Get mugged and lose your wallet /CCW license in it because you weren't carrying

This is a discussion on Get mugged and lose your wallet /CCW license in it because you weren't carrying within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out to dinner Saturday night for my wife's birthday. Since we were going with a group, she asked me if I was going to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get mugged and lose your wallet /CCW license in it because you weren't carrying

Get mugged and lose your wallet /CCW license in it because you weren't carrying

Went out to dinner Saturday night for my wife's birthday. Since we were going with a group, she asked me if I was going to carry. I usually do but I don't drink when I do. I was going to carry that night but relented to leave it at home so we could celebrate together. I did it begruginly though because of the locale. It is not a bad area by reputation but the area attracts all sorts of wayward oddballs and who knows what. I told her I would be REALLY mad at her if we got mugged and someone stole my wallet with my CCW in it BECAUSE I wasn't carrying. How embarrasing would that be? It all ended well but given the crowd around there, I was uneasy the whole time. Felt exposed and at the mercy of the situation.

It sounds kinda funny but I know I am not alone with this conundrum. If you are going out drinking (Responsibly BTW), you cannot carry here in FL as well as in most other states. Florida law lowers the legal limit to the same as a CDL truck driver when you CCW. IMO even one mixed drink will (MAY) put you over the legal limit so I will leave it locked up at home if we are going bar hopping. I don't drink often but when I plan an evening out, I leave it home. Its just not worth the risk.

How do YOU handle the tradeoff? Fun night out vs CC
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

I went out with my wife last Friday night, we never go to bars, but we do visit restaurants who serve adult drinks.

We had a nice dinner and a great glass of beer from their micro brewery. Only when the server came back and asked me if I wanted another, I said water only please.

If I’m going to drink a few beers, or mixed drinks, I stay home.

I just played this game this past weekend. A good friend Graduated from RPI Near Albany New York so i could not carry at all. We decided to go out celebrating his accomplishment in the downtown bar district. i did carry my benchmade griptilian and i have had some knife training. not the same as a firearm but when it is the only thing you can carry by all means carry it. I would like more knife training for all the situations when i can not carry like this out of town trip.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    Went out to dinner Saturday night for my wife's birthday. Since we were going with a group, she asked me if I was going to carry. I usually do but I don't drink when I do. I was going to carry that night but relented to leave it at home so we could celebrate together. I did it begruginly though because of the locale. It is not a bad area by reputation but the area attracts all sorts of wayward oddballs and who knows what. I told her I would be REALLY mad at her if we got mugged and someone stole my wallet with my CCW in it BECAUSE I wasn't carrying. How embarrasing would that be? It all ended well but given the crowd around there, I was uneasy the whole time. Felt exposed and at the mercy of the situation.

It sounds kinda funny but I know I am not alone with this conundrum. If you are going out drinking (Responsibly BTW), you cannot carry here in FL as well as in most other states. Florida law lowers the legal limit to the same as a CDL truck driver when you CCW. IMO even one mixed drink will (MAY) put you over the legal limit so I will leave it locked up at home if we are going bar hopping. I don't drink often but when I plan an evening out, I leave it home. Its just not worth the risk.

Please re-read the FL statutes. There is absolutely nothing in the statutes that prohibits lawful concealed carry, no matter how much alcohol you've consumed.

You may not have a loaded gun in hand while intoxicated, but even then, there is an exception allowed for lawful self-defense.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

It is a balancing act. I went to my wife's company picnic yesterday. I chose not to carry because we were playing softball, eating BBQ and of course there was beer. If it had not been for the deputies working security I might have chosen differently. I figured the risk of a incident occuring on the ten minute drive there and back was acceptable.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

There is absolutely nothing in the statutes that prohibits lawful concealed carry, no matter how much alcohol you've consumed.
    I have to agree with you about "Carry" but according to the statutes, if you so much as touch the weapon for defensive reasons, you open up a huge can of worms according to the same statutes which was my original intent.

Florida statues 790.151, 790-153, 790.155, and 790.157 go into great detail about places of nuissance (Bars & sporting events) and the potential pitfalls associated with alcohol consumption and gun use.

I have re-read them and obviously the legal limit issues come into play for impairment. It would not bode well for anyone using a gun in self defense to have ANY level of impairment IMO.

Back to my original intent....That is why I leave it at home and for as infrequently (maybe twice a year?) as we go bar-hopping, it is still not worth the risks. I steer clear of bunghole bars in general but nobody wants to be a classic stick in the mud all of the time either. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy you know
    2A is not negotiable

I have to agree with you about "Carry" but according to the statutes, if you so much as touch the weapon for defensive reasons, you open up a huge can of worms according to the same statutes which was my original intent.

Florida statues 790.151, 790-153, 790.155, and 790.157 go into great detail about places of nuissance (Bars & sporting events) and the potential pitfalls associated with alcohol consumption and gun use.

I have re-read them and obviously the legal limit issues come into play for impairment. It would not bode well for anyone using a gun in self defense to have ANY level of impairment IMO.

Back to my original intent....That is why I leave it at home and for as infrequently (maybe twice a year?) as we go bar-hopping, it is still not worth the risks. I steer clear of bunghole bars in general but nobody wants to be a classic stick in the mud all of the time either. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy you know

If you choose not to carry when you drink, that's your decision.....and I'd never question it. I was simply commenting on your misrepresentation of the FL statutes with respect to concealed carry and self-defense.

Stay safe.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

By policy I can't drink and be armed.

I'm always armed when out and about. If I'm going to drink I do it at home. I've never been much of a drinker, but I do enjoy a glass now and then in the comfort of my home.

I've got too much to lose to mess it up by drinking and being armed. Call me selfish, but that's the way I am. Most of you probably have too much to lose too, so it's something you might want to consider if you drink and carry.

Now I'm not one of those people that believes that a drink or two and having a gun on your person makes you turn in to a raving lunatic. If two drinks makes you a lunatic, you were already a lunatic before you had those two drinks.

If the policy or laws were different, and I could have some alcohol in my system and still carry, I'd probably have a glass with dinner at a restaurant. We eat out a lot and I have to weigh the pros and cons. I generally decide to stay armed, as I've seen enough bad things happen to good people in the nicest of places that I don't think it wise to go about unarmed if it can be avoided.

Biker

I told her I would be REALLY mad at her if we got mugged and someone stole my wallet with my CCW in it BECAUSE I wasn't carrying.
    I carry cash in my front right pocket and Credit cards in front left pocket. I would show the BG credit cards and tell him he doesn't want these and when he asks for the cash if he doesn't have a firearm pointed at me my right hand will go slightly back past my pocket at my 3.00 and show him a diffrent type of plastic. Glock 26. If he has the drop on me. Right hand will reach into my pocket and get the cash and toss to the side. Either he will run, i will run or shoot out at the OK corral.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I don't carry a purse. It's just extra baggage that can make a lady look like even more of a target, a hassle to drag around, that I don't need. I've never understood these ladies that have to cart around 3/4 of their world possesions wherever they go.
    I carry a bi-fold wallet in my right rear pocket, and wear my tops untucked. If Mr. BG wants my wallet, that is concealed to begin with he might end up with something else that's concealed that he'd rather not have.
    As far as drinking & carrying goes, I just don't do it. If I can't go to a bar/restaurant due to MI law and carry I just go elsewhere. The idea fall in the same catagory as businesses with a "No Guns" sign, they don't get my patronage, period.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

jfl

Why would you be mad at her for a decision you made.

As I posted here often, I consider myself OK to carry and have one glass of beer or wine with dinner; however, I don't start drinking before I get food in my stomach.
    The last time I drank too much was 22 years ago ...

And, no, in Florida I am not breaking the law.
    Let's not demonize booze like other demonize guns

Like someone here says: "Always carry, never tell"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Another Floridian here...

Whenever we go out to eat, I may or may not have a beer, just one with dinner.
    I always carry...always.

I never leave the sidearm at home...dirtbags aboud...I'll keep my gun on my person and have the extra brewskis at home.
    Better to have one beer with my side arm and not need it, than to have several beers without my sidearm and need it.

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Since I've started carrying, I just don't drink. I'll have one beer if I want one with my meal, but it stops there. I'd be fine with a couple, but I'd rather not miss if I need to use it!

I carry my CCW and DL in a small id folder (came with the wallet) in my front left pocket along with my small cell phone. Cash goes in the right front pocket and wallet with credit cards, backup cash, etc. in back right pocket. I'm right handed and id and phone are on weak side in case they are needed after the need arises to draw my weapon. Now I can keep my weapon drawn on suspect and reach in to get phone or id. If someone wants my wallet, they get the gun or the wallet, depending on the situation, but my id's are never in it.

Regarding drinking and not CCW, I did it Friday night and my SA was on high alert.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorcbr View Post
    I carry my CCW and DL in a small id folder (came with the wallet) in my front left pocket along with my small cell phone. Cash goes in the right front pocket and wallet with credit cards, backup cash, etc. in back right pocket. I'm right handed and id and phone are on weak side in case they are needed after the need arises to draw my weapon. Now I can keep my weapon drawn on suspect and reach in to get phone or id. If someone wants my wallet, they get the gun or the wallet, depending on the situation, but my id's are never in it.
    I do it pretty much like that.. I keep some cash in the ID fold that is in my left front pocket. I don't always carry a wallet, but cash and cards folded, sometimes in a money clip, in my front right pocket or right rear pocket..
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links