Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace). - Page 2

Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace).

This is a discussion on Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace). within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most dogs are all bark and no bite. Unfortunately, it is difficult know which is which until they are within about 5 feet of you. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace).

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Most dogs are all bark and no bite. Unfortunately, it is difficult know which is which until they are within about 5 feet of you. By then it's too late. I highly recommend carrying a stick with a pointed end. Lower the point to the charging dog's eye level. Don't swing it like a baseball bat (unless you're at the "too late" stage). My dad once held off a large charging dog with an ordinary fishing pole. It stopped him in his tracks.

A good loud, blood-curdleing yell works wonders too. Most dogs don't want to attack something that sounds madder than them. I have also seen pepper spray do wonderful things. Plus, it fits nicely in a pocket. I love dogs, but I have little tolerance for aggressive dogs.

One word: UMBRELLA

Rapidly opening an umbrella as it's pointing at the dog will stop its charge long enough to rethink the attack. That's why they are so popular with postal workers.

Then OC spray the dog once it's not a moving target. That will likely cause a quick retreat.

Don't feel so bad about what happened, everyone went home unharmed (the important point). A similar thing happened at my daughters bus stop, hence the reason I bought my gun when I did. It was a pretty big pitt bull got loose and was running around by the kids at the corner. Female owner had pitt by rear legs as the dog was being aggressive with another dog at stop. Thought to myself, if it were one of the kids, my kid, what would I do. Got my G27 the next day and stand at the stop with them. I like dogs too, but the pitts can be very aggressive.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Glad everything worked out for you. Great SA. I had a hitch customer who sells and installs invisible fences, he told me of a case that he had. There was 1 dog that kept getting out of the backyard. The owners could not figure out how the SOB kept doing it. So he spent the whole day watching this dog. The dog realized that the closer he got to the fence line the louder the beeping became as a warning not to go any further. Then the dog would lie down right before the zapping began. The louder the beeping from the collar the quicker the battery in the collar went dead. Once the battery was dead the dog could just walk away without getting zapped from the collar. So my customer shut off the beeping from the collar and the dog never got out again. The dog got zapped a few times as a new learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    The dog, I think surprised by my command, stumbles, skids toward us, and maybe 4 feet away begins to yip and walk back-wards away from us.
    I know some of you are not very religious, but it is a miracle that dog stumbled and stopped. A few inches more, I would have shot. As to why that something would not just make the dog less aggressive, IDK. I guess how I moved could have confused the dog, along with my voice. BTW, no invisible fence situation.
    I'm not an expert, but I think this is what happened.

Technically, the dog was not aggressive. Aggressive dogs don't stop, don't hesitate, they just attack. More likely what was happening was a challenge.

Why did it stop? Your adrenaline got your command voice going and the tone in your voice changed the dog's mind. Basically the dog got the idea maybe it was better not to mess with you.

You should call the police. The real problem here is that the owners don't understand that it is not OK to let the dog run free, and it is not OK to let it behave that way towards people on the street. Owners like this need to be educated.

OC spray probably isnt' a bad idea to help change a dog's mind similar to this situation. However, as noted above, a truly aggressive dog is just going to attack, and the OC spray isn't going to phase it.

The sad part about all this, is it isn't the dog's fault. Dogs aren't people so they don't inherently know how to behave in human society. The owner must provide training and structure to keep the dogs behavior appropriate and protect the dogs from dangerous situations.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Technically, the dog was not aggressive.
    A rose by any other name. It's hard to call it anything else.

Aggression is an assertive physical infliction of will on another. It's any offensive action, attack, inroad or encroachment. By any other name, that's what the dog did.

I doubt one in ten people in the same situation would see it much differently, on the moment of the charge.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As for a good dog weapon I would recommend a collapsing baton. A good place to pick a cheap one up is Cheaper Then Dirt. They are not bad batons and work great against dogs. I do recommend if you get a baton from Cheaper then Dirt you take it apart and clean it with your gun cleaning stuff then apply a light coat of oil. After 20 to 50 openings the baton smooths out and works great. Nothing like steel for good blunt force trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    As for a good dog weapon I would recommend a collapsing baton. A good place to pick a cheap one up is Cheaper Then Dirt. They are not bad batons and work great against dogs. I do recommend if you get a baton from Cheaper then Dirt you take it apart and clean it with your gun cleaning stuff then apply a light coat of oil. After 20 to 50 openings the baton smooths out and works great. Nothing like steel for good blunt force trauma.
    agreed. a walking stick or something like it works wonders. you can ward them off with that. and if the agression continues then I would draw. convert the dog to swiss.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Back in 1995, when i went with my wife to purchase my Chessie out in the middle of no place up here, we both got out of the car. In about 3 microseconds after I closed the car door, 2 of the biggest dogs I've ever met were heading our way. My wife bailed back into the car and I continued toward them. I'm still here without a nibble from either parent. Ruger, my pup, grew up to hit a 135 Lbs. at his prime. He was at my side when we faced down a large black bear about 3 in the morning and never moved until I pulled him back. None of us for the worse. 99% of dogs are just barking. If they really wanted you, they would have you. The other 1% will bite you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

first off, if you have to deal with a dog you need to "understand dogs". Now I'm no dog whisperer, I have had some the best bird dogs ever.

Understanding a dogs position/action is important to THE DOGS LIFE.

Here is my take on your problem

1) if it's anything other than a pitbull, THEY get the benefit of the doubt. If it was a pitbull, it is dead...period.

2) most attacking dogs are protecting territory, but you can't be sure of that.

3) If a dog approaches, and is growling with it's tail up and ears up, shoot...don't wait..... don't say anything, just shoot.

4) If a dog is approaching, growling with tail down and ears down, he;s just as scared as you, relax...look straight down and stand still, do not run. draw your weapon to be ready
    DO NOT look the dog in the eyes, but keep an eye on it. it's good bet he's going to walk/run right up to you but not do anything other than bark and growl. (be ready to shoot, but I'll bet a bite, the dog will walk away)

5) all-n-all you did good, anytime you can walk away with no injuries, your good.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We walk our dogs on a leash every day. In my neighborhood, there are constantly people walking. Most carry an axe handle or some other type of club. We are 4 blocks outside the city limits so there are always a few idiots that let there dogs run free. A man down the street from me, in his late 80's, walks daily. A few weeks ago I saw a couple of very aggressive strays go after him.(We have a lot of dog dumping in our area.) The old man whacked one dog with an axe handle as it tried to attack his leg. End of that story. Both dogs ran for their life. These two dogs had attempted to give me a hard time earlier but they decided to leave me alone after I had a talk with them. A club or walking stick is very formidable against dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Here is my opinion on what you did. When the dog first charged your fight or flight kicked in and you chose flight buy using your wife for protection. Probably a split second later your brain kicked in just enough to say what are you doing so you came around her and took care of the situation.

Why do I think this way? Well first you seem to have Analise the situation and came up with a story about what you did but from your post you still don't quite seem to believe yourself fully. Secondly the best defense against a dog that close and charging would to be get as big as you can and as loud as you can while advancing on the dog and drawing your weapon, if it comes to it let the dog take your non weapon arm and stick your shooter against its guts and pull the trigger. Its hard to hit a fast moving target especially that close to your wife.

The thought of my wife taking the attack so I could get set makes me sick to my stomach. I could not live with myself knowing she got the scars because I didn't stand up and take the hit. What if it was a gun or knife? Would you let her take the first hit to get set?

Just my opinion, I assume thats what you are looking for.
    No, I was not in flight mode. More my drive to defend / protect both self and wife was overwritten by a concern I might get in trouble for taking out my firearm. That is what bothers me most.

At the same time, it was the right choice, that time, as a simple walk could have turned into LE involvement, angry dog owner, etc.

Getting mace tomorrow. Situation not going to happen again.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    agreed. a walking stick or something like it works wonders. you can ward them off with that. and if the agression continues then I would draw. convert the dog to swiss.
    What's this stuff with "sticks". Waving a stick at a dog is like someone pulling a gun on you, it will put alot of them into an aggressive/defensive mode instantly .... even if they weren't in one before that.

I have a crazy guy here who walks with a "staff" ... about a 5-5 1/2 ft stick. I live on a corner and you can see into my back yard easily from the street. I'm out there ... with them in my back yard, which is fenced, etc... and they are relieving themselves and could care less about this guy.

He starts shouting out to me one time about how my dogs better never "approach him " or ...... he's holding the stick in a 'attack' manner.... and commences tell me what he'll do to them. Now, you could have walked up and threatened my kids and the response I have for that would probably not be any different. What the HELL ? The fence is 150 ft from the street, they are within the fence, and I'm standing there as well.... but I talk to myself and ignore the koot.

Well, the next time I see this guy coming by with my dogs in backyard, in the fenced area as normal (they are never there without me with them...), he does the same thing.... starts shouting "threats". My dogs hadn't even looked at this guy, let alone barked or anything else. They could care less about him walking by out there.

About the 4th time, he starts threatening me too.
    OK... that's it... we're having a discussion. So, I slooooowly walk out toward him ... upon which he holds the stick up with both hands like he is getting ready to "use it", making sure I know he has it, or that he's willing to use it. I'm 50 ft from him and never leave my yard. I advised him at that point to 1) find a new street to walk in if he's so afraid at the sight of a dog , 2) if he steps into my yard at all..... he'll get charged with trespassing and anything else I can get him charged with, including his threats 3) if he ever attempts to harm the dogs.... it would be a REALLY bad idea, and 4) I was calling the Police and advising them of all of the above, including his threats towards me and the dogs, that I've advised him to stay off my property, etc.

It's not my issue the koot has an irrational fear of dogs, and doesn't need to make it either my or my dog's issue. For now, I noticed he's walking down a different street these days. Good !

Thank you for the replies.

I know now what is messing me up about the situation. I'm not prepared to shoot a dog. In almost every confrontation I've had worth talking about, I have to let the dog get within striking distance of an attach, and I don't even have my weapon out of the holster because I'm fearful of dealing with LEO interaction once I pull.

In contrast, I know what to do when it comes to a person. Yes, as with anyone, I can be tricked. But it is not the same. With the dog, IMO, I'm letting a less predictable element get within striking distance.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

I know now what is messing me up about the situation. I'm not prepared to shoot a dog. In almost every confrontation I've had worth talking about, I have to let the dog get within striking distance of an attach, and I don't even have my weapon out of the holster because I'm fearful of dealing with LEO interaction once I pull.

In contrast, I know what to do when it comes to a person. Yes, as with anyone, I can be tricked. But it is not the same. With the dog, IMO, I'm letting a less predictable element get within striking distance.
    Not sure what you are getting at here but its ok if you are not prepared to shoot a dog. Not sure what Eagleks post has to do with this ether but he is wrong about the stick deal. Dogs are hard to hit with bullets, they are moving fast and the chance of a stray bullet doing something bad is great. The best defense for a dog is a stick or baton. Mace dose not always work against dogs, and there is a chance of effecting yourself with the spray. A good whack will slow a dog down, a stick can be jabbed into a dogs head or body and used to hold off a dog so your weapon can be drawn and fired in a more controlled environment.

SO GET A WALKING STICK OR BATON and carry on with life. Try getting charged by a Grizzly Bear or a cow Moose. Dogs are no big deal after that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links