I ALWAYS enter hotel room gun drawn, do you? Think about this...

This is a discussion on I ALWAYS enter hotel room gun drawn, do you? Think about this... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is why I do... A number of years ago a friend of mine was in Milwaukee for a business conference and when he checked ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Here is why I do...

A number of years ago a friend of mine was in Milwaukee for a business conference and when he checked into his hotel room there was another man already in the room!

Long story short, the man was high, tied up my friend Jeremy, put him in the tub with water running and stole his money, shoes and coat. Thankfully the man was one lousy boy scout and Jer was VERY easily able to get loose (phone cord...stretchy part...yeah, the guy was high). They caught the guy a few days later wearing Jer's coat and shoes...

I know the neat security "keys" that hotels use are nifty and all but it would just be to easy for someone to gain access to your room prior to you!

Someday I may scare the crap out of a maid or something but I go in with gun drawn (unholster as soon as I enter room while family (if with) wait in hall.

I don't want to sound paranoid but I feel it is easy to do this extra step of safety.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Don't blame you at all, Pretty smart actually. If that had happened to my friend you bet your bottom dollar i would be the same way you are. I will def. think twice when entering a hotel room again, thanks for the thread...well done. Keep you and your family safe.

I'd hate to turn a corner in those itty bitty hallways and bump into a maid. Gun drawn, one in the chamber, safety off. Sounds like you might be adding to the risks of AD.

IMO, keep it on you. If you find a non-maid in there, draw.

I like the family waiting in the hall part, although I'd bet they don't.
    Crime should be outlawed.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I stay in hotels on average 10 times a month; I have never even contemplated this level of paranoia. Aviod flee bag motels, stay in decent hotels, and don't worry about it. By this rational the same thing could be true in many situations like: the rest room at Chili's but, I dont feel the need to make a SWAT move when I need to relieve myself.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Have traveled all my life, and still do. It frankly never entered my mind that someone would wait in the room to catch me as I enter.

I'm with the poster who said keep it on you and be prepared. Drawing before you enter the room could in a rare set of circumstances get you in a different kind of trouble than the kind you are concerned with.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    No way. That's just asking for someone to call the police, and have THEM clear YOUR room if spotted.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member
    It ain't happening with me. What happens when you walk in, gun drawn, maybe a window shade open and some person walking by sees in---Not good

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

JD
    Administrator
    Absolutely not...

Why the hell did your friend go into the room if there was some dude in there?

*opens door, dude WTH?*

*Opps sorry, wrong room*

VIP Member
    I stayed at a hotel in PA a few weeks back and when I came back to the room 3 hours later. The Do not disturb sign was gone off the handle. I opened the door slowly and the light was on. Do not disturb on floor hand on pistol walked in slowly. Regular room with bathroom to My left in side the door. Looked in mirror to see in tub and behind door. Took 3 steps with door held open to see the rest of the room.
    No one there checked My stuff. Just bag with clothes. All important suff goes with Me not in hotel room.
    I went and spoke with the Girl at the front desk. She said there was a water problem. I showered before I went out and the shower curtain had been moved. (maybe it leaked down). I told Her it would have been nice if I was left know when I came into the lobby. I also stopped on My way in and spoke with the 2 girls behind the desk.

Nope, sounds like a bad idea. I do certainly look around my room before "settling" in, and gun on hip ready to go - but never drawn.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

VIP Member
    I personally wouldn't have my weapon drawn, but gun hand free.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I always make the bellboy go in first, turn on the lights, and set our luggage in the closet. That way, I KNOW the room is clear.

There was a rash of armed robberies in a very touristy area of Central FL right before we moved away. People waiting with the lights off for unsuspecting tourists in their hotel rooms.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

No. Never considered this. I am very particular about the hotels and motels I choose to stay in. I'm willing to pay more for my lodging in order to stay in safe, clean places. If I felt the need to enter my room with gun drawn I wouldn't stay there.

First rule of motels, stay out of the one's that rent by the hour.

That said, I do not think I'd be drawing my gun as I enter a room. My strong side hand is always free...I enter slowly and look around. I've never had a problem so far.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Nope, once I toss the flashbang in first I figure I have the upper hand , no need for the gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links