Almost used the 1911 on a dog

This is a discussion on Almost used the 1911 on a dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is the story. My wife tells me there is a dog out back peeing on her laundry. "the line hangs a little low" ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost used the 1911 on a dog

Ok here is the story.
    My wife tells me there is a dog out back peeing on her laundry. "the line hangs a little low" so i proceed to open the back door and step onto the patio. I am 20ft from said Pit bull now and I let a "Go Home" in a fairly gruffy voice. Here is where it went bad.

He decides he is going to charge me growling hard. I draw and flip the safety off and had a bead between his eyes and he stopped. He made a wide berth around me and a couple times he tried to growl and charge me again each time when i drew a bead he stopped.

My wife says i should have pulled the trigger the first time he was 6-7 ft away. What say you?

For reference we have no animal control to speak of and any law enforcement would be an hour out. I do not recognize the dog but it is the second time he has been here. What would you have done? If i had pulled the trigger should i call 911 and file a report? or what?

Administrator

"What would you have done?"

I would raise up the height of my laundry clothes-line so that my hanging laundry is well above the level where any dog could pee on it.

Problem solved.

VIP Member
    I think I would have pulled the trigger. He will be back again.
    What if the Wife was hanging out laundry and the Pit bull come's back and attack from behind.
    Do You have Kids running around the yard screeming having fun ?. The pit bull could charge Them ?.

Make a report of pit bull running loose, incase You shoot. You will be covered if the Law turn up at Your door.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would raise up the height of my laundry clothes-line so that my hanging laundry is well above the level where any dog could pee on it.

Problem solved.
    Uh, not necessarily. A dog marking territory doesn't need BVD's to do it. It's the territory that's the point. And it's the charging/challenging that's the danger, of course, not the urination.

OP: If that dog's territory (in its mind) now encompasses your yard, you'll know it soon enough. Be prepared, since it might well happen again.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

yeah i know i need to fix the line it only hangs down when she first loads it with laundry. I do have 2 kids and i will call our so called animal control tomorrow to report it. It just seemed almost wrong to shoot after he stopped.

Distinguished Member
    Raising the line will solve 1 part of the problem, what happens when the wife is carring basket, and nice doggy turns mean.???

Do you have kids or other pets to think about??

Try to watch it, see where it goes, and contact the owner, give them a warning before you, er well, do some doggy training.

Maybe an air rifle or sling shot to send him home, see if that deters him.

Z
    Last edited by SleepingZ; June 14th, 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: New computer has NO spell check.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

IMO I would have dropped the hammer... kids and GF/wife IS way more important then some mangy mutt...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    yeah i know i need to fix the line it only hangs down when she first loads it with laundry. I do have 2 kids and i will call our so called animal control tomorrow to report it. It just seemed almost wrong to shoot after he stopped.

Hmmm, that sounds to me to be the same as saying "I felt it was wrong to shoot back because the bad guy missed".

The dog was and is a danger to you and your family. If he isn't controlled he may just end up seriously injuring someone.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    I probably should have given a more serious answer.
    I think I must just be getting super-saturated with the recent glut of
    Shoot The Dog - Shoot The Cat - Shoot The Gorilla threads.

Do you know where the dog lives? I agree with making a paper trail...make a report, and if you have any way of contacting the owner, let him/her know that you will NOT allow their pit bull access to your children.
    I love dogs and realize that sometimes dogs get loose, but it certainly shouldn't be habitual.
    I'm also not particularly intimidated by big dogs...they bark and sometimes growl...that's their job. Dogs 'who live long lives' know the differences between a stranger and a threatening stranger.

Good luck with your canine difficulties.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

QK its all good I really felt I screwed up my no pulling the trigger was my biggest reason to post

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    My wife says i should have pulled the trigger the first time he was 6-7 ft away. What say you?
    I say always listen to your wife.

Sounds like it would have been justified. That being said, it is always good when everyone goes home without any bullet holes (dogs included)

Tough call. If I thought that the dog would come back to harm my wife or children, it would have been good bye dog. If not, everyone walks away a winner, dog included. I have had a neighbor who put his dog in the house and locked the doors because he knew that I was coming over to kill the dog for biting my 8 year old son, on the street, out of his yard.

I let the cops write him a $400 ticket, and pay for a $1200 visit from the paramedics. I think that he learned his lesson that day. Keep the dog up. Had the dog, a pit bull, have brought blood from my sons leg, there wouldn't have been any locked door that would have stopped me. I said all this to say that I emphasize with your plight. We all know that if you shoot someones dog, you will swing for it.

Best - Ted

Create the paper trail and if it happens again drop the hammer
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

VIP Member
    You have now left a dangerous dog to go bite someone elses kids. How would you feel if in a day or two you read that the dog mauled a kid to death 8 houses down? You should have helped your whole community by putting that thing down.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links