Defensive Carry banner

saw this on tv how would everyone react?

3K views 40 replies 36 participants last post by  Dal1Celt 
#1 ·
ok i saw this on Americas Most Wanted the other day. Its a true story. It happened back in 2003 here in Houston!

A guy and his girlfriend are eating dinner at a restraunt. Girlfriends Ex-Boyfriend walks in and puts a single round into new boyfriends chest and runs! New boyfriend dies at hospital.

Now say you were in the restruant when this went down. You're 2 tables away and you see everything happen.
What would you do? Engage? Run?

chep

#2 ·
well it depends on how big the guy is before i decide to engage and fight, and it would depend who im sitting with at the table, if im sitting with my wife and kid then i wouldnt do anything cause i wouldnt want to endanger there life and risk them getting shot.

#3 ·
Probably nothing. If the guy shoots the BF and runs, he's no longer a threat to you. Might be a 'good witness' and follow the guy (at a distance) to see what car he got into, what was on the plates if possible. Probably just stay there and try to help the injured guy as much as possible.

#22 ·
But if you are going to administer first aid to a person who has a sucking chest wound (Exactly what it sounds like) you can cover the wound (front and back of torso) with plastic and apply pressure to try and slow or stop the bleeding.

While you're doing that try and remember what the guy looked like that just shot your victim. :dead:

#6 ·
I would call 911... Lay the guy on the floor head elevated (so he doesn't choke if he is bleeding in his lungs). Then apply direct and forceful pressure to all the main arteries I could access. Hopefully slowing down the circulation to the heart just enough to slow it down but not stop it. lol sorry I took a few nursing class. As for the other guy I would probably be praying to hard that he didn't shot me or my child to do much else till he was gone.

#8 ·
Been there, done that...

#18 ·
#10 ·
Someone intent on this type of crime is going to be in, done, and out...before you even realize what has happened...call 911.:ticking:

#13 ·
Good witness........and keep a sharp eye out. No telling if the nutjob might come back in to take a shot at the GF too.

#17 ·
I would try to be a good witness and call 911 The deed is already done and the guy with the gun is running away. I would try to help the victim. If you try to shoot at the shooter while he is running away you will be putting other people in jeopardy and making your self libel if you start a gun fight.

#21 ·
Stuff like that will happen incredibly quickly. By the time you just realized what happened, the guy will already be walking/running out the door. However, now that you're aware of such a situation, you can run through a few scenarios in your head so that in the unlikely case that such a thing ever happens, at least you hopefully won't freeze up and can be a good witness.

If you're feeling especially invincible I suppose you could always follow the dude outside, carefully, to try to get a vehicle description and travel direction. However, I would strongly advise against such an action... but of course, situations are dynamic. Use your best judgment and don't expose yourself to risk needlessly.

#23 ·
CCMan sez...

Been there, done that... ?????????
Yeah, I got shot on a date several years ago, very similar to the situation posted above... My date's ex-husband showed up to finalize his divorce. I posted about it before...

Ever been shot...?

#25 ·
I think that if the shooter still had his gun in his hand (not dropping it at the scene), he would still present a potential and significant threat. If I saw the whole scene develop and had my gun in my grip, I think that the decision of whether to shoot or not would depend on the danger to any others (especially any dining with me) at the scene. If the restaurant was relatively empty, more likely. If very busy, probably not. Since seconds would make all the difference in this scenario, I expect that what any of us predicts they would do could be very different from what each might actually do. Just have to be there...

#26 ·
What would I do?
First make sure my family is under cover and out of harm's way. Tell them to STAY THERE.
Second, make sure the shooter is gone then go to give aid. Keeping a eye out to make sure the guy doesn't come back.
Third, be the best witness I can for Law Enforcement.

Whether armed or not...it would not be my place to go after the guy or involve myself in a fire fight unless the man returned and was a direct threat.

This is my opinion.

#28 ·
ok i saw this on Americas Most Wanted the other day. Its a true story. It happened back in 2003 here in Houston!

A guy and his girlfriend are eating dinner at a restraunt. Girlfriends Ex-Boyfriend walks in and puts a single round into new boyfriends chest and runs! New boyfriend dies at hospital.

Now say you were in the restruant when this went down. Your 2 tables away and you see everything happen. What would you do? Engage?Run?
Ask the girl for her phone number, and what's she's doing Friday night. :322:

#29 ·
McDougal

I should delete that as being off topic to the thread but, I won't....'cause it's funny in a warped sort of way.

Even though you really deserve a :slap: for that comment.

"Ask the girl for her phone number, and what's she's doing Friday night." :322:

:biggrin2:

#30 ·
How would you know it was a crazy ex boyfriend and not another Luby's psycho?...If shooting started i might be forced to draw to defend my family and friends.

#33 ·
Call 911 and take cover. Not to hijack a thread,but
something I will add, that this post brought to mind.If you younger guys get involved with a woman, find out early about her last relationship. Is she still married? Does she still date the ex on the side? Is she playing both sides? I like women,however,there are many who will put a man in a bad situation. I have seen this many times in my life and it can get you killed.

#35 ·
I saw this too. It was fast. I thought about what I would have done - take cover, draw my weapon to cover those I was with and others if he came back. It was too fast to react even if you saw him walk in with the gun.

#37 ·
I'd continue eating my pasta. Now if he interupted my meal, then......

Seriously, the whole incident probably took 20 seconds and I'm not leagally sworn in to uphold the laws of the state and protect it's citizenry.....just try'in to watch out for my own ass and family.

Call it in or leave out the back..................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.