4 on 1 gunfight?

This is a discussion on 4 on 1 gunfight? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TravisABQ Just Dial 911? The Myth of Police Protection Excerpt from the above link: Jerry, While I would lean your way on ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 4 on 1 gunfight?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Just Dial 911? The Myth of Police Protection

Excerpt from the above link:

Jerry, While I would lean your way on a moral obligation of police to intervene in a crime in progress, what matters is the law, and court decisions have repeatedly ruled that police have no requirement to save a person from crime.

They can sit in their car, and watch you get beaten into peanut butter, you'll get NOWHERE in a lawsuit against them.

It might be worth it to raise trouble with the PD, as the incident will be such bad press for the PD, and reveal those particular cops to be lazy cowards, they may get disciplined or terminated... but don't get your hopes up too high.

They probably WILL act on seeing such a crime in progress, but they don't have to, and the court decisions are they don't have too.
    Maybe I missed it, but the exerpts seem to be speaking of calling the cops, and not cops witnessing a crime.
    I go to church with an LEO, and if he is there tomorrow I will ask the question. It is my view that if the cops sat in the car and watched a violent attack or rape they would get sued and lose, but I am going to check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    Interesting scenario, while it is likely to happen in a "bad" area, could actually happen anywhere. I agree with lima, if my family is with me, I call police and keep them safe, they are my first priority. Secondly it depends upon where, if i am in my town with my normal CC I only have 8 rds, 9mm, a reload and bug. but the first shots must count and add the adrenaline and fear... wow... out side of town i carry higher capacity and larger caliber sometimes, might be more prepared.

I would call 911
    make safe, observe what is behind
    find cover
    if need or choose to act, do so from cover, and hit the first target

I think I would just shoot them...

With my camera phone.

VIP Member
    I agree with nutz4utwo

washington didínt use his right to free speech to defeat the british, he shot them

njr
    yeah, I hear ya on being responsible for bullets that leave your gun, but my impression was that the odds of a bullet shot in the air hitting someone on the way down with enough force to injure or kill are pretty infitesimle. Are the odds significantly higher than infitesimle?

Maybe shoot off to the side away from the crowd, into the ground, then? Or would that be more of a, in the country, no one else around move?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I seriously hope you wouldn't really do that! You're responsible for that bullet and any injury it causes!
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but the exerpts seem to be speaking of calling the cops, and not cops witnessing a crime.
    I go to church with an LEO, and if he is there tomorrow I will ask the question. It is my view that if the cops sat in the car and watched a violent attack or rape they would get sued and lose, but I am going to check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
    Jerry
    exactly Jerry, the case that Travis is referring to is the the failure of LEO in getting to the scene when someone calls 911, not witnessing something in progress
    I guarantee it.....if LEO see a crime in progress and don't intervene they not only lose their jobs (maybe only get severely disciplined) but will get sued for neglect of duty.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Only in the movies does someone go up against odds of 4-1 and expect to walk away. 5-1 really considering that the last guy can cover distance pretty easily, or pull their own weapon while you are distracted.

Too many other variables would be in place for me to say for sure one way or another. 5-1 can kill a man very easily even with bare hands. However, if it were a child, then yeah, it would be a bad day all around.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links