Car thief

This is a discussion on Car thief within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I was thinking the other day and came up with this scenario. (Can happen anywhere) Your walking out to your car, be it at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car thief

Car thief

Ok I was thinking the other day and came up with this scenario.

(Can happen anywhere)
    Your walking out to your car, be it at a store or out front of your home doesn't matter where, as you walk up you see someone trying to break into your car. You take a couple more steps and yell at the guy to get away from your car. Suspect turns around and pulls a knife. Your maybe 20 feet from the suspect do you shoot?

My only thoughts were that it may get blurry on a SD shooting as you "technically" approached him by you ordering him to get away from your car instead of retreating and calling 911.

Any thoughts?
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

2. Remove Ads

If I'm walking up to my vehicle (a place I have a legal right to be) and I yell at someone around, getting into, trying to get into, getting out of, or even in my car and that individual turns and runs, I'm quickly calling 911.
    IF that individual pulls a knife out and heads towards me, the scenario has changed dramatically. I now fear for my life and within 21'...the person with the knife has just entered a gunfight using a knife.

Stay armed...understand your state's castle doctrine (if it has one)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    BANG BANG BANG...nuff said.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Kinda figured. Maine has no need to retreat just wasn't sure if the act of yelling at him would some how be construed as acting as the aggressor.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Under normal circumstances:

I would not yell at someone breaking into my car. If the situation were unclear, I might ask what they were doing. If it is obvious they are trying to break in, call 911 and retreat. The law in my state does not allow me to use deadly force to defend property, and your actions could easily be construed in that manner.

Your car is not worth spending the next 10-20 years in jail over.

If even after backing off the guy sees me and comes at me with a weapon, I will do what is necessary to ensure my survival.

On the other hand, if you are in Texas and it is after dark, draw and order the guy to the ground...gotta love the law in Texas
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    What you is going to depend on where you are, the state laws that are in place. As GWRedDragon stated, here in VA deadly force is not a legal option for defending property. However once the BG pulls a knife and advances on you the ballgame changes, you are no longer protecting property, you are defending your life. You will have to convince the DA that you acted in self defense.

BG with Knife in your 21' safety zone, shoot while retreating, this guy can kill you so easily it is not remotely funny....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Under normal circumstances:

I would not yell at someone breaking into my car. If the situation were unclear, I might ask what they were doing. If it is obvious they are trying to break in, call 911 and retreat. The law in my state does not allow me to use deadly force to defend property, and your actions could easily be construed in that manner.

Your car is not worth spending the next 10-20 years in jail over.

If even after backing off the guy sees me and comes at me with a weapon, I will do what is necessary to ensure my survival.

On the other hand, if you are in Texas and it is after dark, draw and order the guy to the ground...gotta love the law in Texas
    In real life it would play out like this. YOU "Officer I walked up to my car and surprised a bad guy. He turned around and threatened me with a knife. I was afraid for my life so I shot him."

Officer " So he had a knife and he threatened you? " YOU "Yes. I was very scared. I think I would like some medical attention, I'm not feeling well. I would like to speak to a lawyer if there are anymore questions."

There is not a jury this side of Saturn that would convict you if ever there was a prosecutor stupid enough to file charges. This is a classic self defense shooting. You weren't shooting to defend your car, you were shooting at a bad guy near your car threatening you with a knife.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Do you believe that he can and will kill you? *Double Tap*
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The law in my state says i can use force to protect property. I can yell at him. It states i can use deadly force to protect myself from death or bodily harm. If he pulls a knife he is a idiot.
    Last edited by highoctane; June 15th, 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    Your walking out to your car ... Suspect turns around and pulls a knife. Your maybe 20 feet from the suspect do you shoot?
    Doesn't matter if it's the Avon Lady and she's blown a gasket. If a criminal decides to engage in an illegal violent attack upon another, then a person is absolutely justified in defending against that ... with lethal force if need be. Every day of the week.

Doesn't matter how many steps it was to the car. Doesn't matter that it was Tuesday, or that the criminal came from a "broken home." Doesn't matter that the criminal preceded this violent crime with one or five others, before I got there. Nothing matters but two things: the criminal is threatening me with violence; and, I didn't provoke or earn those actions. At that moment I know I'm legally justified in defending against the violence being directed at me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Duty to retreat"??? What is this concept ? It's foreign to me... could you explain please?

Upon catching someone messing with your car, I think yelling at them to get away would be a natural response for just about anybody. Man or womanm, Armed or unarmed. Especially if you both surprised each other. If he pulled a knife at that point I would likely draw and take a step or two back. I'm not going to turn and run because I don't want to turn my back to someone with a weapon. If he takes a step toward me, I'll likely shoot. Under those circumstances, I think very few DA's would charge me and even fewer juries would convict me.

However, if I looked out my window at my car parked 100 yards down the street, saw the BG, grabbed my gun, headed out the door, snuck to within 10 feet of him, yelled at him and then did what I stated above, I might have more legal troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    However, if I looked out my window at my car parked 100 yards down the street, saw the BG, grabbed my gun, headed out the door, snuck to within 10 feet of him, yelled at him and then did what I stated above, I might have more legal troubles.
    Only if you offered that information to the Police.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The thing here is not if you can defend property, the main thing is property becomes mute when the knife comes out. Within 20 feet, you life IS in danger.
    Now you are defending yourself, doesn't matter that what he was doing as you approached your vehicle. I would think even in any state where self defense is legal, that is all that you are doing here, you just have to be fearful of your life being taken. I second the statement made by atctimmy

In real life it would play out like this. YOU "Officer I walked up to my car and surprised a bad guy. He turned around and threatened me with a knife. I was afraid for my life so I shot him."

Officer " So he had a knife and he threatened you? " YOU "Yes. I was very scared. I think I would like some medical attention, I'm not feeling well. I would like to speak to a lawyer if there are anymore questions."
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links