Would a car jacker really shoot you?

This is a discussion on Would a car jacker really shoot you? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say you are at a stop light. Light is red, you are stopped, but there is no cross traffic. Someone comes up to you, points ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would a car jacker really shoot you?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Would a car jacker really shoot you?

Say you are at a stop light. Light is red, you are stopped, but there is no cross traffic. Someone comes up to you, points a gun at you and tells you to get out of the car. Instead of getting out of the car, you duck down, floor the accelerator and drive away.

Question is, do you think the car jacker would open fire on you?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Some would, some would not. How lucky do you feel?
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    Maybe, I guess checking the news archives for your city might tell you something.

Everybody is different. Some might, some might not. Just no other way to really answer this question that I can think of. Does anyone know if any kind of stats have ever been collected on armed carjackings that would give percentages of shoot versus no shoot?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

When you hear the "bang", then you'll know for sure. Anything else is just a guess.

By cutting and pasting your post, and removing some words, I can answer this.

Say.....Someone....points a gun at you

you.......open fire
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    By cutting and pasting your post, and removing some words, I can answer this.

Say.....Someone....points a gun at you

you.......open fire
    That's an interesting dilemma. He's already got the drop on you so would it make sense to drop down and floor it or reach for your gun. If there was a car in front of you, obviously flooring it is not an option. If your gun is in the glove box, you are probably going to be shot before you get to it. I'm sure it will depend on the situation as it unfolds.

The second you move he will assume you are trying to do something that suddenly is threatening to him (whether that is his life is probably not true; more like, you're going to tell someone and he will then be caught), and most likely he will fire.

People who do stuff like aren't first-timers; they've been in the "justice" segment of society before, and most don't want to go back.

Eventually, with such a sticky situation like this, it comes down to his reaction time. Can you draw in time? Should you have seen him coming and pre-drawn, but kept concealed? etc etc.

I think that seeing the person as they were approaching and simply driving away would be the best solution (even though you would be running the red light). Failing that, I still would advocate driving away, versus drawing and shooting. However, every situation will be different.

In at least one victims case the answer is; "Yeah".

UPDATE: Wounded Carjacking Victim To Survive

Posted: 10:06 AM Jun 16, 2009
    Last Updated: 2:22 PM Jun 16, 2009
    Reporter: WOWT
    Email Address: sixonline@wowt.com

A Channel 6 News First Response Team at the scene of Omaha's latest carjacking reports a man shot this morning is expected to survive his injuries. The man's name has not been released but officers on the scene confirm the man was wounded in the torso.

Investigators say the carjacking happened at Nicholas Street and Mercer Park Blvd shortly before 8:30 Tuesday morning. Police are looking for four suspects and three vehicles.

One of those vehicles is a red, 1994 Ford Expedition which the victim was driving.

The other two vehicles driven by the suspects are a green or teal Chevy Tahoe or Suburban and a gold Chevy Lumina.

The wounded man went to a home on Hawthorne Ave. and asked for help.

Laura Basile heard the shots and called 911 "heard a couple shots and I wasn't sure that's what they were so I looked out the window and saw a guy, looked like a guy was running across 38th street"

Basile says she saw the man then standing in her neighbor's lawn. "So I yelled out the window, are you hurt and he said yeah, please call 911"

Luke Tipler also heard the shots. "I looked out in the neighbors back yard and they were huddled over somebody, went out and looked at it and they said a guy got shot and jumped over their fence. The next think you know, the whole neighborhood is taped off."

Meanwhile police are searching for the suspects. "We have no information as to which way, where the suspects could be. We know the two suspects' vehicles took off southbound. We have now idea where they are at right now," says Sgt. Jeff Chubb.

At mid-morning Tuesday, a number of police officers were still on the scene collecting evidence and interviewing possible witnesses.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 444-7867.

The story with video report can be found at; UPDATE: Wounded Carjacking Victim To Survive
    Where I come from and in my world the safest and most general assumption is to figure on yes, the carjacker will shoot from contact time stamp 0:01 and forward through actually getting into your car and driving away with it.
    There have been many news stories of just this, the victim giving up their car willingly only to still be shot by the carjacker simply because they the carjacker felt like doing so.

So like the question will rabid dogs bite?
    The answer to that is same as this. Not every time but often enough on the whole that only a fool or the ignorant would assume otherwise.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Always assume...YES! React accordingly...it may be you last act on this earth.
    The way I see it, someone approaching my vehicle at night is...probably going to be noticed by me (I watch everything)...I always try to see the rear tires of the car in front of me (this means I have room to go around)...at night, in a mysterious place, my gun is already out.
    What ever happens, happens...

Stay armed...get training, practice, stay alert, assume the worst, have a plan...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Say you are at a stop light. Light is red, you are stopped, but there is no cross traffic. Someone comes up to you, points a gun at you and tells you to get out of the car. Instead of getting out of the car, you duck down, floor the accelerator and drive away.

1. I have to assume that anyone who points a gun at me, potentially will use it.

2. There have been a lot of cases where car jackers have walked up, shot the driver, and taken the car..... without any discussion at all about it.

Well.....the said carjacker pointed a gun at ya. I would only assume he would.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Read my story and that will answer your question..

Kind Regards.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I think a "seasoned" gangbanger would. He's already past the first victim and stats show the repeat offenders have less and less regard to human life with the passing of each victim. They are more emboldened with each crime. I've gotten to the point of having my head on a swivel any time I'm stopped in traffic and my .45 accessible at all times (wedged between the seats - not in the glove box or door pocket or console). My goal is to get to where I'm going alive.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links