Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc).

This is a discussion on Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc). within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Imagine the news story. Mall of America, attacked by robot. 10 killed, 21 injured. Once again, remote via cell phone, no suspects. This time in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc).

Robot Attack (serial killer, terrorists, etc).

Imagine the news story. Mall of America, attacked by robot. 10 killed, 21 injured. Once again, remote via cell phone, no suspects. This time in the midwest. Minnesota Governor calls for an increase in firearm and robot legislation. Officials not sure if copy cat or same individual or group responsible for the the slayings in Arizona where 4 were injured and 2 died. The robot was stopped in Arizona by an armed citizen visiting from Texas, carrying a 1911. Unfortunately, he could not save his friend, an off duty Arizona police officer who's 9mm Glock could not stop the metal one, even with proper shot placement.

I know, sounds funny, and we have made fun of it many, many, many, many times (and sure it will happen in this thread).

Old Glory Robot Insurance-Saturday Night Live

But I was thinking, with all the advanvements in military remotes (air, sea, and land). Not just for surveillance, they have mounted weapons, and amazing sharp shooter targeting abilities. Their use and numbers have increase in the last 10 years (something like 1000:1). Sure, Terminators are just as likely as Zombies, I'm not going there.

But say 5, 10, or 20 years from now. It is only a matter of time before the technology becomes more comon. Then it is only a matter of time before some crazed Robot Wars (the competition) inventor gets on the wrong side of the law, or just turns serial killer, recruited by terrorists, etc. and is out using robots with mounted firearms, flame throwers, and table saws attached.

For those of you worried about U.S. troups trained for urban combat under a U.N. banner being told by "Zee Man" to come get your guns. You don't think they can't just use the robots / remotes. Forget the trained troops. Just recruit your kid's generation, being trained to use the same X-box remote.

It will all sound crazy till it happens (and even then it will sound crazy). However, as time goes on, say next decade, some random joe or jane will innocently die at the cold metal hands of a rebot or remote.

Before you think how foolish it sounds, consider how much time has been given to the rare griz attack conversations (a bear most on this forum will never see but on TV).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Issac Assimov wrote a lot of stories about robots. He came uo with the "Three Laws of Robotics"

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Let's hope he got it right.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The brain in the Asimov robots were three dimensional solid state integrated circuits. The assumption was that the basic design was so complex that no one would try to design around the three laws built into the basic structure. That won't happen. There's a number of people I cannot name without going into politics who will order people to do so regardless of cost.

I think we have a long time before autonomous war-bots are possible, the real world is just too chaotic.

Administrator
    The latest drones are pretty incredible. They can take off, complete a mission, return and land...and don't even need a human being manning any controls at all.

Isaac Asimov defined a robot as "a computer attached to a machine." By his definition we are surrounded by robots. Designers/programmers have yet to integrate a single one of the three laws. A Predator drone is a robot, although it may not fit the contemporary sci-fi image of a completely autonomous construction. I don't think the three laws will ever be implemented , considering the disregard they're given now.

EdC
    When that day comes, I'm hiding behind this guy:

Magnus, Robot Fighter - Pop-Cult.Com

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    But say 5, 10, or 20 years from now. It is only a matter of time before the technology becomes more comon. Then it is only a matter of time before some crazed Robot Wars (the competition) inventor gets on the wrong side of the law, or just turns serial killer, recruited by terrorists, etc. and is out using robots with mounted firearms, flame throwers, and table saws attached.
    Thanis, this tek is common now. I could build you one that could do this in 2 months, from scrach. there are youtube vids of people doing this with paintball guns now.

and a 1911 will be no better then a 9mm agenst this. steel plating will stop both rounds. A rifle and a powerfull one will be needed.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

- John Connor
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I started my training 40 years ago...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    Thanis, this tek is common now. I could build you one that could do this in 2 months, from scrach. there are youtube vids of people doing this with paintball guns now...
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The latest drones are pretty incredible. They can take off, complete a mission, return and land...and don't even need a human being manning any controls at all.
    Ya, what I'm getting at. It sounds stupid, robot attack, but sooner or later, going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    ...and a 1911 will be no better then a 9mm agenst this. steel plating will stop both rounds. A rifle and a powerfull one will be needed.
    I know. Just joking (via the typical 9mm vs .45 ACP thread argument).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- John Connor
    Nice!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Cool video, QK... reminiscent of the "loader" in the film Aliens, more than 20 years ago. Funny how sci-fi so often comes true...

Going back to Thanis' original idea, I think you are correct... within 20 years, we will see astonishing advances in robotics and this kind of drone technology...

And how long will it be till this kinda tech filters down to police...? 8 cops in ninja suits and mechanical exoskeletons pulling your door off its' hinges... the bomb squads in many cities already have the little remote rovers.

I was looking at the fully-armored version in the last video QK posted and thought, if you had to fight a soldier in that, what would you do...? I would think a 5.56 would probably bounce off it... certainly a handgun would be ineffective...

You'd have to go primitive on him... nets and bolos... take him down and run away...
    Last edited by PointnClick; June 27th, 2009 at 03:13 AM.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Cool video, QK... reminiscent of the "loader" in the film Aliens, more than 20 years ago. Funny how sci-fi so often comes true...
    I wouldn’t laugh too hard:

If I remember the story right Caterpillar was given the idea by the studio and were asked to build it. From the waste up it all really worked, the Legs were actually on a trolley and that was 20 years ago.

There is an annual competition among colleges sponsored by DARPA to make an automated supply vehicle that can navigate a 200 Mi course in the Mojave Desert without human intervention.

They are working on a 4 legged, gas operated chassis that can carry a 300lb load on uneven terrain behind the un-mounted troops right now. (Looks kind of like a dog without a head)

I can go to FRY's Electronics today and pick up a small 9v wireless camera, a Remote controlled helicopter about the size of a backpack, and some Zip Strips and I will have my own remote controlled recon drone by dinner.

Add weapons to any of these ideas from a semi auto with laser-grips on the Helo, to a gun attached to thermal imaging looking for and shooting at 98.6degree targets mounted on the supply vehicle. Any of these could have the effect the terrorists want Chaos and Terror.

Of course lets not forget Burt Gummer using too much C4 on a remote controlled car and making Graboid Bar-B-Que :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Terrorists are, by and large, stupid. Planning is required to create something like this, and planning is what gets bad guys caught. It is much safer and easier for them to use conventional methods. Why go through all the trouble of building a remote attack system when there are plenty of people willing to make a suicide attack? That's the real threat.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links