Had a good scare/firedrill last night

This is a discussion on Had a good scare/firedrill last night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was sitting in my living room last night watching some tube. I didn't plan on anyone visiting and was just relaxing on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a good scare/firedrill last night

Had a good scare/firedrill last night

So I was sitting in my living room last night watching some tube. I didn't plan on anyone visiting and was just relaxing on my couch when I heard a knock on my front door. I have a roommate, but he of course has his own set of keys so he was excluded from people I was thinking it could be. Also, my roommate told me he was going to stay with his folks that night---you know, get some home cooked food and all. It was a little after 10pm and I know that any relative or friend would have called to let me know they were coming over. There was a second knock. I knew it would not be smart of me to just open the door--so I didn't. Between the first and second knock I made my way back to my room to retrieve my glock 26 and put a round in the chamber. At this point I am hovering in the hallway that leads to the bedrooms and I have a line of sight to the front door. At this point I'm ready to rock n' roll with a little bit of adrenaline going through me. There is a third knock a second later. I know only a few things can happen; the person goes away since I won't open the door or that person or persons breaks down the front door. I felt I had a pretty good advantage at point since all the windows are covered and you can't see in. Also, they don't know a pistol and a spare mag are waiting for them. At that point my phone rings and its my roommate. Turns out that he got a flat going to his parents and left his car with them---and his keys, borrowed their ride, and decided to head back to the bachelor pad. Sorry to be so long-winded,but it turned out well with no one shot. ---I did put the pistol away before I opened the door at that point since I knew who it was and my roommate probably would have freaked because he is not a fan of guns. Anyways, just wanted wanted to share. I thought I handled the potential situation fairly well. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could have handled it differently, I would certainly like to hear feedback.
    ‘‘A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.’’ ---James Madison, The Federalist Papers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Keep a round chambered. Other than that, seems you did fine. Others may suggest carrying all the while you're at home, and I can see their point. But I'm not there yet, myself. Good decision-making: usually folks just jump up and open the door.

Welcome to the group, by they way!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I think you did pretty good by refusing to answer the door late at night. Like you said, if it was friends or family, they would have called... which your roommate eventually did.

But yes, I'd carry all the time with a round chambered. What would you have done if there had been no knock, but rather the door was kicked in on the first try? Would you have had time to go get your weapon?

Seriously, home invasions happen just like that. With the way your house/apartment is laid out, would you have been able to get to your weapon before any home invaders were on you or had a clean shot at you?

But yes, I'd carry all the time with a round chambered. What would you have done if there had been no knock, but rather the door was kicked in on the first try? Would you have had time to go get your weapon?

Seriously, home invasions happen just like that. With the way your house/apartment is laid out, would you have been able to get to your weapon before any home invaders were on you or had a clean shot at you?
    No, I suppose not. Something to think about I guess. At best, if my door was kicked in I would be running for my room and turning around to fire after grabbing the gun, which would probably be too close of a call for a good outcome. Point taken.
    ‘‘A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.’’ ---James Madison, The Federalist Papers

+1 grady!

If my gun is not on my person when at home, it is within arms reach. Same goes for my wife.

When home alone watching TV there are at least two pistols between us at arms length.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hey southpaw, I forgot to welcome you. Welcome!

Does your roomie even know you have a gun? Not that it matters, just wondering.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm with Grady, if my gun isn't on my hip, it is within reach or either me or hubby, until it goes to sleep, on the nightstand.
    I often do some of my work in the evenings and stay prepared for anything, anytime.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

i'll have to go with if nothing else keep a round chambered always. try to keep it w/in arms reach. i don't always carry around the house but if i'm in the living room there's one in the drawer right there takes me as much time to get it as it would for the bg to realize i'm there..by that time he's toast. if i'm @ the comp its right there. you said you're roomate isn't a fan of guns so your best bet might be to keep on your persons while @ home instead of having a hide away gun.

just food for thought. Stuff like this while harmless always gets the mind pondering which is always a good thing

Administrator
    I would have simply asked who was there and avoided the entire "Situation". Worst case, the BG would have known someone was home and most likely moved on... or your friend would have said "its me, let me in".
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would have opened the door (after roomie had called) WITH the gun in my hand, just so roomie would know the potential danger involved with late night door-knocking. Before or after he freaks, I'd also have him read the post about the Georgia college-age apartment party that was invaded by two thugs. One of the residents shot it out and saved one of the women from a rape. Then simply pronounce, "End of argument."

I'm with Sixto. I'd give a shout out. I'd also have my gun on me though. Perhaps in your situation I'd retrieve my gun then give a shout out.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would have simply asked who was there and avoided the entire "Situation". Worst case, the BG would have known someone was home and most likely moved on... or your friend would have said "its me, let me in".
    +1

You should have asked who was there and you should always have the gun close. If you are going to carry always have one in the chamber. It only takes a second to rack the slide but you may not have the time or a free hand when the SHTF.

peep holes are nice...I also keep my firearm within reach, especially at night. Usually I don't wear it on me (just wearing running shorts and don't want to mess with a smart carry), but it's always either sitting on my end-table or on the floor beside the couch.

Only problem I have is if I get up and go to the kitchen, but I guess I just take a chance for those few seconds.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I'm with Rivers on this one. Better let that Roomie know that what to expect if he ever comes in when not expected to be there etc. Once almost shot my husband because he left home early from work one night (he worked second shift that week) and he had left his keys at home. He came in through the sliding glass windows at the back of the house (a whole nother thread to talk about sometime) and he was met in the hallway as he turned the corner with the gun pointed in toward his chest. Needless to say, from then on he called if he was going to be earlier than expected.

Also, i'm with everyone else about having one in the chamber. With increase in Pulse in a situation, you might not remember to chamber it or have trouble doing so. Not good!

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Under those circumstances, at least one gun should be in your control, and loaded. Any gun not in your control should be secured. I'm not inclined to trust anyone the roomy invites over for a beer or whatever.

I'd be sure to let the roomy know I carried even at home. It'd keep him from trying to sneak in without waking me up (and that's not going to happen).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links