Shoot in the back????

Shoot in the back????

This is a discussion on Shoot in the back???? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the scenario... You're in your house, BG enters, you get stabbed or shot in the process and fall to the ground. On the way ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Shoot in the back????

Here's the scenario... You're in your house, BG enters, you get stabbed or shot in the process and fall to the ground. On the way down you gain access to your gun. He turns at the same time you raise it to shoot. He's leaving, but you're already bleeding and possibly dying.

Do you shoot???

Let's subtract the options that you have any family in the house to protect. Maybe you're on the street. He's definitely leaving and doesn't appear to return.

Do you shoot???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Moderator
    The punk STABBED me in my house.

Time for him to die.

I'm down bleeding and possibly going to die and the SOB is walking away........................ YA I'm gonna shoot, and keep the SOB from doing it to someone else down the road.
    And if I only wound him and I die, hopefully he'll get the death penalty.
    But if I live and he dies, It must have been the blood loss that I couldn't see he was going away from me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    If a BG is simply making a getaway - and no physical harm done then I would not shoot in the back. But would more than likely have the guy in my sights for sure.

If harm already done then sorry - all bets are off. That will I suspect be the least of my problems as I lie bleeding. It might be called retribution but I would say it is my way of avoiding the ''coups de grace'' which said BG might well decide to deliver, as he turns around after a few steps - thinking he'd better ''finish the job''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    If I'm already bleeding and he's walking away, my answer is simple.

BANG - Thump
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I'd say the trick is to not be the first to get wounded.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In MY house,if I wasn't wounded,I would shoot him(them) In the back. Let all remember,he's in your house,he fires several shots at you or attempts to knife you,he misses,just as you start to return fire,he sez to himself(in his infinate wisdom),"if I turn my back,he surely wont shoot me in the back". YEAH,RIGHT !!! To me this is different than out in public. If the BG took a couple of shots at me and started running down the street away from me,no way am I gonna send a couple his way. But in the confined spaces of MY own home that he has already invaded.Back,front,sideways,he's dead(not wounded). My home is my castle. I have a sign in my garage entrance to my home that sez,"if your found here at night,etc.,etc. That is as true as it gets. Nobody gets out of my home alive. ------

Administrator

Angry

I'm already stabbed...I would have no way of knowing if he's just "going out" to grab a tire iron in order to come back in & finish off "lil ol' me" & the rest of my family.
    If I'm stabbed by this guy...I'm taking him to Hell with me.

Shoot until he STOPS. That's a "THUMP".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    In MY house,if I wasn't wounded,I would shoot him(them) In the back. Let all remember,he's in your house,he fires several shots at you or attempts to knife you,he misses,just as you start to return fire,he sez to himself(in his infinate wisdom),"if I turn my back,he surely wont shoot me in the back". YEAH,RIGHT !!! To me this is different than out in public. If the BG took a couple of shots at me and started running down the street away from me,no way am I gonna send a couple his way. But in the confined spaces of MY own home that he has already invaded.Back,front,sideways,he's dead(not wounded). My home is my castle. I have a sign in my garage entrance to my home that sez,"if your found here at night,etc.,etc. That is as true as it gets. Nobody gets out of my home alive. ------
    In Florida we already had a Jury case about 10-11 years ago. No injury to the GG but he emptied a Hi cap mag on the BG. 5 shots landed on the front and the rest were on one side and his back. Miami-Dade prosecutors took him three times to court: First two ended in a deadlock, the third one the GG was acquited.

I think in part, people got tired of the prosecution. This was a small business owner in the Little Havana area who was robbed several times and ended up sleeping in the shop trying to keep his meager stock safe. What should have been an open and shut case for the prosecution, didn't and I think it was that some people in the jury could not see anything wrong with a man defending his hard-earned possesions against a junkie breaking in to feed his habit. And I also think the acquittal came because people got fed up with the DA trying to railroad the little guy. After that incident, the DA's office seemed to be very skittish about prosecuting cases against law abading citizens who defend themselves inside their homes.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    In this scenario, the person may be sticking around to ransack my house and may still be there to attack my husband when he comes home. That I won't allow.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    In Florida we already had a Jury case about 10-11 years ago. No injury to the GG but he emptied a Hi cap mag on the BG. 5 shots landed on the front and the rest were on one side and his back. Miami-Dade prosecutors took him three times to court: First two ended in a deadlock, the third one the GG was acquited.

I think in part, people got tired of the prosecution. This was a small business owner in the Little Havana area who was robbed several times and ended up sleeping in the shop trying to keep his meager stock safe. What should have been an open and shut case for the prosecution, didn't and I think it was that some people in the jury could not see anything wrong with a man defending his hard-earned possesions against a junkie breaking in to feed his habit. And I also think the acquittal came because people got fed up with the DA trying to railroad the little guy. After that incident, the DA's office seemed to be very skittish about prosecuting cases against law abading citizens who defend themselves inside their homes.
    And now, with the Castle Doctrine in effect, they cannot prosecute you for shooting an intruder in your home.

There is a presumption of reasonable fear if you engage an intruder in your own home, and it does not matter what aspect of the body you shoot them in.

Matt

Heck yes I would.

I fall on the side of "removing the threat." The BG has already demonstrated lethal intent, regardless of which way he is facing.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    And picking up the paper this AM,the headlines was(this boiled down) MAN SHOOTS,KILLS HOME INTRUDER. Dog barking,man goes to investegate,BG breaking through front door,owner(GG) yelled get outta my house,BG keeps comin',GG fires a .22 rifle at the intruder "more than four times",BG dies of "lead poisening".(ya gotta love it) Turns out that the BG had already tried to break into at least three other homes in the area.Also turns out the BG has at least 14 other criminal arrests including 7 felonies including,aggravated battery with a deadly weapon,burglary,and grand theft auto. This incident happened yesterday and already they are saying that the home owner(GG) will not be charged. I love Flah-Da. Paying for the BG to live in a cushy jail is a waste of the taxpayers (my) money. We should pass a law that sez the county has to pay the homeowner for saving them money. Rehabilitation ?? Yeah,right !! --------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links