Drew tonight and I am pissed cuz I should have avoided the situation. Please learn...

Drew tonight and I am pissed cuz I should have avoided the situation. Please learn...

This is a discussion on Drew tonight and I am pissed cuz I should have avoided the situation. Please learn... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still can't believe it happened. I don't know if it is from my extreme lack of sleep or the high I am on form ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew tonight and I am pissed cuz I should have avoided the situation. Please learn...

I still can't believe it happened. I don't know if it is from my extreme lack of sleep or the high I am on form drawing my weapon...

Well I just got home from South Carolina after buying a truck and trailer down there, loading the trailer with our new pastors garage junk (pig roaster, riding mower, rotto-tiller, bikes, grill...). It was a VERY eventfull trip and apparently the best was saved for last.

I am embarased by the fact that I did not pay better attention but it is what it is and that is what I get for driving 900 miles straight on very little sleep...should'a got a motel room and slept. Now I am to wired to sleep.

I got all the way to Battle Creek, Mi (45 min from home) without any issue of personal safety...this is when I realized that I had allowed myself to get WAY low on fuel and I had better stop ASAP or be stuck on the side of I-94 at 2am. Thankfully the next exit had a gas station that was open and I wheeled her in, prepaid the clerk ($50 out of a $100 bill) and filled up. When I pulled up to the street to leave I saw a group of guys approaching that I had seen in the store when I pre-paid (wishing I had just paid at the pump now but hindsight being 20/20 and wanting a Mt. Dew...). The one kid (about 20) was looking right at me as he walked up to my open pass. window (which needs "help" going up due to a weak motor).

I probably should have just left quickly at that point but there was a fair amount of traffic and I am FAR from fast in a '87 Ramcharger loaded heavy with trailer and all. He stuck one hand in the window and asked if I had 20 bucks he could have for some food for him and his friends...I said, no...(I know many of you think that I should have given it to him but it has been my experiance that they will just ask for more after seeing your "giving" spirit)...

He "asked" again as his group of 3 others stood 10 feet away and waited quite nervously. I honestly do not know if anyone had gotten on the drives side of the truck as I was giving him my full attention and I had been able to close and lock the drivers window/door. I again said, "no" and also "sorry I can't help you guys out" (I NEVER give money out, but have given food to beggars with a poor reception each time).

He was persistant and said that he knew I had money and that he needed it more than I did and that I should just give it over so they could go eat... I again refused and this is when he tried to open the door (thankfully the auto locks worked) and by time he reached for the lock button I had my 1911 pointed at his face and asked that he please step back.

It felt like forever but he just kinda stared at me for a second and then turned and ran down the street. This is when I just left as quickly as I could and nearly caused an accident. I drove to the bottom of the freeway entrance ramp and then gathered my nerves and called 911 to report what happened.

Long story short, the police came with in minutes and then with in a few more the one I was talking to got a call on the radion that they caught the group a few blocks down and they were definately scared. I gave the best description I could and the officers said that they knew the stations cameras well and that I should not worry.

I should get a call tomorow or Monday letting me know how it turned out. The cops said that I was completely justified in my actions and I am EXTREMELY relieved by this as while I waited for them to arrive a million thought raced through my head as to what I could/should have done differently.

Overall I was releived that I was never in cuffs and also suprised that it only took about one hour before I could head for home.

I have had a few uncomfortable situations similar to this in the past but this was the first time that I was not able to just hit the gas and scoot (one other time I did exchange words but that was it). I wish that I did not have to go to places like that and this time it was 100% avoidable...I feel stupid but it is most certainly a lesson I will NEVER forget.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Glad you're ok. That's why we carry.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Oh, I just read it over (sorry if it is not very coherent)...

I had the gun in hand with both being down in the center console (lid flipped up). I drive with my left so I feel that it is a good plan of attack. I normally don't have this setup on a daily basis (gun in console) but due to the long trip and many stops in unknown areas I had my Kahr p45 IWB with extra mag in pocket and S&W PD1911 in center console with spare mag in driver door handle well.... New vehicle for me but I felt it worked out well. I would have liked to have more ammo but I flew down and had to travel light due to my checked luggage weighing 49 lbs with my two weapons, ammo, tools...)
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I cant stand persistent bums. Im a fairly laid backguy. Ask once, ok. But to keep asking is just uncalled for. Ive already said no. Also anybody reaching in my vehicle and trying to unlock my doors that i dont know is going to get a gun pointed at them. I say good job. Glad it all worked out. You also said they found the group a few blocks away and they were scared. Good. You may have saved there lives in the future. You cant just go around trying to unlock peoples doors because they didnt give you what you wanted.

Other than watching the fuel gauge, I think you did real well.
    Sitting in the truck cab is not the best position to fight from.
    You are alive, didn't have to shoot anyone. Thanks for sharing, must have been a rush.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Nothing to be 'pissed' about. You have every right to get gas at 2 A.M.
    These dirtbags could have had deadly intentions, and sometimes for a lot less than $20.

People who continue to beg after the first denial could be:
    1.) Just plain stupid
    2.) Mentally deficient
    3.) Ready to take a life for little or no money

All can be very dangerous.

Drawing your weapon could have easily saved your life and sounds like it avoided anyone getting shot prior to the 'message' finally be received.

When they took off running, I would have stayed right there and called 911.

Good job!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Looks like you handled it well. You came out of it OK, the would-be robbers got pinched, and nobody got hurt.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Yeah, you were too low on fuel, probably in a not-so-good part of town, should have paid at the pump, but keep in mind we are only humans and you can't do everything 100% perfect, 100% of the time. Also, hindsight is always 20-20. Don't worry about it, get some sleep, get back to normal, move on.

Now the one who actually should have avoided the situation is the guy who tried to open your truck door. Too bad he probably won't permenently learn from it though.

Good interaction and response by the police.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thumbs up

Sounds like you did fine.

Thoughts:

• You ran dangerously low on fuel at a place other than of your own choosing. Bad dog. The only mistake I see. And you see what came of that, though that could occur anywhere.
    • You were armed.
    • You were basically aware of what was going on.
    • You saw them coming.
    • Hopefully, you ran through your mind what to do had they all been armed/aggressive.
    • You read the "asking" (extortion) of money for what it was.
    • You saw the forceful demeanor of the leader and nervous behavior of the support crew for what it was.
    • You were prepared to draw when needed ... and it was needed.
    • Your competency and demeanor in the situation left zero guesses as to what was about to occur if the thug continued to be a threat.
    • You called police and had them take care of it. Might have been better to stay put, for the call; but then, I wasn't there and cannot assess the danger at the moment from other thugs or a "slingshot" from that same group.
    • You went home alive.

I have no comments other than one: kudos on doing everything well and going home alive.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank you to the MI legislature that finally gets it ans has made MI a shall issue state.This is why we should exercise our rights and get a permit.Well done. Next time dont stop or give the BG the opportunity. At two in the morning,a group of guys approaching is probably not bearing anything resembling good news.

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I feel stupid but it is most certainly a lesson I will NEVER forget.
    There ya go.

Lesson learned, you're safe, good job!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    +1 on everything everyone else said. You were well within your rights to get gas wherever and whenever you needed. Yes, you were exhausted and maybe your SA was not at 100%, but that doesn't mean it's ok for some persistent beggar to hassle you with his buddies, period. You did the right thing, the cops obviously felt so as well, and no one got hurt. I say great job!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think you did fine for the situation that you were in, and it sounds like you learned your lesson on putting yourself in that situation. But, as others have said, that could have happened at any gas station at any time. If you did that well while you were tired from driving all day long, then I'm sure you'll be fine with any other situation that comes your way. Congratulations on staying safe!

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    Good Job. Your home safe.

Great story, thanks for sharing this!

When they took off running, I would have stayed right there and called 911.
    I, too, would have moved. The reason being that now you're a sitting duck, it's clear you're armed, and the bad guys now know it. Who's to say they might not circle back around for a bit of retaliation? Maybe they were armed (you know the saying...the first one that draws is the winner), in which case if they did come back, this gentleman might not have been the first to draw.
    Last edited by brianko; June 13th, 2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Minor edit
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links