Time for a lawyer?

Time for a lawyer?

This is a discussion on Time for a lawyer? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick question for yall,After a shooting incident,would you call the cops first or your lawyer? Would it look bad if my brother/lawyer were here before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for a lawyer?

Time for a lawyer?

Quick question for yall,After a shooting incident,would you call the cops first or your lawyer? Would it look bad if my brother/lawyer were here before the leos finally drag up?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Call the cops first, then while they are on their way, call your lawyer. Prosecutor might make you look guilty if you call your lawyer first.

Law prof and cop agree: never ever ever ever ever ever ever talk to the cops about a crime, even if you're innocent - Right Mind
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Call the cops first, then while they are on their way, call your lawyer. Prosecutor might make you look guilty if you call your lawyer first.

Law prof and cop agree: never ever ever ever ever ever ever talk to the cops about a crime, even if you're innocent - Right Mind
    +1.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Call 911. Advise them that you are the victim of a crime and that you had to defend your life with a firearm. Put the gun down. When LEO arrives identify yourself as the one/victim who called 911 and that the criminal is over there. When they ask for a statement, you advise them that you will be happy to provide them with a statement very soon. That under these circumstances that you really should speak with an attorney first and that you will provide a statement within 24 hours. And then add to the LEO "I sure you understand". And then wait for the lawyer. Period.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

VIP Member
    Agreed, call 911 first, not only is it the right protocol, but the time-line from your cell phone will be likely scrutinized, data indicating that you called a lawyer first doesn't look particularly good.

BTW if your brother is an attorney you might want to ask him.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Others have already given you the correct advice.
    Be sure to watch the two vids (in post #2, BradyM77)...excellent 'eye-openers', and well worth an hour of your time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    Call 911. Advise them that you are the victim of a crime and that you had to defend your life with a firearm. Put the gun down. When LEO arrives identify yourself as the one/victim who called 911 and that the criminal is over there. When they ask for a statement, you advise them that you will be happy to provide them with a statement very soon. That under these circumstances that you really should speak with an attorney first and that you will provide a statement within 24 hours. And then add to the LEO "I sure you understand". And then wait for the lawyer. Period.
    +1 I think this is the best way to handle the situation.

Call 911. Advise them that you are the victim of a crime and that you had to defend your life with a firearm. Put the gun down. When LEO arrives identify yourself as the one/victim who called 911 and that the criminal is over there.
    Unless you are 1000% sure that there is absolutely no more threat and no chance of a threat, that all of the bad guys are incapable of doing you harm (assuming you actually had any knowledge of just how many there actually were), do not put down the gun and wait for the cops.

Why would you disarm yourself before the cops arrive. Tactically for reasons of personal safety, that would be a very bad decision.

Quick question for yall,After a shooting incident,would you call the cops first or your lawyer? Would it look bad if my brother/lawyer were here before the leos finally drag up?
    Your lawyer brother is also on the SWAT team? If he isn't there to secure the scene and hence your personal safety, calling him before the cops would be naive.

Now, if you call him second and he arrives ahead of the cops, no problem, but your number one job after you are in a position safe enough to call 911 is to get the calvary there. The calvary includes not only the cops, but medical help. Remember, there may be injured parties involved (even other than the bad guy).
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post

That is THE way to handle a SD shooting. Excellent way of explaining it Manan.

All great advise, but I do have one thing to add. After making sure that you are safe you may want to render medical assistance to anyone injured. You may want medical attention before needing your lawyer.

1943 - 2009
    How many times have we done this?

I've lost track.

The feature is there for a reason. Please use it, you might be surprised.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    "All great advise, but I do have one thing to add. After making sure that you are safe you may want to render medical assistance to anyone injured. You may want medical attention before needing your lawyer."

Let me add a clarification for you.
    If the bad guy is still alive but, down - do not ever attempt to render medical assistance to the bad guy.

Request an ambulance at the same time that you call 911 for the Police. Do nothing else for the bad guy.

Concerning innocent folks that may be injured - do not render medical assistance unless you know what you are doing or you are following specific "step by step" instructions from a qualified individual on the other end of your cell phone.

You never want to risk making any injury worse or even causing or contributing to the death of an innocent before paramedics arrive to give trained professional help.

MJK
    Good advice - don't talk.

Adrenaline will be racing through your veins and you probably won't be capable of accurately recounting important details.

Nothing you can say will help your case; anything you say can hurt.

Got it! yall can go back to bed now.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    If your brother was a fireman and you had a fire in your house, would you call the Fire Dept or your brother?

The point I'm trying to make is, 911 will get the appropriate authorities there quicker than waiting for your brother to decide what to do, in most cases. The lawyer is for the "after-math" not the current on-going situation.

If you call your lawyer first I can guarantee that you will look guilty, good shoot or not. It can also be used to show a callous disregard for human life and suffering. Try to overcome that obstacle if you are charged with a crime or sued in civil court.

Your self defense weapon is a life saving tool, designed to cut a lane of safety for you and other innocents, until responding professional personnel can get there to take over the scene. That would be the Police and EMT's.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links