Kids these days...

Kids these days...

This is a discussion on Kids these days... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was working in my garage yesterday afternoon, installing a new garage door opener, when I heard a car pull up and stop in front ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids these days...

Kids these days...

I was working in my garage yesterday afternoon, installing a new garage door opener, when I heard a car pull up and stop in front of my house. My truck was parked in my driveway with the doors unlocked and the windows down, so I thought I should go outside and secure my vehicle.

I exited my house through the front door and noticed 3 guys in their late teens or early twenties standing around 2 compact cars from the mid-90's. I live in a quiet sub-division and know all of my neighbors. Immediately I knew these guys were out of place. I was not wearing my glasses, as I often don't when working in the garage so it was hard for me to see exactly what was going on. As I walked toward my truck I looked at the group and asked them, in a stern voice, if there was anything I could help them with. All 3 responded at the same time with some variation of "No, "We're playing a prank on a friend", and "don't worry about it".

It was then that I was close enough to notice that all three had bandannas tied loosely around their necks and, upon closer inspection, I noticed all three were situating what appeared to be handguns in their waistbands. I immediately went from threat-con Bravo to threat-con Charlie and returned to my house, locked the door behind me, and unholstered my Kahr MK9 which I was carrying in a desantis nemesis in my cargo shorts pocket. I went upstairs and retreived my Remington 870 and chambered a round of #00 buck. I went from window to window upstairs and could not see where the 3 kids had disappeared to.

I decided at this point to call the local PD and explain what I had just witnessed. As I was on the phone with the police I saw the 3 men return to their vehicles and "disarm" what I could now clearly see were water guns.

This week is the last week of school for the local senior class, and after hearing my description of the events, the police dispatcher believed this was a case of seniors playing a game of "tag". They put word out to the patrol cars in the area to be on the lookout for the kids, and we left it at that.

I hope that someone was able to talk some sense into these kids and explain that their actions could have had deadly consequences had they come knocking on my door, or any of the 3 LEO's doors who also live on my street.

What's wrong with people that makes them think that simulating a violent crime is a reasonable prank to play on someone? Kids these days...

Thats a dangerous game they are playing with those toy guns.

You gotta remember, teenagers are invulnerable to everything but facial acne. They cannot be hurt no matter how stupid they act.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Can see the headlines now . They were good kids and they were just playing around. You know how school kids are. The officer should of realized that before he shot and killed them. Bandannas and toy gun not toys. Beach balls and pails of sand= TOYS.

What looked like a prank with water pistols could as easily have been a home invasion or a robbery...it's been done before with toy pistols.
    If you didn't know them, how would you know it was really a prank?

Kids do stupid things, and stupid kids do worse!

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good alertness and response on your part. It hasn't been too many years since I was graduating High School, but I'm pretty sure I never did anything as boneheaded as that.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

You did the right thing calling it in, thankfully it was just kids playing a prank, could've been real bad for someone had they presented themselves differently.

VIP Member
    geez what a good way to get shot

its that time of year now though, end of school pranks and then all the kids out for the summer, we get to answer a lot more crazy teen calls now
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Good way to get shot.

Good cover story for armed teenagers doing a home invasion.

Good for calling it in, and not taking any chances.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I have a theory about teenagers as a whole: they think they are Invincible, Immortal, and Impregnible. I think they are Idiots.

Teenage boys in particular have "temporary sociopath syndrome." Admit it, you know most of them do. Then they grow up into men and stop being morons.

These kids were first class morons. Good thing it was only water pistols and no one drew down on them. THIS TIME.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Thats a dangerous game they are playing with those toy guns.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

They could of been accidentally shot
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

What they need is someone to tell them you noticed the guns and almost shot them thinking they were about to attempt a home invasion. that could have been a very sobering thought.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

VIP Member
    What's wrong with people that makes them think that simulating a violent crime is a reasonable prank to play on someone? Kids these days...
    Short answer:
    VIDEO GAMES
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Short answer:
    VIDEO GAMES
    I will have to disagree with that. I grew up playing video games and never even thought of doing anything this stupid. The real problem is that these kids have parents that don't teach them right from wrong and have them so doped up on prozac and other medications that these kids minds just don't function properly.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links