Almost drew... yes while OCing...

This is a discussion on Almost drew... yes while OCing... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was coming home today from work. I live in a townhouse which faces the street and I park on the street because I live ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost drew... yes while OCing...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I was coming home today from work. I live in a townhouse which faces the street and I park on the street because I live in town, there is no where else to park. Well I had just come home from work and picking up my son from daycare. I had my gun on, open carry in the car. I always strap it back on when I get out of work.

Anyways, I park and as I always do I checked to make sure no one was coming on either side before I opened the door into the road. I don't need some jack ass taking my door off as I open it, or someone robbing me as I open it. I stepped out of the car and went around to the other side and got my lunch pail and laptop bag off the front seat and set it on the sidewalk inside the door, put the seat forward and then went to go unbuckle my son.

Suddenly (I mean in the manner of 2 seconds the following took place) two kids around the age of 13-14 came down the sidewalk riding on bikes too small for them (you know the gangster types). One split from the side walk on to the street, and he sorta flanked the drivers side door to distract me I guess... and the other came up on the side I was on. At this point my back was facing the side walk and I was kind of burried in the car getting my son out. I noticed the one kid on the other side kind of motioning to someone behind me. There was another kid on his bike on the sidewalk behind me. I didn't see him until he was right up on me. Mind you they were on bikes, so they were quick.

I heard the one in the street say "grab his bag". I went to condition orange instantly, I knew something was going down, but didn't know what right away. I turned quickly and faced my back to the car, I didn't grab my gun, just placed my palm over it as a reaction more than anything to protect it. I didn't need who ever was behind me getting a hold of it... well as I turned, the one kid on my side saw it, ducked back onto his bike and was gone... They both bolted rather quickly after I did that. I mean they were GONE.

As they rode off I saw them looking back multiple times... my heart was thumping, but I think I handled it well. Just a show of how quickly something can go awry... even with your radar on.

Also they didn't grab my bag, and even if they did, I'd prolly just trip his bike and take it back. In this case my open carry scared them off enough not to take it. If he pulled a gun, I would have emptied my mag.... but like I said I didn't know what was going on right away.

RE-EDITED TO CLARIFY A LITTLE MORE
    Last edited by Pro2A; June 23rd, 2009 at 09:53 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Scary! And your little guy was in the car while this was happening? Glad all it took was your putting your hand on the 1911, and it didn't turn into a SHTF situation while Little Pro2A was around!

Kudos on the SA!

Double Kudos on being armed, being prepared, and being ABLE to defend yourself and your family, should anything happen.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    wow...that would get my heart racing. i wonder what legal implications (also any social unrest) that would have risen if you had needed to draw on two kids.

congrats on staying cool and keeping yourself safe.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    wow...that would get my heart racing. i wonder what legal implications (also any social unrest) that would have risen if you had needed to draw on two kids.

congrats on staying cool and keeping yourself safe.
    Meh... if they took my bag I could file a report. I have 10 other computers and my laptop is locked, so it wouldn't be much good to them anyways. Otherwise I'd prolly have stuck my foot out and tripped his bike.

If they placed their hands on me, all bets are off.

jfl
    Disgusting that kids that age are already on the wrong side; where did that happen ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Disgusting that kids that age are already on the wrong side; where did that happen ?
    Chambersburg PA... right outside my house. Kids have no conscience anymore because their parents don't beat their butt's like my parents did to me.

Sad really thats the future of America.

OK, I must be living in fairytale land too long. All this from a 13yr, planning an attack on afull grown adult.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Wow, that's sad. If I didn't have my little one with me I would have tried to follow them home and had a "talk" with their parents.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I'm glad you didn't have to draw.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Little s*** bags! Grr.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    .... I would have tried to follow them home and had a "talk" with their parents.
    I'm thinking that's where they 'learned' it from.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I'm thinking that's where they 'learned' it from.
    That was my thought. I'd probably get yelled at for racial profiling or something

Well, if they are neighborhood kids (little thugs seems more appropriate), won't you spot them again? You've never seen them before?
    I'd still be chatting with the county sheriff's patrol about their tactics.

I'm sure that this wasn't they're first trip to the 'candy store'.

Glad you were alert.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well if they are neighborhood kids, won't you spot them again? You've never seen them before?
    I'd still be chatting with the county sheriff's patrol about their tatics.

I'm sure that this wasn't they're first trip to the 'candy store'.

Glad you were alert.
    Ya can't say I've seen them before. Most of the "kids" that come over on this side of town ride over from the section 8 housing on the other side of town. There is no telling where they live... It's rather aggravating but the town LEO's can't do much about it since I don't know where most of these thugs live and/or come from... All they really do is patrol down in the section 8.

Well I'm glad you didn't have to draw, but I can't say I would feel bad if they would've ended up with a chest full of lead. Hopefully the little idiots have learned something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links