What Was I Thinking!

This is a discussion on What Was I Thinking! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The debate going on in another thread here made me stop and take a look at my own actions and reactions of late. Here is ...

Thread: What Was I Thinking!

Sponsor

What Was I Thinking!

The debate going on in another thread here made me stop and take a look at my own actions and reactions of late.

Here is the specific incident that made me think...

It's 10:30pm and I am traveling to work, unarmed(postal employee) on my motor cycle in a drenching downpour. I'm a little late so instead of stopping at my usual sandwich shop to pick up lunch I decided to hit the quicky mart down the street from the PO for a frozen burrito or some such junk food. This is not the best neighborhood.

As I pull into the parking lot I see 3 young men smoking-and-joking under the overhang in front of the store. All are wearing the typical urban gangsta garb and fit the stereotypical picture of urban thugs. The largest, though not the meanest looking guy gives me what at the time felt like a predatory stare then ducked his head in the door to talk to an unseen other. He then crossed his arms over his chest and locked eyes with me. I put my helmet back on, started the bike and left without getting lunch.

In retrospect the guy was probably trying to figure out what kind of moron would choose to ride a bike in that weather and simply called for a buddy to "Come see this idiot!"

The question that I posed to self, and am having a hard time answering is this:

Would I have gone into the store if I had been carrying my sidearm?

The obvious answer is No Way! Stay out of bad situations!

But I have to be honest and say that I may have told myself that I could handle any threat and took my chances.

This has really given me some food for thought.
    Have I become over confident? Am I unconsciously taking risks that I normally would not?

The fact that I actually said to myself "Damn, what a time to be unarmed!" cast some doubt as to my head space at the time.

Thoughts, comments and flaming welcome!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

No flaming here, I have had that same dilemma going on in my head several times. I'll let you know if I ever find a good answer.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    The debate going on in another thread here made me stop and take a look at my own actions and reactions of late.

Here is the specific incident that made me think...

It's 10:30pm and I am traveling to work, unarmed(postal employee) on my motor cycle in a drenching downpour. I'm a little late so instead of stopping at my usual sandwich shop to pick up lunch I decided to hit the quicky mart down the street from the PO for a frozen burrito or some such junk food. This is not the best neighborhood.

As I pull into the parking lot I see 3 young men smoking-and-joking under the overhang in front of the store. All are wearing the typical urban gangsta garb and fit the stereotypical picture of urban thugs. The largest, though not the meanest looking guy gives me what at the time felt like a predatory stare then ducked his head in the door to talk to an unseen other. He then crossed his arms over his chest and locked eyes with me. I put my helmet back on, started the bike and left without getting lunch.

In retrospect the guy was probably trying to figure out what kind of moron would choose to ride a bike in that weather and simply called for a buddy to "Come see this idiot!"

The question that I posed to self, and am having a hard time answering is this:

Would I have gone into the store if I had been carrying my sidearm?

The obvious answer is No Way! Stay out of bad situations!

But I have to be honest and say that I may have told myself that I could handle any threat and took my chances.

This has really given me some food for thought.
    Have I become over confident? Am I unconsciously taking risks that I normally would not?

The fact that I actually said to myself "Damn, what a time to be unarmed!" cast some doubt as to my head space at the time.

Thoughts, comments and flaming welcome!
    No flaming here.

Carrying a gun is an awesome responsibility and I feel that one should be mindful of that.

I've carried a gun for over twenty years. Some as a LEO and some as a CCW Permit holder. I don't claim to have all the answers, nor do I pretend I do. I just have what I have learned, seen and expirienced to draw from, and yes, it factors in to my judgement. How can it not?

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Every once in a while we all need to ask ourselves questions like that. We need to re-evaluate our decision making processes. Most of us have made up our minds about what we will do in certain situations, but things never happen the way we think they will.

You did the right thing. Good job!

Thanks for sharing.

Avoidance is ALWAYS cheaper than drawing or using, and less likely to get you hurt or killed.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

No flaming here. You did great.

As Dirty Harry put it

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Sounds like you did the right thing in leaving. This has made you think about your carrying habbits, also a good thing. Carry safe.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Good job.

Links