Considerations for buying / building a house

This is a discussion on Considerations for buying / building a house within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading a recent post about a scenario where a BG could enter the house, there seemed to be a distinction in the replies for ...

Thread: Considerations for buying / building a house

After reading a recent post about a scenario where a BG could enter the house, there seemed to be a distinction in the replies for those with and without kids. For those with kids, I am just curious if you made a conscious decision to purchase a house based on the ability to have all the bedrooms in one area vs. a split floor plan. When my wife and I were looking to buy a house we wanted a split floor plan so the kids would be on the other side of the house and I was totally on board with that thinking.

We ended up buying a house where all the bedrooms are off the same hall and if someone tries to get in the house from the front, garage, backdoor, I can get a clear shot as they walk down a long hall way. Defensively I think this makes more sense, but curious what others think.
    NRA Life Member

When I was growing up all of our bedrooms were on the second floor along with all of the guns. Similar design, someone breaks in they have to climb a set of stairs before they can get to our sleeping area. This wasn't by design it was mostly by accident and seeing as my step dad never took good care of his guns, it would have been me at the top of the steps. So you break into the house and climb the stairs to find a 13 year old boy with a single barrel 12 gauge (all I had next to a BB gun). Still when I buy my house or build it I plan on having all of the sleeping spaces on the second floor, both high ground and a pinch point.

Honestly I was more concerned with the location (yard, schools, privacy) than I was if all the bedrooms are in the same location, which they aren't. My house has two bedrooms on each side with three entrances in between.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

i would only be concerned with three thing when I buy a house, location, location, location.
    Everything else is secondary. You'll learn to walk that house in the dark and know the areas for cover and the best views of entrances.

Oh yeah, get a dog.

Stay armed...know your home's safer places...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    My wife insisted that the bedrooms all be together on one side of the house. She just wanted be able to know when the teen aged kiddo was home, when he was out, what he was up to, and that there were no "guests."

I think a split style is more comfortable for everyone but not necessarily the best arrangement when you have small kids who get sick, fight, do stuff they shouldn't when they think your attention isn't on them. And as I wrote above, a split isn't the best arrangement with a teen in the house.

Of course, now that kiddo is married and long gone from home, a split would be a much better arrangement when they do come to visit.

I build houses, most people prefer the "Mother in Law" or split level plan so that's what I build. My personal house has all the bedrooms on one side of the house. I didn't want a BG to get between me and my kids. The only reason I would have a "Mother in Law" or split plan is if my Mother in Law actually live on the other side of the house or down stairs. This is the plan I'm building for my self soon. As you can see the there's a bedroom and a nursery next to the Master Bed and then two additional rooms on the other side of the house for when the kids get older. This might be an option for you.

chp-32990
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

VIP Member

Nice design

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I build houses, most people prefer the "Mother in Law" or split level plan so that's what I build. My personal house has all the bedrooms on one side of the house. I didn't want a BG to get between me and my kids. The only reason I would have a "Mother in Law" or split plan is if my Mother in Law actually live on the other side of the house or down stairs. This is the plan I'm building for my self soon. As you can see the there's a bedroom and a nursery next to the Master Bed and then two additional rooms on the other side of the house for when the kids get older. This might be an option for you.

chp-32990
    That's a nice design. You get it right for both situations.

Just slightly off topic, we have an alarm on the house. One of the options (which does have an annoying side) is an electronic announcement when any entry is opened. Doors, windows, etc. 24/7. It's kinda nice to know which door is opening and that it closes in the appropriate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Just slightly off topic, we have an alarm on the house. One of the options (which does have an annoying side) is an electronic announcement when any entry is opened. Doors, windows, etc. 24/7. It's kinda nice to know which door is opening and that it closes in the appropriate time.
    What alarm company do you use?

Ours announces on every window and door also. We have ADT.. It's enough to wake me and it sounds even when the alarm is not activated.

My daughter's room is above us. We are on the main floor.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sponsored Links