Robbery suspects posed as police

This is a discussion on Robbery suspects posed as police within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you do? Third home invasion this week Robbery suspects posed as police "He put a gun in my mouth." Updated: Thursday, 30 Apr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbery suspects posed as police

What would you do?

Third home invasion this week

Robbery suspects posed
    as police
    "He put a gun in my mouth."

Updated: Thursday, 30 Apr 2009, 2:51 PM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 30 Apr 2009, 8:17 AM EDT

NORFOLK, Va. - Norfolk police are investigating another violent home invasion. It's the third this week.

The latest one happened around 11 p.m. Wednesday, on Meadow Lake Drive off Military Highway.

Officials say four suspects posed as police officers before they busted into the house. Once inside, police say they stuck a gun in the homeowner's mouth and robbed her.

That victim told WAVY.com, "They were hollering the police, the police. They kicked the door and they kicked the door again and the door panels came through." She went on to say, "When they came in, they grabbed me and they pushed me into the back bedroom. Then they told my father go and face the wall and they told me to get down on the floor on my knees."

The victim, who does not want to be identified, says her brother was in the living room facing three of the four intruders.

"They asked him where was the drugs and the money and he said there was no drugs and no money."

When the suspects didn't find anything, the victim says one of the men put a gun in her mouth.

He let her live, then stole her vehicle and left.

"I'm just glad we were blessed and none of us was seriously hurt."

The recent crimes have some neighbors on edge. "I think everyone should keep their doors locked and don't answer their doors," said Janice Bieber.

Police tell WAVY.com there is no apparent connection between Wednesday night's crime and the two other home invasions this week.

Police made an arrest in one of the other Norfolk home invasions. Brian Jordan is charged in connection with Monday's crime on Cape View Avenue. Police say he severely beat an elderly woman before he robbed her. Investigators tell WAVY.com Jordan is also a person of interest in a home invasion Tuesday during which an elderly couple was also severely beaten.

This doesn't happen for real, it's just internet rumor...

- : )
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post

Updated: Thursday, 30 Apr 2009, 2:51 PM EDT
    Officials say four suspects posed as police officers before they busted into the house. Once inside, police say they stuck a gun in the homeowner's mouth and robbed her.

That victim told WAVY.com, "They were hollering the police, the police. They kicked the door and they kicked the door again and the door panels came through." She went on to say, "When they came in, they grabbed me and they pushed me into the back bedroom. Then they told my father go and face the wall and they told me to get down on the floor on my knees.

The recent crimes have some neighbors on edge.
    Some neighbors are on edge? That is either the understatement of the year, or the rest of the neighbors are idiots, or they have claymores placed outside their doors for such an occasion.

This is just a nightmare defensively. Someone busting in your door, yelling, "Police!" What do you do?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Some neighbors are on edge? That is either the understatement of the year, or the rest of the neighbors are idiots, or they have claymores placed outside their doors for such an occasion.

This is just a nightmare defensively. Someone busting in your door, yelling, "Police!" What do you do?
    Unless I see badges and LOTS of flashy blue and red lights outside...lots o lead is headed that way. Risk, yes, but what's the alternative? It's a potentially lose-lose situation.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Someone with a firearm should have started shooting when the first kick hit the door.

I've said this before, if you're kicking in my front door, there better be flashing light out in the road and cars surrounding the lawn. No lights? No entry!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Someone with a firearm should have started shooting when the first kick hit the door.

I've said this before, if you're kicking in my front door, there better be flashing light out in the road and cars surrounding the lawn. No lights? No entry!

I concur 100%. There's no reason for the Police to kick my door in, they can ring the bell.My door gets kicked , I'm putting the first few shots through the door, unless I see lights and police cars.

"Someone with a firearm should have started shooting when the first kick hit the door".

Someone did that a while ago, and is facing a murder charge. Tidewater Virginia is not a good place to live.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    "Someone with a firearm should have started shooting when the first kick hit the door".

Someone did that a while ago, and is facing a murder charge. Tidewater Virginia is not a good place to live.
    Knowing my lifestyle, my neighborhood, my reputation...I'll take that chance.

Tried by 12 or carried by 6.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is a really tough situation.

I have no reason to believe the local constabulary will be kicking my door in as I lead a lifestyle that is not of interest to them.

I go to work, do my job and take home my paycheck. I do not associate with criminals on my own time. Nobody in my houshold uses or sells illegal narcotics, nor knowingly engages in illegal behavior to my knowledge. Therefore I have no reason to believe the Police will be having a "Door Party" at my exspense.

The reason I associate with criminals during my working hours is, I'm a federal LEO. Very few of the local Police know this, as I do not live in a newer subdivision where every other neighbor is a cop or a fire fighter, just a nice middle class neighborhood and I have very few local LEO friends. I would have no knowledge of an impending raid or warrant serving on my property, nor do I reasonably expect any such event to be occuring.

If you kick in my door I will take what steps are necessary to protect me and mine. God I pray that nobody messes up and mistakes my home for a drug house or the residence of a wanted felon.

Biker

These type of robberies DO happen as we know all too well. I will add this one comment and drop the issue.

Some of you may recall one of my prior postings in this forum. I'll keep it short & to the point. Where I used to work I was the victim of four armed robberies. Two of these robberies involved the BG jumping over the front desk and holding a loaded handgun to my head. I actually felt the hammer go back as the BG threatened my life. I wish this on NO ONE whatsoever.

Now when I answer my door I have my G26 in one hand & my cell phone in the other hand. Been there, done it! I refuse to be a victim of handgun violence EVER again.

I hope that NONE OF YOU go through the terrible experiences I experienced. It was a terrible experience that I don't wish on my worst enemy.

Enough said on my part!!!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I go to work, do my job and take home my paycheck. (Extremist!) I do not associate with criminals on my own time. (Weirdo!) Nobody in my houshold uses or sells illegal narcotics, nor knowingly engages in illegal behavior to my knowledge. (Remember the small town mayor whose dogs were killed because some drug dealer..er, unregistered pharmacist FedEx'd drugs to their door?) Therefore I have no reason to believe the Police will be having a "Door Party" at my exspense.

If you kick in my door I will take what steps are necessary to protect me and mine. God I pray that nobody messes up and mistakes my home for a drug house or the residence of a wanted felon.

Biker
    Biker, I am mostly playing with you. I'm as dull and uninteresting to LEOs as you are. I do fear some tragic mistake which puts the raiding party knocking down my door. I think it is statistically unlikely, but as many have said before, so is the chance that those of us engaged in un-LE-type work will ever have to use our weapon.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Smile and wave...smile and wave. haha...no seriously, no badge=3 to center mass. Thats a tough spot but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I concur 100%. There's no reason for the Police to kick my door in, they can ring the bell.
    Yes it does sometimes happen real life with real police. I once defended a no-knock search case for heroin, where the LEO's busted in the door with a sledge hammer. The problem was that the warrant described the wrong apartment. Fortunately, the premises were secured before anyone was killed. This case was appealed and had to be re-tried. On re-trial the plaintiffs won only $1,000.
    See Duncan v. Barnes, U.S. Ct. App. 5th Cir.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    This type of scenario scares me. In my current frame of mind, I would hesitate if they announced they are police. I don't think I would have time to verify if they came in marked cars with lights flashing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links