Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace).

This is a discussion on Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace). within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would get some OC as it's good to have other tools. ASP batons are nice but, you can't carry them anywhere. +1 OC...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog charged, used wife as a shield (think I need to buy mace).

I would get some OC as it's good to have other
    tools. ASP batons are nice but, you can't carry
    them anywhere.

+1 OC

2. Remove Ads

I think your actions were correct. Dont skip your evening walks because of some idiot with a dog, he refuses to control. Off topic a bit but my neighbor told me they were out walking and a dog she thinks was a stray growled at her. I have seen the dog near my yard once or twice. If it growls at my 1 1/2 year old daughter while she is out playing it WILL be dead.

I think going behind your wife was a good idea on another count - it's easier to get jumbled up with her if you try to go in front. Going behind lets you keep track of her, her movements, and the dog and also keeps her movements (arms) from interfering with your draw.

On a side note, if you shoot at a dog that's really close to you and miss, or the bullet goes through the dog, the bullet will disintegrate on impact with concrete.

Tactically speaking or otherwise, I think if I had used my wife as a "human shield", she'd be speaking with a divorce lawyer by now.

I'm just saying...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If I were your wife, you would be looking for someone to shield you from ME when it was over.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    If I were your wife, you would be looking for someone to shield you from ME when it was over.
    I'm not worried about her anger level. It is her fault. I'm not saying anything bad about my wife. Wonderful person, my best friend. But like most people, always assumes the best, rather not consider the worst.

She has a CCW, but does not carry. Relies on me to make those emergancy decisions. So at some level, she can't get mad, because she leaves it to me. She wanted the CCW to make range time easy, when traveling, and other misc times. Only time I "make" her carry is when she goes for a walk by herself. She wanted a firearm for home SD. Here is where I think she will do fine (Home SD). I'm not sure if she would do well outside the home.

So, since she does not carry every day, if she had a problem with what I did (and she does not), I would suggest she start carrying or let me know how she is going to take care of the situation next time.
    Last edited by Thanis; June 14th, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links