Lights on your weapons ???

This is a discussion on Lights on your weapons ??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok folks I guess I need some education as far as putting lights on your weapons. If you use the light, won't that give your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights on your weapons ???

Lights on your weapons ???

Ok folks

I guess I need some education as far as putting lights on your weapons.

If you use the light, won't that give your position away. My father had taught me let the bad guy come to you and dont go to him. This way the element of surprise is in your favor.

He mention just sit in a dark room gun ready and let the bad guy enter and just blast him.

When he was in WWII and on guard duty in Africa, he never walked back and forth. He hid in the shadows and when someone came near his post, the only sound they heard was his safety coming off, "click". It was never "Halt who goes there or what the password"

So inform me the need to have lights
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post

So inform me the need to have lights

Target identification.

A good light is an important tool...some like them attached to the weapon, some like them separate.
    I prefer having the light separate.

If you ever have an opportunity to take a SD pistol course, you need to shoot in dim light situations to discover your own need for a light...it's a unique experience.

In a WalMart parking lot a good light used in the proper manner can temporarily blind an attacker and give you valuabe moments to present your sidearm.

Stay armed...get a SureFire L4 LumaMax...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    If you have ever cleared a house and held a flashlight in one hand and a gun in another it can be a chore at times. Say you need to open a door. Now you have to shift the light to under your arm and hope that you don't drop it while opening the door and keeping a grip on the pistol. Dropping a light on the floor is not good, it could go out and now you are in the dark. Having to use a key to unlock a door while juggling a flashlight and a gun is not easy.

The light on the gun is a better way. Where you point the light, the gun points. Now you have one free hand to open doors,unlock them, check windows, do whatever you need.

Most weapon lights have full on and an intermittent switch. You can either leave the light on or flick it on and off when you think you need it. If you think the light might give away your position, don't use it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If you have ever cleared a house and held a flashlight in one hand and a gun in another it can be a chore at times. Say you need to open a door. Now you have to shift the light to under your arm and hope that you don't drop it while opening the door and keeping a grip on the pistol. Dropping a light on the floor is not good, it could go out and now you are in the dark. Having to use a key to unlock a door while juggling a flashlight and a gun is not easy.

The light on the gun is a better way. Where you point the light, the gun points. Now you have one free hand to open doors,unlock them, check windows, do whatever you need.

Most weapon lights have full on and an intermittent switch. You can either leave the light on or flick it on and off when you think you need it. If you think the light might give away your position, don't use it.

Instead of clearing your house, what if you patiently wait for them to come to your location. This way the BG is on edge and all you have to do is shoot
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Instead of clearing your house, what if you patiently wait for them to come to your location. This way the BG is on edge and all you have to do is shoot
    ...Because he's a "part time" LEO and not clearing his house.

Senior Moderator

You could.It might be the smart thing to do.

Gun lights started out life as tools for cops. Since the po dont have the option of laying around and waiting, its a good tool for them. Its so much easier to use, there is no comparison. For the unknowns, having a free hand is a good thing to have.

edited to add in response to JD's post...
    you are dang straight I am going to clear my house. If some heathen is there that aint suppose to be, things are gonna be ugly.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Some of the newer tac lights have a strobe function and are rated in excess of 200 lumen's in strobe mode, Target ID and confusing a BG are high on the list, and a strobe messes with your eyes real bad when flashed....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    strobe messes with your eyes real bad when flashed....
    Thats the truth. We've been playing with some on patrol. They work very well.

We tried it in the parking lot at the S.O. I ran towards a guy and he flashed his light right in my eyes. I literally could not see any thing but white spots while he went right around me and got behind me. I couldnt have grabbed him if I wanted to. He used the Gladius. Its pricey, but works as advertised.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    +1 on the strobe
    on duty use an Insight HX150r 150 lumen, strobe feature to use the firefly technique in clearing buildings/rooms so the BG can't get your position from the light beam, very effective for this and for making the eyes/brain go wacko for a bit when strobed

Lights have their applications and they are not for every situation, nor should you just turn your light on and leave it on if you use one.
    In your home you should know the layout of walls, doorways, furniture, etc and only use the light for a split second for a quick 'peek' if at all

then as JD said....for target identification...once that suspect is found they get lit up in the face and stay lit up until they are no longer a threat (either shot or until authorities get there)

next is the debate of on weapon or in free hand
    as of right now I don't have one on my duty weapon but may in the future, that way I have a free hand for radio or other use and can keep the suspect lit up
    I do have a tac light on my dedicated HD weapon, my G21 has a streamlight TLR-2, that way if I need to be on the phone or my police radio I can keep 'em lit up if need be

lastly....if anyone decides to get an attached light on a weapon, make sure its going to withstand the recoil, and practice with the weapon and light in both day and low/no light situations

story time: I attached a light to my Mossy 12 ga and went to practice with it one evening, me and the bro both shot it a few times then when sun went down I went to practice with the light and found the light couldn't handle the recoil of the 00 and slugs, fixed the light and the wife got it to keep in her glove box
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats the truth. We've been playing with some on patrol. They work very well.

We tried it in the parking lot at the S.O. I ran towards a guy and he flashed his light right in my eyes. I literally could not see any thing but white spots while he went right around me and got behind me. I couldnt have grabbed him if I wanted to. He used the Gladius. Its pricey, but works as advertised.
    Guess it is best to be behind the light.

All kidding aside, I asked several LEOs at my range over the years and all recommended a light. I finally got one in a gun deal and really like it. It does not have strobe, but I may pick up one of those now. Target acquisition as previously mentioned may be the biggest reason. Mine has a momentary on and a constant on. I don't think the momentary will give me away unless I am standing still. If you have kids elsewhere in the house, you may have to get to them and empty hands may be extremely important.

Administrator
    OK, lets break down to the basics. A WML is not a flashlight, and it is not intended to be used as such. It is intended to be used in a senario like what HotGuns typed about.
    For the non LEO, they are a great tool for as well... as long as they are used properly. If used proper, your position wont be given away and you wont lose any tactical advantage you may or may not have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I've used a surefire on my rifle a time or two, and it does come in handy, although there are things to consider when using one, and training with one and using proper techinques is right up there at the top.

I know in Iraq we used them a lot because the BG's always knew where we were anyways, and it makes target identification a whole heck of a lot easier than using nvg's.

I still need to get some lights for a couple of my long guns back home. For a civilian carry gun, its not very practical, but for a HD weapon, its another tool to add to your box, and one that is well worth the money.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'm an advocate of carrying a handheld light, even if you have a weapon mounted light.

Why, you ask? It's simple really. The WML (Weapon Mounted Light) should not be used to identify a threat. It should be used once a threat has been identified. For me, I have found that WML's are great on a longarm, but for a handgun, unless you are using the gun in a defensive position, you shouldn't be pointing a gun at an unidentified target.

If I resort to a longarm, I have already identified that there is a threat. If I have a handgun in my hand, there may or may not be a threat present, that's why I'm searching for that "bump in the night". I would much rather do the search in such a way that I don't point a handgun at a non-threat, hence the handheld light.

What if that "bump in the night" was made by a houseguest that got disorientated in your home, or was raiding your fridge for a midnight snack? Do you really want to be pointing a loaded gun at a houseguest? Don't laugh, or say "nothing like that will happen here." I've seen it from both ends of the gun.

When you are "clearing" a house, building, room or what-not, adrenaline is running high and I would hate to see someone shot that wasn't suppossed to be shot. The handheld light allows you to see without pointing a gun at non-targets. That's why I'm a fan of them.

We can sit here and discuss scenarios where the WML will be better, and in some cases they are. Like I said, I like them on my longarms, as one of my longarms comes out when I know there is a threat present, so I am not totally against them. I just think the WML get used too often for their not-intended purpose.

If you are defending a barricaded position, then yes, IMO, WML are appropriate in most circumstances. If you are searching your home, as a homeowner, NO, they are not appropriate.

Just my $0.02.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Im a little differant, I perfer a seperate light for pistol work, but a weapon mounted light on rifles/shotguns. My reason for this is with a pistol I prefer the ability to throw the light one way, and move. The rifle I need both hands to control the weapon, so there is no hand free to deal with a seperate light.
    Ive already learned a thrown flashlight works real well as confusing the heck out of a BG, no matter even if its thrown at them or away from them.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links