New old scam...

New old scam...

This is a discussion on New old scam... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got this in an email yesterday. You should all know better but here it is..... Another new scam in Waco , TX . (Officer Mitzel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New old scam...

New old scam...

Got this in an email yesterday. You should all know better but here it is.....

Another new scam in Waco , TX . (Officer Mitzel is over the COPs program) here in Waco .

Important info

A friend just got home from his COP (Citizens on Patrol) meeting and he said their speaker, Officer Mitzel, said that there is a new scam going around here in Waco.

I'm telling you this so you can be on alert. The scam is that someone comes to your door holding a clipboard and looks semi-professional. They tell you that you have a delivery and have to sign for it. If something like this comes your way, DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR. CALL 911.

These people will try to rob you or even worse, try to harm you to get what they want.

PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS AND CO-WORKERS. IT COULD SAVE THEIR LIVES.

THIS IS TERRIBLE, YOU CAN'T TRUST EVERYONE LIKE THE GOOD OL' DAYS.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

I answer the door with a gun, every time. They had better come up with something to sell me REAL quick once they see that...
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

M2
    Was putting a new auxiliary light on the Jeep yesterday, and noticed a man standing in front of the house across the street for several minutes. He then moved to the next house over, so I went over to see what was going on (I had my XD45 concealed on me). Turned out he was collecting data for the 2010 US Census. He had a badge but it didn't have a picture, so I asked to see another ID so I could confirm. He gladly complied. We talked for a few minutes and I apologized for delaying him, but explained we get solicitors and our neighborhood has had a few burglaries so I was just watching out for our neighbors. He understood, and said it wasn't a problem as he was trained to expect people to inquire as to what he was doing. As he was only collecting information on homes, and not their inhabitants, he didn't really need to talk with people.

Just a head's up that you may see people doing the same in your area. It started this month (April) and will continue for the next year. The Census Bureau will be hiring 140,000 people to collect the data, many from the areas where they will be working. For more information, you can check out their web site at: Census Bureau Home Page.

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    I answer the door with a gun, every time. They had better come up with something to sell me REAL quick once they see that...
    +1 USP strapped to my side all the time... and it tends to unnerve any door to door....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    I don’t usually carry while I’m on my Mac or pulling weeds, although I have considered an in-wall gun locker near the front door. I had one installed elsewhere in the home a few years ago and it’s pretty nice when I'm away on extended travel, or when I have guests visiting with children. Of course, it's not a fast-draw device but it's very secure and yet readily available.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    While I agree that we should answer our doors with caution, if at all. But something about this e-mail smells a little hoaxy to me. I know that BGs will try all sorts of things to get you to open the door. But an e-mail telling people to dial 911 anytime they see someone with a clipboard at their door is a bit extreme to me. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is coming out just as our national census is getting under way.

I did check snopes and found nothing about this. That could mean it's real or it could mean that it's too new for them to have researched it. I'll let you make your own decision about answering your door. Use caution and use common sense.

My neighbors in back got caught in a similar scam. Two men came to their house and told her they needed to check her phone lines in the back yard and could she show them where the connection was on the back of the house. She went with one of the men and while she was gone the other man went into the house and and stole 1500.00 dollars she had just got from the bank.

These things are usually false in the information they convey ("the NYPD says this is true!") but maintaining caution when answering the door is never a scam. It's always good advice whenever anyone comes to the door to be careful about opening it.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

I carry everywhere even in the house.Downside is on monday I'm flying to canada for 8 to 10 weeks and will be totally weaponless
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Don't come to my door with out flashing lights on your car, or a well painted sign on your car/truck. You may be knocking, but I come out the side and welcome you with my 125# Rhodesian. I ask the questions and he keeps your focus...works every time.
    My firearm is readily available at a moment's notice. Most salesmen don't stay around for long.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't come to my door with out flashing lights on your car, or a well painted sign on your car/truck. You may be knocking, but I come out the side and welcome you with my 125# Rhodesian. I ask the questions and he keeps your focus...works every time.
    My firearm is readily available at a moment's notice. Most salesmen don't stay around for long.
    I hope you don't misunderstand me, and I know you have your firearms ready, but from reading your posts I seem to glean the feeling that you put a little too much faith in your dog. Remember, the biggest hulk of lion-hunting muscle can still sucumb to a well-placed shot. I hope you are not assuming that the BG will soil himself at sight of your dog. A K-9 is a great partner to have in a fight, you just have to know its limitations (as I'm sure you do).

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    I hope you don't misunderstand me, and I know you have your firearms ready, but from reading your posts I seem to glean the feeling that you put a little too much faith in your dog. Remember, the biggest hulk of lion-hunting muscle can still sucumb to a well-placed shot. I hope you are not assuming that the BG will soil himself at sight of your dog. A K-9 is a great partner to have in a fight, you just have to know its limitations (as I'm sure you do).
    I understand what you are saying...
    My RR is only a distraction...I don't expect the BG to soil himself, just use a few seconds to look at what's approaching. I'm older and slower, a few more seconds helps.
    Besides, I'm speaking of unwanted visitors in our sub who may just be 'interviewing' not necessarily ready for action. I do understand the RR's limitaitons...better to have him than not.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    And the Rhodesian Ridgeback is a spooky dog to start with. I had never seen one and was visiting somewhere when this scary dog came to see who I was. I didn't notice his friendly demeanor nearly so much as I noticed all of the hair standing up on his back: I was a bit concerned to say the least, and he had ALL of my attention. Nice dog, if I remember - but I'm a good guy.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I don't put any stock into these types of e-mails, they're usually B.S.
    Like someone lse said, just in time for the census.
    Not only is the dog a good distraction but he's an even better deterrent, any dog, because of the possible noise is enough to make a BG pick an easier house, a big one is even better because they have to consider a fight with the thing. I know a couple of Rhodesians from the Dog Park, I wouldn't want to be on their bad side either.
    One dog that surprised me is the Blood Hound,those things are massive. I'd always thought they'd be small, like Bassetts.

I always answer my door with a gun in one hand & a cell phone in the other hand. Unless they have have some positive photo ID I don't open my door. If I have any doubt, I call the local police. As simple as that!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links