First time in my life i had to point a gun at someone!!!

This is a discussion on First time in my life i had to point a gun at someone!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, first off, ive been registered on this forum for a while and only have a few posts, but what happened last night really ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time in my life i had to point a gun at someone!!!

First time in my life i had to point a gun at someone!!!

Hi everyone,

first off, ive been registered on this forum for a while and only have a few posts, but what happened last night really did happen....its not one of these made-up stories or anything

I live in a modest neighborhood and crime has not really been much of a problem, until recently....

the past month i have had the windshield busted out of my car twice, along with just about everybody on my street....the last time it happened i saw the guy doing it....smashing windows with a skateboard....I ran out my front door but he was gone before i could get a hold of him....i had my gun on my side.......called cops but they did not get the guy.........that was two weeks ago....

this incident happened last night:

about five a.m. my sister woke me up and told me someone was banging the back door.....i grabbed my gun and flashlight.....as i got closer to the back door i thought the glass was going to be smashed in...i have a rear patio door that is mostly glass......

i pulled up the blinds to see this guy i did not know kicking and pounding on my door......i lit him up with my flashlight and told him to get off my property....

the guy starts cussing me up and down saying "this is my house, get the [Edited] out of my house, youre going to jail"....the guy was obviously on something....

he then starts ramming his shoulder into my door and im leaning up against it.....my sister is on the phone with 911 and cops are on the way.....the guy is screaming at me the entire time.......

he then backs off.......on my patio i have two cinder blocks i keep for winter to put in the back of my truck....this guy turns around, picks one up......puts it over his head and is ready to smash the block through my door.......

I immediately rip the door open and raise my gun. (Sig Sauer 229/.357)....after thinking about it for a sec he drops the cinder block and runs around to the front of the house trying to smash in my front door......this guy is yelling and screaming and i dont know if he has a gun, knife, etc......i chase him around to the front of my house and raise my gun again.....he runs off down the street.....

about five seconds later a police cruiser races by.....cop sees the guy, jumps out and the guy starts fighting with the cop.....the cop pulls out a tazer.......game over.....

the cop told me the guy was high on heroin, he had a needle in his pocket, along with a knife........

needless to say i was very shaken up....i have never pointed a gun at anything more than a paper target with a shoot-n-c........

the cop was very positive about my reaction and using my weapon....he told me if the guy had smashed my window no telling what else he was willing to do once inside......

i have to go down next week and file trespass charges on this idiot, and hope he does not come back......

just thought i would share my story.....its very un-nerving when you have to point a loaded gun at someone,,,but im glad i have a gun....i just went for my CCW test last week and im even more convinced now i did the right thing in applying for one.....
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 31st, 2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Language workaround.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Sounds like a good end to a nasty event. In your case the representation of the weapon put an end to things. Good call on your part. I'm sure the adrenaline was pumping and the heart was racing, congrats on keeping your cool through all that.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Sounds like a good end to a nasty event. In your case the representation of the weapon put an end to things. Good call on your part. I'm sure the adrenaline was pumping and the heart was racing, congrats on keeping your cool through all that.
    thanks....i didnt really get scared til' after it was all over...then my nerves started in.......im sitll kind of shaking over it.......not a pleasant thing to do

Glad this had a good ending for you.

I am sure I probably would have fired if he was coming at my door with a cement block to try to get in. I am glad I live in Florida. I don't have to retreat out of my own house. The home invader would have ate a few rounds from my Glock 19....then I would have called 911.
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Wow, glad you are OK, sorry about your neighborhood, whats happened with that?

What an rush that must have been, drugged out nut-job trying to break into your home. Good job on not blowing him away.

After calling 911 I might have hunkered down with the sister until the cops showed. If the BG had made it into the house I would have an advantage to take him out.

Showing yourself through the back glass door might have ended badly if he was armed.

Over all you did good, stay armed.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Thanks for sharing. I am glad everything turned out OK.

If I may, perhaps running outside after him was not the best idea. He could have had some buddies hidden in the shadows who might have jumped you from behind, or he could have doubled back and made it inside before you, thus endangering your sister. Just my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by ncligs View Post

I am sure I probably would have fired if he was coming at my door with a cement block to try to get in. I am glad I live in Florida. I don't have to retreat out of my own house. The home invader would have ate a few rounds from my Glock 19....then I would have called 911.

once i had leveled my gun at the guy he must have sobered up for a split second because he dropped the block immediately.......

Quote Originally Posted by ncligs View Post

I'm with you. I think the situation was handled very well, but I'm sure I would have squeezed the trigger when he lifted the brick.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post

If I may, perhaps running outside after him was not the best idea. He could have had some buddies hidden in the shadows who might have jumped you from behind, or he could have doubled back and made it inside before you, thus endangering your sister. Just my thoughts...
    yeah, thats what i thought after it was over.....but i could just feel my adreanaline pumping and just on instinct went after him.....my front door was closed and locked so i really should have went back inside and shut the door

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post

That could have happened along with other possible scenarios. But for what did happen, I'm happy he neutralized the situation without getting harmed.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

If he would of smashed the window with the brick, it would be game over.
    I would be protected under the castle law.

Running outside was a bad idea, he could of been trying to lure you out.

Glad it ended well
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

I understand all you did, I may have done the same myself.
    Going out to find the dirtbag could have caused additional problems, but I probably would have done the same and taken my Rhodesian with me (a great distraction).
    Calling 911 and reporting an attempted B&E/Home Invasion...in progress would have had the cops making the call a little more important. That said, I don't know that I'd want to be outside my home, in the dark, with a gun...it complicates the issue at hand.

Congrats on defending the homefront.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad it worked out for you. I too would have done the same thing. I guess my next purchse with be a shotty. As other members will tell you use a small gun to fight to a bigger one.

Well done, sir - considering the stress you were under, I think you did an excellent job and the result was idea.

Some 'Monday morning quarterbacking' if I may...

Others have pointed out the tactical flaw of going out after the guy - I'd like to point out a possible legal problem if you had to shoot the guy once you were outside. If a jury were to hold you to the "...reasonable man of average constitution..." BS what would they have thought when the bad-guys lawyer says, "...that killer saw him raising a cinderblock to smash in the glass door and he OPENED the door and went outside to kill my poor, wayward client"

I'd wager the average sheep on the jury would mistakenly agree that you went out after him to kill him, and he (the gun-hating juror) would have done very differently (cower in fear under the table with the phone in his hand).

Just twisting the situation against you, sir. Not saying I would have done any differently under the circumstances.

Be well,
    V

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    Hi everyone,

...about five seconds later a police cruiser races by.....cop sees the guy, jumps out and the guy starts fighting with the cop.....the cop pulls out a tazer.......game over.....
    Sorry you had to point and almost shoot the guy, but the section above was sorta funny.

As a former LEO back when the Saber Tooth was still running around, I had to draw my gun a few times and once or twice, it almost went cannon. Anyway, glad it worked out and yes, you did the right thing by taking the CCW course. I’m sure your wife appreciates the value of you conviction. BTW: Now’s a good time to buy whatever you want, since your boss (wife) will likely give you the green light!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links