Let's get a few opinions

This is a discussion on Let's get a few opinions within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You walk into a gas station convenience store, turn to your right to get a fountain drink and to your left and parallel to you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's get a few opinions

Let's get a few opinions

You walk into a gas station convenience store, turn to your right to get a fountain drink and to your left and parallel to you is the counter. You see the perp walk up to the counter, pull a gun (you can plainly see the gun), point it at the clerk and demand that he give over all the money or he'll be shot. You can see things going down, but are partly hidden behind the corner of the isle. If you bolt for the door, he can move his gun about a foot and shoot at you, so running basically isn't an option.

What would you do in this scenario? You know the perp will see you on his way back out of the store and he will most likely still have his gun drawn.

Here's a pic I drew of the scenario convenience store so there's little confusion.

-Erik

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Duck down, pull your gun, and hope he just takes the money and runs, try to get a good description of the BG and be a good witness to the robbery, only shoot if he points the gun my way.
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    He's already shown me enough.By telling the clerk that he would shoot him, and having the means to carry out the threat,the BG just signed his own death warrent. OBTW,the clerk looked "in fear for his life" to me. I'd draw and come around the side of the counter. If the BG didn't drop his weapon immediately and/or started swinging it in my direction he'd be dead. If you hide,the clerk gives the BG the money,and then he shoots the clerk how will you feel in the AM? How will you explain your actions to the clerks family? How will I explain it to the BG's family you ask. Trust me,easily. In Fla-Dah,the "in the commission of a felony"thing comes into play. --------

Thumbs up If possible

If aisle does not dead end, move to the end of the isle, and as above in BCurry1 reply.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Problem is,If he sees you on his way out and points his weapon at you,Clerk is going to be in your line of fire!In reality aisles are normally open on both ends,If that were the case I would probably hide behind the end of the aisle, pissin my pants with my weapon drawn.I think in your scenerio you had better act now.

Assistant Administrator
    Eric - very similar to a scenario I painted elsewhere a coupla years or more ago - based in fact on one of my local gas stations.

Keeping max concealed will be priority, even to extent of seeing what might even provide any better cover - probably not much of that. I would for sure have gun drawn and perp in sights, showing as little of self as possible - which might mean looking over top of aisle - at which point I have some serious decision making to do - and fast.

The assessment of perp, his demeanor, nervousness - many things - some way to try and tell if he is a shooter or a threatener. Heaven knows tho how to be sure on that one.

Very likely once he is in sights a verbal challenge - LOUD - from that he will determine his fate because in an instant you could fire if he comes to your direction not just looking but swinging gun.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

los
    Easy. Duck down with my Weapon drawn in Con 1. Sit still, remain calm and wait for perp to exit the premis. If he discharges his weapon, or points his weapon at me while he's leaving the scene, I'd make my decision to take him down!

Looks like the CQB distance is within 21 ft. My Kimber UC is "dead-on" at that range!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Lead Moderator
    by proning out you can change your angle of fire, and not shoot unless you are given no other chance. also laying flat , you look like less of a threat, are less noticable and potentially a smaller target. Also most folks look eye level or near, not up or down naturally.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    He's already shown me enough.By telling the clerk that he would shoot him, and having the means to carry out the threat,the BG just signed his own death warrent. OBTW,the clerk looked "in fear for his life" to me. I'd draw and come around the side of the counter. If the BG didn't drop his weapon immediately and/or started swinging it in my direction he'd be dead. If you hide,the clerk gives the BG the money,and then he shoots the clerk how will you feel in the AM? How will you explain your actions to the clerks family? How will I explain it to the BG's family you ask. Trust me,easily. In Fla-Dah,the "in the commission of a felony"thing comes into play. --------
    This would be the way I would play it.
    Once he threatened grievous bodily harm he sealed his fate, I could not risk the fact that he wouldnt decide to go off & shoot everyone in the building, Once he crossed the line he has forced me into a situation of having to react. I could not live with myself if i just hunkered down hoping he would quietly leave after he recieved the money.. To watch him pull the trigger & drop the clerk when I could have done something before he shot would be a disaster & I believe that if you carry a weapon, it is to protect yourself & ANYONE around you that may need assistance.

Ask those people in the McDonalds down in Cali.... You cant , because no one had a firearm to stop that idiot,

Sorry......... Rant over...

This is my 1/2 cent take it for what it is worth.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

I believe that I'd use surprise as my advantage before the BG becomes aware of me and do my best to take him out quickly. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he shot the clerk just because he wasn't moving fast enough or complying with his demands. Every video recording I've ever seen of these types of robberies shows these BG's as violent, edgy to the max and willing to hurt someone if everything doesn't go down as quickly as they want. And sometimes they don't want witnesses. And even if I waited until the BG started his exit and then saw me, I'd be so pumped that if he just turned to look at me I'd probably nail him not wanting to be beaten to the draw.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Eric,
    The way that you have it drawn, I would draw my weapon and ready myself as much as possible to shoot. Other factors including shelf height, ability to see through the shelves, and what was on the shelves (to provide cover, is it boxes of Wheaties or #50 bags of sand), others in the store and their positions. If he seemed in ANY way to be going to shoot anyone, it's time to end his threat! If he turned to leave (w/o shooting clerk) it's time to loudly tell him to drop his gun and if he didn't do it right then, I'd shoot him dead.. WHY? because as drawn he'd pass across MY only escape route, see that my weapon was out and most likely try to shoot me at that point.. If I can help it, that ISN'T going to happen. They may or may not try to burn me in court, but at least I'd be alive to try to defend myself!!

Talking "Clean-up in Aisle 1"

I'd seek cover (and concealment)...if it wasn't available, I'd stand ready to call for a "Clean-up in aisle 1".

But only if I perceived that the perp was going for me...if he's heading for the door at full speed I'd call the police on my cell phone (almost as important as my gun) and give them the details. Not the police and not a hero unless I need to be.

Assistant Administrator
    Coyotes - I too would like to use cell but - the one thing that could make this totally impracticable is sound - either the phone might beep dialing or you may have to speak loud enough to be heard - all that may be possible is get connected to 911 and leave line open.

To speak and describe scene could give away your position plus - you would not be as prepared should things go south in a hurry. Fine in principle but - just wondering about the practicalities!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I believe that I'd use surprise as my advantage before the BG becomes aware of me and do my best to take him out quickly.
    I agree with exposurecontrol, use surprise to take the BG out and end the situation. He is a threat to the clerk and me, and shouting a warning gives him too much of an advantage.

Shoot from cover if possible, or shoot very quickly from the corner of the aisle if not. Either way, the threat will be neutralized and quickly.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links