Defensive scenarios is what troubles me ...

This is a discussion on Defensive scenarios is what troubles me ... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm relatively new to this site, and have truly enjoyed reading comments/questions/responses in all of the various forums here. However ... The thing that troubles ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm relatively new to this site, and have truly enjoyed reading comments/questions/responses in all of the various forums here.

However ...

The thing that troubles me is this: let's suppose that I'm involved in a self-defense situation in which I have had to use my firearm and a BG is seriously injured or dead. In much of the reading I have done surrounding CC, legal issues will likely follow regardless of whether my actions were justified or not. The police and lawyers will intensively scrutinize everything I have ever done --- including my posts to this forum, and any prior thought or response I may have given to various "scenarios" posed here. IOW ... anything said here could come back to haunt me.

Have any of you ever thought about this? To what extent does it moderate your comments, if at all?

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Just and proper action guides me, including what I write and post. For me, that's enough. I don't do crime, nor plan to do crime.

Yes, dishonorable folk abound, even in the legal and law enforcement professions. No surprises, there.

There will frequently be some who seek to twist one's prior statements or indications of thought process to suggest premeditation or some other crock.

Reality is, what most do, here, is to explore various alternative actions in various situations, along with the pros/cons of doing that. Discussing such things doesn't have much bearing on actions in the distant future, IMO, other than to give a glimpse into thinking in the distant past. But then, I won't be your investigating officer, your D.A. or on your jury, so what do I know?

That said, life is what it is: a crap shoot. You rolls the dice and takes your chances. If you don't want something to be posted in the Sunday newspaper for all to read, don't post it. If you fear legal ramifications for something you would write, then don't write it. But, as you suggest, any and all statements posted here (and elsewhere) will likely be found in a criminal investigation and used against you if it has substance. No surprises there, as well.

For myself, I'm no criminal. My actions are honorable and upstanding. I trust that my knowledge of my state's laws and my actions in a rough situation will be right and proper, justifiable and articulable. If they're not in the least, then I get what I get. So be it. Personally, I don't think what participation I have in discussions, here, will have much bearing in that.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; May 10th, 2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: spellin'
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well, based on the scenario you mentioned, indicates you’re lucky to be in the position to actually worry about it. I would imagine the litigation process is a far better place to be vs. the alternative.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Stay alert to the world around you. Learn (here) form the experiences of others.
    Do I worry about what could happen, not really; I'll worry about that when it happens...but I will know what to say and not to say.

If I'm involved in a road rage incident, or an argument in a parking lot where someone is hurt, I might have problems...that's why I apologize, and walk away...I want no trouble. I'll give up a parking space, cross the street, turn and go back into the store, or run a red light...whatever I have to do to avoid 'shady situations'.

If...my wife and I (a couple in their 60's) are potential victims of two young dirtbags in black hoodies who end up getting what they deserve (w/weapons on their persons)...here in FL I'm not worried about it.

Don't stay up at night and worry about the 'what if's'. If you want to secure a safer future, take a SD pistol course and practice what you would do...mentally work it out...I do the same in our home.
    The rest is up to Muphy's Law...life isn't fair, I have decided to take part in the defense of myself and my family. I'll take my chances.

I'm not worried about what DA will say when he asks me if I really support what Ted Nugent often says, "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." It's my chain of thought, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    All anyone has on the net is his reputation and the reputation of his net identity. I don't think anyone who keeps that in mind is going to have any trouble with what he says, unless he's a darn fool with teen age judgment.

I know that one's words can be used against them. However, the reason I was willing to be a member of this site is because I am interested in doing everything in the power God's given me to protect my family and I want to do it in a means that is just and law abiding. Because laws can be confusing and open for much interpretation, I find it helpful to get others' perspective on things that can and do happen.

VIP Member
    I'm not really worried about what I say here. I have always maintained I will only use my weapon to protect myself or loved ones as a last resort when and if I am in fear of life or grave bodily harm. I also have made it clear that I do not "shoot to kill" I "shoot to stop the threat". None of those assertions are likely to come back to haunt me, they do not paint me as a blood thirsty vigilante, but only a person who is willing to take responsibility for my own safety.

Being a member of a forum like this can also go the other way. It can be shown that you have become a member so that you can be as safe as possible while carry a weapon.

I would like to think that since you are on here you're obviously wanting to learn more and that puts you above alot of other people who think that just because they have a permit they are now all of a sudden, "safe".
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm not really worried about what I say here. I have always maintained I will only use my weapon to protect myself or loved ones as a last resort when and if I am in fear of life or grave bodily harm. I also have made it clear that I do not "shoot to kill" I "shoot to stop the threat". None of those assertions are likely to come back to haunt me, they do not paint me as a blood thirsty vigilante, but only a person who is willing to take responsibility for my own safety.
    Very well said.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

I can't imagine the police going through your internet forum accounts over an SD shooting . I could be wrong...but I just don't see it.

99 said this...

[QUOTE][here in FL I'm not worried about it./QUOTE]

+1

We all have fun here, even give of ourselves with advice, or an opinion, what you have imparted is an opinion, that would be somewhat an idea of how you might "Believe" you would act in a given situation, how you would act in reality? Could be an other matter all together.

In the altercations I have been in, in my life, makes me a firm believer in this next pearl of wisdom, this is from me, based on incidents I have encountered.

If you have to think, it is too late. Thought takes to long.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I can't imagine the police going through your internet forum accounts over an SD shooting . I could be wrong...but I just don't see it.
    If the situation evolved such that lawyers ultimately got involved, I have no doubt that anything *I* have ever said about use of a firearm, in this forum or elsewhere, would appear in court as evidence. Whether or not the police would initially search for that kind of thing, is questionable. HOWEVER, as an example, a college buddy of my son recently got into trouble for growing marijuana in his apartment. The police raided the place and took everything ... including his computers. In an attempt to bolster the county prosecutor's case against the kid, the police searched everything on the kid's computer in order to see what he could be charged with in addition to what was initially found as evidence.

I think if you are a law-abiding citizen, and make statements on this forum and elsewhere that are within the context of the law, then you have nothing to worry about. Yet, I do carefully weigh everything I post here and elsewhere to make sure that my comments are indeed within the context of the law as I understand it.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

One of the nice things about this forum is that it teaches many ways to avoid using our guns. No one wants a gun fight, it is always the last resort and only when one is in fear for their life or to save the life of another.

If you're on here saying things that would get you in trouble or if you have an itchy trigger finger, you're going to get in trouble. I have yet to see anyone on DC who seems to be asking for a confrontation. We carry because we have not only the legal right to, but we also have the responibility to ourselves, our families, and those around us. In a perfect world, no one would need to carry and I certainly wouldn't, but this world ain't perfect. I carry because I want to be around to see my son grow up. I carry because I love my life and I want to continue it, not because I want to be involved in a confrontation. It's like having a spare tire on your car, it's better to have it and not need it thatn need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links