Close call at WallyWorld tonight.

This is a discussion on Close call at WallyWorld tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mom's car is down and she need to get some stuff for tomorrow, so I told her I'd drive her to WalMart, plus, then ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close call at WallyWorld tonight.

Close call at WallyWorld tonight.

My mom's car is down and she need to get some stuff for tomorrow, so I told her I'd drive her to WalMart, plus, then I can wander around and look for stuff. When we arrive, there is still plenty of day light and we end up parking two spots away from the door.

She got out a lot quicker than me and went and stood at the rear passenger corner of my car, facing my direction (her back to the lot). I turn off the car, close the windows, grab my phone and exit. I walk to the rear driver corner of my car. I put my phone in my right pocket and lock my doors. I'm facing the opposite direction my mom, with my concealed 1911 (on my 3 o'clock) away from her.

I look up and see this guy, mid 30s, staring at her and moving very quickly, right at her, about 15-20 feet away. He's walking across the lane of traffic, right at her. There was no mistake who he was looking at. His body was ridged and he had a look on his face like he was mad.

The first thing through my mind was recent abductions in WalMart parking lots. I move my whole body out from behind the car, move towards her, and kind of square off my shoulders towards at him. He stops and looks up at me. I'm looking right into his eyes. He looks at her. I start moving my had up towards my gun as I move forward and he takes off through the lot.

We head to the door and I told my mom she needs to be more aware of her surroundings. I turn around just to see where the guy was and he had approached an old woman (easily in her 80s). This was odd, so I told my mom to alert somebody and I start heading towards them. I'm at least 50ft way and watching him talk to her as I walk. Their body language was telling me they didn't know each other. I stop on the sidewalk, so I don't get run over by a car and watch him. I think I ended up resting my forearm on my Colt (bad habit from my Taser at work) and he looks up at me and takes off to his car and drives away. By this time, two managers had come out and I gave them a good description and told them to call the Police if he comes back.

The thing I keep kicking myself over is not quickly moving towards the old lady. I told myself if he got withing arms length I would go over and see what's going on. Anything else you guys think I could have done differently?

2. Remove Ads

Sounds fine to me. You did exactly as you should have.

Even if you don't run over to the old lady, a shout, "Hey! is he bothering you?!" might have been a good idea.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    Even if you don't run over to the old lady, a shout, "Hey! is he bothering you?!" might have been a good idea.
    Yeah, that exact wordage ran through my head.

You did good...I remember a few months back when I was unarmed and didn't even own a gun, I was at the Walmart Supercenter in Federal Way when I saw a guy take a crow bar and break a car window and rob the items from a parked car. No one did a thing. I called 911 but the cops showed up too late. The guy didn't seem to mind the people around.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

You did fine...

This is the classic case of being a good witness, calling 911 and giving them a description of a suspicious person. Chances are this guy is known to the local LEOs (or at least should be, by now).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sounds like it was a good thing you were there.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Just another example of how the world can be made better buy responsible, armed citizens. Kudos.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    Sounds like it was a good thing you were there.
    +1. Sounds like you did a great job avoiding something potentially bad.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Excellent job.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Congrats! for being so alert, you probably saved a couple of older folks from bad incidents.
    Nice work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good job.

On a rant...

I am amazed at the skells and criminals that come out of the woodwork and frequent WM and how many of you continue to frequent this dump.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Good job.

On a rant...

I am amazed at the skells and criminals that come out of the woodwork and frequent WM and how many of you continue to frequent this dump.
    BG are everywhere people are, and personally I am not going to avoid someplace just because in another city there was a crime at a WM. Now if my local.....one of 6 WM starts having crime then I will avoid it. Although I've been doing this for years considering one is in the roughest part of town, and alot of BGs know what I look like.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

There are a lot of bums working the parking lots with the I just ran out of gas and I need food please help me routine, and they spot marks and make a beeline for them. Of course it could be something worse, too.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i don't know i would have done anything differently. most people would not have even cared about that lady...good job
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links