saw this on tv how would everyone react?

This is a discussion on saw this on tv how would everyone react? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PointnClick CCMan sez... Yeah, I got shot on a date several years ago, very similar to the situation posted above... My date's ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: saw this on tv how would everyone react?

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    CCMan sez...

Yeah, I got shot on a date several years ago, very similar to the situation posted above... My date's ex-husband showed up to finalize his divorce. I posted about it before...

Ever been shot...?
    yeah i rember that story :D

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ok you got me. I was lazy about typing so I should have said normal cpr is no good.

Well I guess I could get out my ID and some tape to seal the ID to the wound on three sides. Leaving the bottom side open of course to let the blood out but still creating a seal so he can breath in through his mouth, not through the wound. Then rolling the victim on his side with the good lung up so it doesn't fill with blood giving him a fighting chance. The big problem is not the bleeding outside but the bleeding in the lungs.

Now with all of that combat cpr stuff out of the way I would do nothing.
    youre in a restaraunt, just order someone to go get you a few pieces of either aluminum foil or plastic wrap. thatll work alot better than an id :D

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    Ask the girl for her phone number, and what's she's doing Friday night.
    LMAO. that was good.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo45 View Post
    Probably nothing. If the guy shoots the BF and runs, he's no longer a threat to you. Might be a 'good witness' and follow the guy (at a distance) to see what car he got into, what was on the plates if possible. Probably just stay there and try to help the injured guy as much as possible.
    same here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Call 911 and take cover. Not to hijack a thread,but
    something I will add, that this post brought to mind.If you younger guys get involved with a woman, find out early about her last relationship. Is she still married? Does she still date the ex on the side? Is she playing both sides? I like women,however,there are many who will put a man in a bad situation. I have seen this many times in my life and it can get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo45 View Post
    Probably nothing. If the guy shoots the BF and runs, he's no longer a threat to you. Might be a 'good witness' and follow the guy (at a distance) to see what car he got into, what was on the plates if possible. Probably just stay there and try to help the injured guy as much as possible.
    +1
    If my life (or a family member) is not in imminent danger, I can't even legally take lethal action (at least here in NY). But I agree with Geronimo, to help the injured party as best I can, and be a good witness, if necessary.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I saw this too. It was fast. I thought about what I would have done - take cover, draw my weapon to cover those I was with and others if he came back. It was too fast to react even if you saw him walk in with the gun.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    youre in a restaraunt, just order someone to go get you a few pieces of either aluminum foil or plastic wrap. thatll work alot better than an id :D
    Remember though you are trying to make an impromtu one way valve so the blood can be forced out of the lungs when he exhales. You only want it to seal up when he breathes in, not when he breathes out (expelling the blood in his lungs, not sucking it back in).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I'd continue eating my pasta. Now if he interupted my meal, then......

Seriously, the whole incident probably took 20 seconds and I'm not leagally sworn in to uphold the laws of the state and protect it's citizenry.....just try'in to watch out for my own ass and family.

Call it in or leave out the back..................

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Remember though you are trying to make an impromtu one way valve so the blood can be forced out of the lungs when he exhales. You only want it to seal up when he breathes in, not when he breathes out (expelling the blood in his lungs, not sucking it back in).
    Remeber that the main reason for applying pressure to an open sucking chest wound is to attempt to ensure adequate inspiratory and expiratory air pressure, prevent air embolism and mainly to prevent Pneumothorax. Chest tubes, which are usually applied in the hospital, are the treatment for hemothorax, not flutter valves. The bystanders goal is to monitor ABC's and start CPR once the pt stops compensating and goes down the drain. Application of your hand to the open would will suffice until EMS arrives.

All of you are assuming the person was shot once in the chest wall/lung. Its not hard to get one to the heart at point blank. And if he does, hes a truma code and SOL. CPR for about 10-15 mins while FD/EMS waits for PD to clear the scene. By the time FD/EMS gets on scene, hes dead most likely dead, but no one knows is yet.

"In a 2002 report of resusitative thoracotomies for truma patients in the ED, the 3 surivors of 10 victims of penetrating truama all had signs of life and vitals signs on arrival at the ED. In contrast, all 19patients with blunt trauma died, despite the fact that 14 of the 19 "had vital signs" at the time of the thoracotomy. In a database of 959 resuscitative thoracotomies, 22 victims of penetrating trauma and 4 victims of blunt truama survived to hospital discharge after receiving prehospital CPR (Overall survuval rate of 3%)

In 2001, the Committee on Trauma of the American Colege of Surgeons published a systematic review of 42 studies of ED thorcotomies involving nearly 7000 patients, published from 1966 to 1999. In this database, survival was 11%(500 of 4482) for victims of penetrating trauma and 1.6% (35 of 2193) for victims of blunt trauma."

-American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and ECG 2005

As for the first scenaro, my goal would be to assure the safety of those immediately surrounding me and to find the closest exit(rear emergency exit/kitchen). If I knew he was gone for good, I would go back in and assist in treating the pt(s)I would not follow this guy, hes already showed the intent to commit premeditated murder and has nothing to lose now. If hes decides that he wants to take more out with him and I have a good shot, his day has ended and were working 2 trauma codes.

The exGF already knows who he is, theres now mystery to solve. No need to get a license plate number, etc.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    Remeber that the main reason for applying pressure to an open sucking chest wound is to attempt to ensure adequate inspiratory and expiratory air pressure, prevent air embolism and mainly to prevent Pneumothorax. Chest tubes, which are usually applied in the hospital, are the treatment for hemothorax, not flutter valves. The bystanders goal is to monitor ABC's and start CPR once the pt stops compensating and goes down the drain. Application of your hand to the open would will suffice until EMS arrives.
    Ok that's way over my head. I was just repeating what I was taught during my time in the sand box (the first war). In short, seal him up, good lung up, bad lung down and get him on the helo outa here. You seem to know a bit more about this stuff than me...
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Looks like she's recently unattached... introduce yourself.

It depends on how long my food has been on the table. If it had just arrived, I'm eating...
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links