Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief. - Page 4

Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief.

This is a discussion on Yesterday my Laptop was Stolen. Today I met with the thief. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a story for the press, I sure the chief would love to explain the lack of response to the press....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Sounds like a story for the press, I sure the chief would love to explain the lack of response to the press.

Whatever you thought the law was regarding carrying a firearm into a situation like this one, if I had made the commitment to go into a high risk meeting such as this one, I would have carried regardless of my perception of possible technicalities. What I mean by this is as good, honest, hard working, every-day law-abiding citizens that we are, I would not risk my safety (by not having my gun with me) over the possibility of me breaching a law, especially if I'm not even sure if it would be a breach.

A lot of us admit that we would have had to go into this situation and get our computer back, just like you did, even knowing deep down that it really isn't worth it (I think some of us would go on principle; no-one likes being wronged like that). The bottom line to always remember is would you rather be judged by twelve or carried by six?
    My thought process would have been: "I'm certainly taking my guns, now is it worth the possible six-digit lawsuit if I have to end this turd's existence to protect myself if it goes South on me?". That is where you have an even bigger decision to make than a non Concealed Weapons Permit holder would have. Had you definitely planned to take your firearm, you may have thought through the whole process of going at all a little differently if you knew for sure that there were CWP rules to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    Sounds like Michigan LEO's
    We cant get them to do anything here either. Iam glad you got your laptop back & that everything went well
    What Michigan LEO's? The State and Counties are laying them all off, and the Gov. is cutting loose prisoners faster than ever.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

There are soooo many tough Guys here.
    They would of done this or done that, all with outcomes that would of been much worse then yours.
    You did fine.
    Your Leo's suck.
    Watch your back. They know you But you know one of them.
    Like me with my Meth head drug house next door. Stay alert.
    You not only can "Talk the Talk but you Can, Walk the Walk".
    Well done.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I think ya did good - but - you better watch your back more than usual now.
    For God, Family and Country!

Exclamation My 2 cents...

I would have taken two guns and a whole bunch of friends to that meet!!

Glad it went well...
    Last edited by CopperKnight; June 7th, 2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate comment
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Cool you got your laptop back. The cops were worthless - the guy committed assault and should have been arrested for that, extortion, and possession. Maybe a letter to the newspaper, AG and Chief of Police is in order.
    Definitely all of the above, especially Receiving/Possession of Stolen Property*. I don't know why the police wouldn't make an arrest for that. That's really sad. Maybe the Mayor & police Chief need to hear about this.

What you described is the exact reason why I always lock my car when I have to make multiple trips to & from it.

I must say, you've really got a pair. I wouldn't have gone into that situation unarmed but well done!

*In most states, Receiving Stolen Property is defined as being in possession of stolen property within a reasonably short time after the property was actually stolen. One day later certainly qualifies as a "reasonably short time". The penalties for Receiving are usually the same as those for theft itself and since the value of your laptop was over $500.00 (the value probably varies from state to state) we're probably talking Grand Theft.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Badass man, I would have done the same thing, but I would have had 17 rounds of "Who's your daddy" sitting at 4 o'clock.

Glad you got your stuff back, and if he comes back for more, then you can introduce him to Roscoe.

you sure have a sorry police dept. in Austin they would have worked w/you.
    what you did took a lot of guts but im not sure how smart it was.
    this kind of thing is why i never live in apts.i lived in apts when very young but not for a long time now.

i wish i had a neighbor like you.
    congrats on your personal victory..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

dude, must be hard to walk around with those brass ones. kudos on ya mate. it seems that these yahoos live around you and you better carry and watch your back for the next year.

next time ask a friend with a long gun to overwatch the meet. do you remember the scene from "heat" in the abandoned outdoor theater? you never know when you need a friend with a G3 stoked with .308s.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    One night as I was working my LP job, a Guy came into our store and stole $1000 worth of Men's Dress Pants. I ran outside to stop him and he jumped into a waiting truck. The truck tried to hit me (or scare me) as he tore out of the parking lot. I got a License Plate Number and a Crisp Clear Picture on CCTV. I called the police and filed a report. I called the detective assigned to my case a few days later and he basically told me that investigating shoplifting wasn't his job, He only investigated robbery and burglary.

So to me that was an open and shut case, but this PD just doesn't seem to care.
    are you in columbus?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links