Realistic Self-Defense for Kids

This is a discussion on Realistic Self-Defense for Kids within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I was reading one of the gun magazines and there was an article on self-defense techniques for kids. In the article there was a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Self-Defense for Kids

Recently I was reading one of the gun magazines and there was an article on self-defense techniques for kids. In the article there was a set of progression pictures showing a kid around 9 or so defending against his much larger older teenage brother. The pictures looked like an old Ju Jitsu text with lots of wrist grabbing and sidestepping. The last picture showed the victim with the attacker’s arms crossed in front of him and suggested that he was now in a position to through his attacker.

It is one thing when information is passed onto to adults that may be should be able to make intelligent decisions on their own, but when it comes to kids I have to throw the BS flag on the field. As Judo player myself and having two kids with a Judo background, I know that it takes it can take a few weeks to teach even the brightest kid to throw another kid his size, much less an adult.

My son was about seven and had been taking Judo for about a year when one day he informed me that if someone tried to grab him he would just use Judo. Needless to say we had a long talk.

Kids are much smarter than we give them credit for. In my experience as a father and teaching kids I think around four is a good time to start working with them on physical skills. My favorite to teach the little ones is the art of biting. In my opinion it is the only thing a little kid has against and adult. It is both natural and intuitive. Here is how to do it-

Get a bath towel and wrap it around your arm, secure both ends with duct tape.

Pull on the child and instruct them to pull a bit before turning into you biting your forearm. Even through the towel it will hurt you, you can use a thicker towel. The good thing is that this will give both you and the child confidence in the defense. As you yell or let go encourage them to run away.

The little girl in the picture is my seven-year-old Emilie, she is special needs and on a four year old level. She was able to comprehend the drill and follow directions within a few minutes allowing us to take the pictures.

Let them know to bite all targets of opportunity as hard as they can to get away. I don’t want to teach my kids to “fight” an attacker. I want them to know how to fight and get away as fast as possible like a cat fights when it does not want to be picked up.

Depending on the child I have found that around 7-8 you can start teaching strikes and kicks as well as improvised weapons like pens and pencils. Don’t teach them anything that encourages them to hold onto their attacker. The idea is to use massive pain as a tool to escape.

I know some people who would think you are NUTS to be training your kids to bite your padded arm like a dog. However, I entirely, 100% agree with you. My little brother (7) is really fit and strong for his age / size, and works out everyday, in addition to the MMA training he receives from his older brothers. Even so, he obviously would not stand a chance using punches, kicks and throws against an adult or teen. Biting may be the best bet.

You are a smart dad and obviously love your children because you are preparing them for a 'cruel world'...anything and everything to stay alive.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You are a smart dad and obviously love your children because you are preparing them for a 'cruel world'...anything and everything to stay alive.
    What he said.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    My two almost three year old grandson must be ahead of the curve. If you grab him and try to hold him against his wishes he bites whatever is within range of his mouth.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    As always Mercop brings a very practical take on things to the table. His IET concept is the best thing for non knife fighters to learn to use the blade in a combative role!

Along the same lines, albeit from another source, is a system that introduces the concept of bully prevention, kidnapping etc through age appropriate activities. I have seen the program in action and for an "all inclusive" intro to SD and martial arts it seems to have a great deal to offer.

Bully Prevention, Child Safety, Delaware - Kidini Home Page
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Thanks guys, if we fail to protect our children why bother with any protection for ourselves. As for me, I live for my kids.- George

Awesome post and tips. My TKD instructors hold a woman's self defense class, I may discuss starting a more in depth kids self defense class as well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My parents sent me to a class like this when I was around 8 or so. They taught us to bite, scratch at a person's face, stamp on their toes, and SCREAM AS LOUD AS WE COULD THE WHOLE TIME. A child is very limited in his/her options but a biting, scratching child screaming bloody murder will hopefully cause an attacker to hesitate long enough for the kid to run or for help to come.

All this while yelling. " I dont know you! You are a stranger" over and over until somebody else helps out.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1

After they get good at it, how do you keep them from biting their little brother?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I beat their a$$. I teach them to yell "you are not my Mommy/Daddy, don't touch me"- George

This is good stuff. Thanks folks.
    I have to get this to my son, ASAP. My Grandgirls would bring alot of attitude to the right training.

Golf claps to you Mercop on this subject.

- Janq is a dad too
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Good Post
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links