them what they want and if an opportunity presents itself to counter do so with extreme care.

Having had weapon retention/disarming training I can attest to it being a "last ditch, nothing to lose" proposition.

If you try to take my gun I will be fighting for my life. If I try to take your gun I will be fighting for my life. What stands out in my mind, following this training is how often the good guy, that's me in the drills and exercises, ends up dead.

It's not something to be done half way. It takes 100% total commitment with the expectation that you will die. The thing is, I'm not going down easily if I have any say in the matter.

No one can tell another person how they should deal with this type of situation, as they are all different. Nor should anyone criticise someone if they comply with an armed attacker that has the drop on them. I have faced a gun twice and I am here today because I didn't try to disarm the person or draw, but each situation is different.

In my two situations I made the right choice for me at the time. The next time may be different, I don't know. We each have to make that decision for ourselves when the time comes.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 28th, 2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Moderator
    What stands out in my mind, following this training is how often the good guy, that's me in the drills and exercises, ends up dead.
    Amen to that.

The thing is, you can do everything right and still end up dead.
    It happens.

If you find yourself in a situation, all you can do is fight to win and fight to the end, because thats what it may be for you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The thing is, you can do everything right and still end up dead.
    It happens.
    In fact, we all will, sooner or later.

We are just trying to have input into the how and when.

At my age, I have thought of faking a heart attack as a way to gain access to my weapon with more of a chance of the BG not realizing until I could have drawn. Would work even better if dear wifey screens him from my strong hand while I am clutching my chest.

As has been posted already, it is situation specific. In fear that he will shoot, I think I would rather go down trying, especially if family are present. Hard scenario.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    This is a scenario where there is no right or wrong answer. What you do will have to depend on how you interpret your assailants behavior. If you feel that he's only after the money and will take it and run without shooting, then let him have it. If in your mind you feel that you are going to be shot regardless of whether you do what your told, then hope for the best and try and save yourself. Remember there is only One who knows if it is your day to die, and as far as I know He doesn't tell you in advance.

EdC
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    My thought would be to look for an opportunity to draw, but if none presents itself, cooperate and hope they leave peacefully when they have your watch/wallet, etc.---Assuming you are not with wife and/or kids.
    I'd consider cooperation even if I was with my kids, because cooperating might be the safest thing to do for them, too. However, I might be more inclined to take the chances and draw and put enough rounds in the BG before I couldn't shoot any longer. Depends if my kids remembered what to do if they see Dad go for his gun. Very situational, and food for thought. Reminds me of the saying that "the gun isn't the weapon, it's your mind (or you) that's the weapon" or some variation thereof. To me, having a gun means just having one more option.

Quote Originally Posted by flaboatbum View Post
    Your last sentence pretty much says it all. They got the drop on you...you have zero element of surprise. Give them what they want and if an opportunity presents itself to counter do so with extreme care.
    I agree and would like to add that IF you have even the slightest chance you should also counter with extreme violence. Overwhelm them to the point they are scared of you, but keep your mouth shut. You don't want to go off and say some stupid crap that can be used against you by an over zealous DA while you are taking his head off, just take it off and go home to your family.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I agree and would like to add that IF you have even the slightest chance you should also counter with extreme violence. Overwhelm them to the point they are scared of you, but keep your mouth shut. You don't want to go off and say some stupid crap that can be used against you by an over zealous DA while you are taking his head off, just take it off and go home to your family.
    Correct! It's your life or his if you have a chance to counter do it and do it well. No stopping until he stops moving then you know the threat is no longer present.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

VIP Member
    I agree with the counter to "end" the threat comments. If you get a chance that you feel a counter attack may work, then do it to end the threat. Not just to get away.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

There are too many variables to be able to say "I would do ____."

Just remember that the gun isn't (or at least shouldn't be) your only option when it comes to delivering deadly force to the BG.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    Ok, here it is. I'll try to keep it concise. What would you do if you found yourself on the wrong end of a gun in a robbery situation?
    -didn't have a chance to draw weapon--see notes on bottom
    -obviously no certain knowledge if BG will rob you and leave or kill you regardless; not really any witnesses around to deter him from doing so

My thought would be to look for an opportunity to draw, but if none presents itself, cooperate and hope they leave peacefully when they have your watch/wallet, etc.---Assuming you are not with wife and/or kids. I don't think that is cowardly, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you think you would honestly do.

*** Because of the way the laws are set up,(i.e. along the lines of being in imminent danger and/or weapon being shown by BG before deadly force/brandishing weapon can be used) it doesn't seem too far fetched for someone to be on the wrong end of a BG's gun and no opportunity to draw without probably taking one or more to the chest. I KNOW that some of you will say that would never happen because they're ALWAYS in condition yellow or higher. But realistically, if someone really wants to kill/harm/surprise someone, and are crazy enough to plan it well, there is not much you can do.
    This is how you handle this kind of situation.

YouTube - William Shatner Demonstrates Proper Gun Control
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

You have to make judgement call. Is he going to rob me or rob and kill me? If all he wants is my money, I give it to him. In fact, I may throw my wallet to the left and then run to the right while screaming and yelling. He'll probably chase the wallet instead of the screaming guy that just ditched his wallet.

If I determine that I'm likely dead either way, a diversion would be nice. I have often considered moving my gaze from him to just over his shoulder to make him think someone is coming up behind him. If he turns to look that might be enough chance to pull and fire. Of coarse, this is a lot easier to say while sitting at a desk. It would be very different with a gun pointing at you.

Tossing the wallet at the perp's feet is a viable distraction that just might buy you enough time.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

The worst part would be not having any cash in your wallet, I never carry cash.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links