It's Bug out time/ how much ammo

This is a discussion on It's Bug out time/ how much ammo within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Theoretically lets say it's the regretted day we need to bug out with our loved one (s) to find a safer place and make definiete ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Bug out time/ how much ammo

It's Bug out time/ how much ammo

Theoretically lets say it's the regretted day we need to bug out with our loved one (s) to find a safer place and make definiete preparations
    are bug out bags are all filled with what each of us considers what we feel fills all our needs,we have all the essentials freeze dried foods,water,money etc. how much ammo is feesable to take for each weapon?I know some of you guys have alot of guns I cant imagine you'sd take em all wouldnt have the room!!!I'd take mySig P6 for my wife ,Springfield .45 for me ,Taurus .38 my BUG,Ruger 10/22 great survival gun, Colt AR HB and maybe a 12 ga shot gun but trying to figure out how much ammo I should allocate for each weapon,with out over doing it and having the rear axle bust on the vehicle ! whats everyone elses thoughts?Try to be reasonable you can't be tooting 1,000,000ds thru the woods some where

2. Remove Ads

I suppose the question should be how much can your safely carry in your chosen "escape" vehicle. I have a 1986 Ford F-250 with the heavy duty "tow package". I have a camper cap on the back so I'm bringing as much as I can carry at that time.

I'm still scouting locations where I can "bug out" to here in the Las Vegas area. Based upon the time & season of the year I'll decide the ideal place to relocate. In summer retreating to a higher altitude makes sense. If the SHTF in winter I have better options. But this is slightly off topic.

As to how much I bring will be as much as I can reasonably carry at that time. I also have to keep in mind that I have to "collect" my younger brother and elderly Mom if I can convince them of the dire circumstances at the time. I haven't even asked them about how they feel about bugging out in case of a worst case scenario.

As to how much, it will depend on how much cargo I'll have to put in the back of my pickup truck. Another consideration I have is my two "babies!" I have two cats that I have no intention of leaving behind whatsoever. I'm bringing both my kitties with me until the situation improves, if it all!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

This is a topic of discussion that always gets me thinking about...where does one think he/she is going to 'bug out' TO?

Short of a chem/bio/nuke scenario within range of my home, I'm staying put because everything I need is right here (including neighbors who would form a 'team').

God forbid that the entire State of Florida had to leave because of a nuke...good luck on the expressway and on getting gas...take a tent to sleep on the side of the road.

If that happened, it would make Katrina look like line at an icecream truck.

In the case of an all out panic, just have your sidearm(s) in the same large caliber, a shottie, and a couple of boxes of ammo for 'effect'...you're never going to stand off millions of people looking for food or weapons for long...good luck with the gridlock.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

SHTF Scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is a topic of discussion that always gets me thinking about...where does one think he/she is going to 'bug out' TO?

Short of a chem/bio/nuke scenario within range of my home, I'm staying put because everything I need is right here (including neighbors who would form a 'team').

God forbid that the entire State of Florida had to leave because of a nuke...good luck on the expressway and on getting gas...take a tent to sleep on the side of the road.

In the case of an all out panic, just have your sidearm(s) in the same large caliber, a shottie, and a couple of boxes of ammo for 'effect'...you're never going to stand off millions of people looking for food or weapons for long...good luck with the gridlock.
    This does bring up an entire whole group of scenarios. I'm former military so I was in Europe for the bulk of my time in the USAF. We were drilled on all areas of NBC (Nuclear, Biologic and Chemical) scenarios. I'm just working on the scenario that I want to keep my immediate family safe.

My Mom, God bless her soul, is anti-gun. But in the event that the local authorities were to recommend that we stay safe in our homes in this time of social "unrest", I'm certain she would try to keep my immediate family safe. My Mom lives in an upscale gated community that is not in prime areas of the Las Vegas area. I'm sure she would appreciate having her 2 local sons there to keep her secure until the local officials recommended that an evacuation would be in order. If it were contingent on keeping our immediate family and my guns in her condo, she might prefer it that way. I hope so anyway!!!

But, I'm hoping that it NEVER comes down to an overall evacuation of the immediate area. I'm not really sure as to how my immediate family would appreciate the effort I have put into their safety in worst case scenarios.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Personally i look at a Bug out as more of a weather event or natural disaster event.

Anything else ( Nuke-attack, Bio-attack,terror-attack riots, invasion) I'm better off right here at home.

If it's a weather event, I'll take my Glock-22 w/ a couple thousand rounds, my 30-30 w/a couple hundred rounds and shotty w/a couple hundred rounds of deer and bird shot. But mostly my main concern would be food and water.

I have 4 pre-planned destinations depending on whats happening. but thats just me. YMMV
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I've wondered that too. Are you heading to the hills? What are you planning to do with the people that are already here in the hills and prepared to stay?

I've seen a bunch of these threads where people say that they won't help those that are unprepared because they don't have enough supplies for everyone. I understand and for the most part agree with that. But what do these same people plan on doing with those they meet that already live where they are heading? Do you try to barter your way in? Do you "do whatever it takes" to help your own family, up to and including murder of the current residents? Do you move on and try to find another place? What if you can't find a place? Let's face it, there isn't a whole lot of this country that isn't already owned by someone.

I ask this because I already live in the hills that a lot of people will be heading to.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Morintp, we're all coming to stay with you! Hope you have room :)

I agree with Bug Out in a weather situation, we have 72 hour emergency kits and important documents secured to just throw a box in the car and high-tail it. I only have the Sig 239 in 9mm and the range plinker, but I'd bring both and about 500 rds for each, which is all I can seem to be able to purchase lately :(

We live near enough to a nuke plant that if something went south, we'd be pretty much moofed. So other than weather or nuke, I'm thinking we'd stay at home.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

If it's weather related, I bug out (to San Antonio with my elderly mom). If it's anything else, I would take the kids and go to my ex-husband's house 5 minutes away, with as much water and food, guns and ammo, and misc supplies as we can take. I've got about 1500 rds of 9mm, and a couple hundred of .40 cal, and all would come with me.

That reminds me -- I haven't ammo shopped for months. I hope it's better now.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

WE took to the road when ____ hurricane was on the way. We took both veicals & all my guns (17) & ammo,dog & cats. Went to Inlaws 20 miles away good built home. As far as nucs could'nt tell.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Last June and July, we had major fires in Northern Cal. The worst of the fires were in my community (Gov. Arnold gave us highest priority in firefighting resources) and our community had to evacuate TWICE. Wife packed the photo albums and other irreplaceables, I packed the firearms and ammo. Let's see long rifle--100 rds, shotty--mixed (slug, buckshot, bird), pistol--300 rds.

One thing to remember in a bugout sitution, is that you may very well run out of gas and be forced to abandon your vehicle (Remember all those folks who ran out of gas evacauting from Katrina and Rita in 2006?) so you have to balance a reasonable amount of ammo with the consideration of how long you may be away from your home. If there's no ammo in the stores now, what will it look like in times of unrest?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

My sister has a small ranch/farm in Northern California. She said that come the zombie apocalypse, my family can come stay at her place. How we are going to get there from Virginia is a whole other question. Even if I had a private plane in my hip pocket, we would need to stop for aviation fuel. Good luck on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post

That reminds me -- I haven't ammo shopped for months. I hope it's better now.
    It's not. At least in my part of TX.

Almost all SHTF / bug-out plans are a waste of time. However, to state I'll just hold up where I am, or stating it does not matter because you will already be dead, sort of misses the point of the exercise.

Weather related events require simpler planning, because in theory, you plan on returning. So you will maybe take 50 - 100 rounds or so, IMO.

Now, for the situation where you have to bug out, and if you want any chance to make it you have to go fast, the SHTF, and society will not be the same for a while, here are my thoughts on ammo:

CARRY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Overall it is easy to store, can be very useful, I've never known it to lose value, and would be a great item to have on hand for trade, if nothing else.

One plan will not do the trick.

On person. I’m assuming I will be carrying my Glocks (G31 & G33). The G31 magazines will work in the G33. So I’ll have 16 rounds in the G31, 11 rounds in my G31, and two extra magazines (15 rounds each). That is 56 rounds of .357 Sig on me.

Back-pack. Here is where things get hard. Right now I’m assuming 200 rounds of .22 LR (as I would put my Advantage Arms conversion for the G31 in my back-pack). Then I’m going to go with a 30.06 on a sling. There is a lot to be said about a .22 LR rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun, but I’ve decided you can only carry so many firearms. I can convert the Glock to a .22 LR for small game hunting. If I have others with me, for example, my wife, she could carry the shotgun if I took a 30.06. Though not my favorite 30.06, I’ll go with my semi-auto. I have three magazines for it, so I’ll have around 12 rounds of 30.06. I think I would also pack at least an additional 50 rounds of .357 Sig. I’m a little disappointed I can’t carry more, but considering all the other supplies that I will need to carry, I’m guessing this is my limit.

Load-up the truck. I don’t own a lot of firearms compared to others, but at this final step, I simply bring everything I can. At the very least 3 or so additional rifles, and at a minimum 600 various rounds in two dry-storage ammo boxes. Thats just the minimum. In reality, I would pack every round and shell I own.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

JT
    How much ammo? As much as your tactical wheel barrel will hold, of course.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just wanted to mention, I've always wanted a 44 Mag revolver and 44 Mag level carbine for that SHTF situation (then a .22 pistol for small game). 44 Mag is a good enough round no matter how many legs for most places I would be headed to. Make ammo planning a little easier, and many of the places I would head (family) I could reload 44 Mag rounds.

While the SHTF is ok to plan for, I don't believe I can make it my priority in contrast to other more realistic concerns (like CC). So I've put the carbine and revolver on hold till the econ gets a little better. While the 44 Mags would be nice, and I might use for hunting, I already own 30.06s and a 12 gauge. In addition, what I own is most likely more effective for what I hunt (deer / turkey).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links