Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc). - Page 2

Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc).

This is a discussion on Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc). within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by EdC When that day comes, I'm hiding behind this guy: Magnus, Robot Fighter - Pop-Cult.Com Wow! I used to love that series ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    When that day comes, I'm hiding behind this guy:

Magnus, Robot Fighter - Pop-Cult.Com
    Wow! I used to love that series when I was a kid.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Will it be common, no, but it will eventually happen.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- John Connor
    Kock Kock.
    (Janq)
    Whos there?

(Voice on the other side)
    The Internet Police , we would like to talk to you about the WMD
    Device you posted on DC.

(Janq)

One week later
    (ASSA9)
    Has anyone heard from Janq lately?
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Kids can build a P90airsoft sentry gun with motion detection. It makes sense that sooner or later this will happen. I suspect any homemade job can be quickly overwhelmed by mulitple responses. A homemade bomb on a RC car is the most likely. There was a film made where there was a police unit that focused on robotic crimes, starring Tom Selick.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Runaway... with Gene Simmons as the bad guy... I remember that one...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Terrorists are, by and large, stupid. Planning is required to create something like this, and planning is what gets bad guys caught.
    So, what did the hijackers use 9-11?

Weapons made by someone else.

Why is NoRK considered a problem?

They sell to those who are too dumb or crooked to make their own weapons.

While a hobbyist can make his own remote control airplane or gun, the control can usually be disrupted with a simple jammer. Military remotes use frequency jumping to get around the jamming, and that sort of equipment is not easy to obtain. Eventually some outfit will start making jam proof remote control, but it will only be available through government or terrorist channels.

Who? At risk of politics, see who is making all the counterfeit electronics. If they can do that, they can make the jam proof radios.

I think we are going to see some radioactive mushroom clouds before we see any of this stuff; Remote control drones and conventional bombs just aren't providing enough "bang for the buck" for these loons now, so they are looking to Iran and N.Korea to provide it for them....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    So, what did the hijackers use 9-11?

Weapons made by someone else.

Why is NoRK considered a problem?

They sell to those who are too dumb or crooked to make their own weapons.

While a hobbyist can make his own remote control airplane or gun, the control can usually be disrupted with a simple jammer. Military remotes use frequency jumping to get around the jamming, and that sort of equipment is not easy to obtain. Eventually some outfit will start making jam proof remote control, but it will only be available through government or terrorist channels.

Who? At risk of politics, see who is making all the counterfeit electronics. If they can do that, they can make the jam proof radios.
    Broad spectrum frequency hopping is 1940s era technology. We're not really talking that difficult here.

Yet it is still 1000x easier to strap a bomb on some kid and send him into a pizza parlor. Terrorists do this all the time. We should worry about real, proven threats rather than things that simply 'sound scary'.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The latest drones are pretty incredible. They can take off, complete a mission, return and land...and don't even need a human being manning any controls at all.
    They do if they plan on employing any ordinance.

Terrorists are, by and large, stupid...
    So are people. Most people. Maybe me, you, and most on this forum. In general, we beat the curve a bit because we are online and we are armed. Intelligence has very little to do with violent crime, the complexity, or the savageness. Neither does the prevention of those crimes.

... We should worry about real, proven threats rather than things that simply 'sound scary'...
    Before 9/11, were planes a proven threat?

I understad your statement, but I can't agree. For example 9/11. In reality, it would have been far more damaging to the U.S. econ if one plane could have taken out the golden gate bridge. Instead they have targets on their hit list. Look into the number of transactions in financial markets indicated specific foreknowledge of the September 11 attacks on the WTC using planes.

Now consider the other targets. The Pentagon and most likely the White House. While our media states how terrorists killed innocent civilians. I'm not saying they did not, in addition I'm not suggesting those innocents who died deserved to be murdered, however there is a flip side to the coin. To the terrorist's target market, it was understood why the WTC, military, and a nation's capital would be attacked.

Consider the images of U.S. missles from the first gulf war. We marveled at out abilities, but in that part of the world, that was the building that someones friend, brother, father, etc. worked in. How does this appear to see media with American's cheering at the footage. Now consider the targets they hit, and watch the footage and reaction in the streets of many middle eastern street's after 9/11. It was like they won a soccer match. To them it was like watching Luke blow up the Death Star.

Now you can see by using planes, there was not only an attack on the world econ. alone, but financial winfall for their backers. A message to be sent not to just Western powers, but also for the jihadists. These are not the acts of the unsoficated or obtuse.

Our heroes, willing to to put their lives on the line 1/2 way round the world, are the villians in their eyes. Just because they send a kid strapped with a bomb into a market is not an indication that future attacks will be simple. Just because they can find people to fly planes into a building without reguard to their life, does not indicate the most effective tools they have, had, or will have is a person willing to give their life. They will continue with what has worked, but far more complex plans are in the works then sucide. This does not mean robots, but consider this.

How many jihadists have been taken out by U.S. drones. Now consider the propaganda advantage of demonstrating they can also attack the heartland of the U.S. with drones.

In addition, this is just one possible criminal attack using remotes / robots. Consider the other possibilities, like the uni-abomber, or just those who want to cause others pain and fear using their abilities and training (like the D.C. sniper).

All bad people, but all make me think sooner or later, it is going to happen, and it is not far fetched.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    In addition, this is just one possible criminal attack using remotes / robots. Consider the other possibilities, like the uni-abomber, or just those who want to cause others pain and fear using their abilities and training (like the D.C. sniper).

All bad people, but all make me think sooner or later, it is going to happen, and it is not far fetched.
    I just think that a lot of this discussion has been unnecessarily sensationalized. Do I think it's possible, for instance, that terrorists could build in remote control to a small aircraft and turn it into a poor man's cruise missile? I've heard that plans to do so were discovered. So sure, it's something I'd be concerned about.

What I'm NOT going to worry about is the scenario of an 'unstoppable' robot shooting up shopping malls. It would simply be a far less effective tactic than traditional terrorist methods.

Something I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet is the guy who sealed himself in an armored bulldozer and took out a town. Once again, though, this is 'low tech'. That sort of thing seems like a much better example of possible terrorist tactics: simple, cheap, and minimal planning/complex construction/expertise required. Anyone who can weld steel plates could probably pull off a similar attack...for way more destruction than building a robot, which requires much more technical knowledge and equipment.

And, someone also implied that there was some sort of "AI" that could control such weapons and automatically attack people. Such claims are completely out of touch with reality; computer programs only do exactly what they are written to do. Computer programs cannot improvise or defeat any obstacle that they were not specifically programmed to defeat. Even basic navigation through partially unknown terrain is incredibly difficult for computer programs.

The reason aircraft can land themselves is that they have a (hopefully) perfect knowledge of their relative position to the runway and other aircraft. It is a computationally trivial problem once you have built enough faith in your sensor data. Determining who is an ally and who is an enemy, climbing down a flight of stairs, or avoiding a person throwing a chair at you are difficult problems largely because the program can NOT have all the information. All weapons systems to date have relied on a human to set the target and respond to enemy attacks, and they always will for the foreseeable future.

Worrying about skynet keeps our eye off the real threats.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

...Something I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet is the guy who sealed himself in an armored bulldozer and took out a town. Once again, though, this is 'low tech'...
    Then you are missing the point. Drones / robots are becoming low tech. Making it more and more in contrast to...

...What I'm NOT going to worry about is the scenario of an 'unstoppable' robot shooting up shopping malls. It would simply be a far less effective tactic than traditional terrorist methods...
    The drone / robot is becoming the more effective tactic.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    The drone / robot is becoming the more effective tactic.
    I would be very surprised if a robot with a gun on it was more effective than a suicide bomber. A robot with a gun gives people a chance to disable it or attempt escape. Someone who has a bunch of explosives under their coat and walks onto a crowded train platform does not offer any opportunity to escape or fight back, just BAM and it's over. That's much more scary for me.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    The real question becomes what you can defend against, and what you can't: nukes, Chemical and Biological you can mitigate the aftermath with a personal CBR plan. A suicide bomber you and I as civilians cannot stop, we can just stay away from crowds and High Value Targets. Living in a small town would help you chances of avoiding any of them. The only real defenses against vests are good bomb dogs with snipers and a lot of them for a US city, technology can't beat a good dog. But as far as we as citizens go you won't know till it's done. Some wannabe that wants his share of kills but isn't suicidal can inflict a lot of damage without him being immediately in danger using any of the ideas we have bandied about just look at the DC sniper he was shooting out of a hole in the back of a Lincoln while everyone was looking for a white truck. I look in terms of OPFOR, what can they do and how can I defend against it. A decade ago a plane used as a missile was idiotic, and then everyone was accused of lack of imagination after it happened.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links