Here is a, "what would you have done thread?"

This is a discussion on Here is a, "what would you have done thread?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so maybe two years ago I was out working in a not so good area. I was in a power line right of way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is a, "what would you have done thread?"

Here is a, "what would you have done thread?"

Ok, so maybe two years ago I was out working in a not so good area. I was in a power line right of way in between a canal and the manufacturing plant that was the source of the contamination in the area (hence the reason I was there). So, I am standing by the passenger door of the truck pumping nasty water out of the ground when I look up to see a tall man holding a rifle across his body walking towards me. He was coming from the adjoining neighborhood (definitely part of the not so good area) and walking over the earthen bridge over the culvert in the canal. I am just under 6' 1" and could tell he was taller than I was. At this point I opened the door and got behind it and contemplated drawing.

Given the situation up to this point what would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

It's tuff to say. How far away is he. He obviously had a leg up on range. Although I would certainly fell the need to draw, tactically speaking waiting until he got closer or presented a more certain threat would be a better way to go. Plus he already has a gun drawn, so youd have to be real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing.

He was not acting in a threatening manner. He was walking toward you with a rifle. Its no big deal.

You would have been unjustified in drawing on him. To do so would have put the act of aggression on YOU...not on him. How would you expect somone to respond ?

Plus...you would have violated one of the rules of gunfighting...
    which is to never bring a pistol to a rifle fight...

If he had any intention of harming you he could have owned you from a ways off.

If he had gotten within you personal space (say 15 yards or whatever yours is) and you told him to stop advancing toward you and he persisted. Thats a different story and I would consider that a threat to you life considering he is brandishing a rifle.

What kind of rifle was it? Semi/Lever/Bolt?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    You really left us hanging on this one...you're gonna have to tell us what happenned.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    HG pretty much nailed that.

I agree the circumstances certainly would have produced a good con' orange, plus - but a rifle at half port is not a threat really - a guy who happens to have with him a rifle will most probably carry it this way from habit.

True too - he had the luxury of range had he wanted to shoot.

You didn't mention relative distances Roc - so I can only part imagine the scene - plus the type of rifle probably would make a difference. Good ol' bolt then guy perhaps a hunter. AR15 then spidey sense triggered!!!

Most of all tho in that position I would have been very alert and prepared, but not drawn - just watching and judging, with millisecond refresh intervals.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I think body language would dictate what I would do. if he was looking threatening, i would get otta there in the truck . if I thought he was less of a threat I might covertly draw and keep the gun hidden but ready. Also finding hard cover would be a good idea. Most rifles will punch thru a vehicle door easy.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Nothing.

He was not acting in a threatening manner. He was walking toward you with a rifle. Its no big deal.

You would have been unjustified in drawing on him. To do so would have put the act of aggression on YOU...not on him. How would you expect somone to respond ?

Plus...you would have violated one of the rules of gunfighting...
    which is to never bring a pistol to a rifle fight...

If he had any intention of harming you he could have owned you from a ways off.
    This was what my mind was thinking after I got behind the car door. He had a rifle, was walking towards me, was probably 20-30 yards away when I saw him, but he wasn't acting in a threatening manner. So, I put myself in the best cover/concealment I had on hand and remained very alert.

It soon became apparent that this tall man was a very tall kid, probably 15 or 16 years old and the rifle was a very realistic looking BB/pellet gun. He was probably 15 yards from me when I ascertained that he was just a kid out shooting frogs and such with his BB gun. He saw me and figured he would come over to see what I was doing never thinking about how he looked.

I thought about saying something to caution him from walking up to strangers with the gun like he did, but couldn't think of a way to word it that sounded non-threatening enough so I just let it go.

I do remember thinking afterwards about the second I took to recognize a potential threat and get behind the door. I mean I looked at this guy with what I thought was a rifle and just stood there staring in disbelief for a second. It scared me a bit even though I was happy that it ended the way it did. I did go through the what if a couple of times before I chalked it up to experience and decided to move quicker next time instead of staring like a deer in the headlights.

It's been said already but he could have had you at range before you could have done anything. He was not carrying in a threatning manner, when out for a walk and I see someone I always carry my riffle that way across the chest, you should always be on alert but not confronting.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    It's been said already but he could have had you at range before you could have done anything.
    +1

If "he" was any good with the "rifle" and wanted you, you'd have never had a chance.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Yup. A man standing 100 yards away with a rifle pointed in your direction is a threat. A man carrying a rifle across his body and walking towards you has voluntarily put himself in a position in which he is not much of a threat.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    It's been said already but he could have had you at range before you could have done anything. He was not carrying in a threatning manner, when out for a walk and I see someone I always carry my riffle that way across the chest, you should always be on alert but not confronting.
    I agree with HG and Sheldon as well.

Besides, if it had been a hunting rifle, the door would have done you no good for cover. Behind the engine block would be the better choice for defense.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I agree with HG and Sheldon as well.

Besides, if it had been a hunting rifle, the door would have done you no good for cover. Behind the engine block would be the better choice for defense.
    Don't I know it. It was just the quickest thing I could think of to get a little concealment. I just didn't react quick enough and didn't want to turn my back to get behind the car (the car was facing him and he was walking towards the front of the car on the passenger side). I was in West Palm Beach at the time so knew he wasn't out hunting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocnerd
    I was in West Palm Beach at the time so knew he wasn't out hunting.
    If the guy was balheaded, with a moustache, smoking a stogie and with a look of sheer madness, don't worry, he is a member of our club. Next time just yell I AM A LIBERTARIAN and you will be invited to beers and pomeranian hunting.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

All the "but what if's" and "could have beens" aside, judging from the outcome, the right thing was done.

It's a classic example of why a conditioned "knee-jerk" reaction is very often a very bad idea. Leave some room in your tactical training for adaptation to real world situations.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links