Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief. - Page 2

Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief.

This is a discussion on Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine was mugged near Wayne State University in Detroit and the cops were just a few blocks away....the perp stole her laptop ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief.

A friend of mine was mugged near Wayne State University in Detroit and the cops were just a few blocks away....the perp stole her laptop and Ipod. Of course no one did anything to help and the cops came 15 minutes later.

I am thinking of carrying a taser but the ones out there are too big for concealed carry. The small ones are too feminine.

:-(
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    A good detective should have considered this a lead. Who knows what other stolen property migh have been recovered if they caught that guy.
    One night as I was working my LP job, a Guy came into our store and stole $1000 worth of Men's Dress Pants. I ran outside to stop him and he jumped into a waiting truck. The truck tried to hit me (or scare me) as he tore out of the parking lot. I got a License Plate Number and a Crisp Clear Picture on CCTV. I called the police and filed a report. I called the detective assigned to my case a few days later and he basically told me that investigating shoplifting wasn't his job, He only investigated robbery and burglary.

So to me that was an open and shut case, but this PD just doesn't seem to care.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

tag
    Should have hit him with the stun gun just for giggles.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    ...The small ones are too feminine. :-(
    Feminine? I guess the pink one sorta looks' suggestive. Anyway, I was just out with my dogs and thinking of selling one of my guns and buying one of those devices.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Administrator
    Glad that it all worked out OK for you.
    Probably not the wisest thing that you could have done but, I've done some things in the past myself that were not exactly what I would term as being brilliantly thought through.

I've heard people say that they don't carry in certain situations or places because they think that they're safe, but this is the first time I've heard someone decide not to carry because the place/situation was dangerous!

Intentionally going into a dangerous situation or not, you still have the right to defend yourself if you're threatened with deadly force. Had he wanted to do you some serious harm, maybe had a buddy or two to help, you'd have been in a whole world of trouble with some OC and a stun gun.....

Glad it worked out for you. I absolutely understand the horror of losing the laptop. Just kill me now!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I respect your decision . A scary one perhaps..but I remind people constantly...YOU are responsible for your own self protection. The police cant, or wont, either way they aint. No disrespect intended for the LEO industry. They themselves bound by tons of red tape.

but glad it went well.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Great job. You handled it as responsibly as you could have. You basically pleaded and begged the police to come to your assistance bu they refused. You even showed up at the police station and still they refused. You took it upon yourself to retreive YOUR property and did it properly. Great job.! My question is, did you even bring the handgun?

I'd have met with him armed with more than a stun gun and pepper spray. If the guy tried to take it back, I would have put the fear of God in him by introducing him to my universal translator....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Glad you got your laptop back. If you had any seriously personal information, SSN, DOB, Bank account info, stuff like that I would watch your credit report very closely for a while.

Does the guy live in your apartment complex. It seems that he does, or at least relatively near. I would watch your back and your property very closely.

From his actions, it looks like he just wanted to make some quick money and should not be a threat to you in the future, but you never know. He didn't seem like a really serious criminal or he would not have contacted you in the first place. Not the brightest bulb in the box.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I've heard people say that they don't carry in certain situations or places because they think that they're safe, but this is the first time I've heard someone decide not to carry because the place/situation was dangerous!
    I understand the decision to not carry when you think you might need it. Especially in an area that may not be as supportive of your right to defend yourself as we would all like. If you go somewhere that you might need your gun and have to use it, there are some (including me) that are going to ask the question "Why did you go there in the first place". If that was the only question, you'd probably be okay, but add in a few other questions and you might really be in trouble.

However, I also understand the decision to go get your laptop back but not pay the "ransom" demanded. IMHO, you handled that very well. I would be very tempted to do something more than just get my laptop back. Perhaps bring a "few" of my friends and see if he had anything else I wanted. (Not that I would really rob him right back, but the thought does cross my mind!)

Have you seen "Deal of the Century" with Chevy Chase? He is an arms dealer. There is a scene where he gets robbed at gunpoint right after he leaves from a gun sale. He has his demo product in a box that he's carrying. The robber asks for his wallet, then his watch, etc. then asks "what's in the box" and makes him open it. While the robber is distracted by what's in the wallet, Chevy Chase pulls the gun out of the box. He asks for his wallet back, his watch back, then the other guys gun, wallet, watch etc. That's justice! I'm going to have to watch that movie again!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Glad that it all worked out OK for you.
    Probably not the wisest thing that you could have done but, I've done some things in the past myself that were not exactly what I would term as being brilliantly thought through.
    My thoughts too!
    All's well that ends well.
    You do have a set...

I might have tried the same thing, but once that individual placed a hand upon me...I would have become very unfriendly.

Stay armed...watch your back...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would have gone after my laptop too. Or my wallet or my anything that belonged to me. Now saying that I would have certainly been armed, I would have had a tape recorder running and a friend watching my back. I would have had my friend with a video camera if he could get close enough to film it and then I would have taken the film to the police. With cell phones now even I could have been using it to video the whole thing. The very least would have been a picture of the guy. I might have even set him up to be followed so I'd know where he lives.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    All I can say for you is "WHEW"..........you are blessed
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    To make along story short, I would have K.O.'ed that bum.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links