Why fireworks, beer, . . . and a 12-guage don't mix!

This is a discussion on Why fireworks, beer, . . . and a 12-guage don't mix! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, my family and I came home from dinner and saw several of our neighbors sitting in a driveway next door, drinking beer and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why fireworks, beer, . . . and a 12-guage don't mix!

Why fireworks, beer, . . . and a 12-guage don't mix!

Last night, my family and I came home from dinner and saw several of our neighbors sitting in a driveway next door, drinking beer and lighting some small fireworks. This is generally a good group of people who just like to cut loose and have fun. I went over for a minute to say hi and see what was going on. About the time I got over there, one of the nighbors came sprinting back from across the street. Apparently, he had been out on the lake all day, was already pretty juiced up, and decided to light an M-80 inside another neighbor's mailbox. You can imagine what happened to the mailbox.

As I walked back to my house, I saw the mailbox's owner come outside--with a Mossy 500 over his shoulder. I can't even start to quote the things he yelled over to that group. Not knowing what he was going to do, I stood back in my driveway and just watched. Since we had been out, I was still carrying--but I really did not feel threatened. In fact, I'm not even sure I was in true Condition Orange. He walked down the sidewalk, over to the first neighbor's house (the one who lit the M-80), stood in front of his mailbox, and fired twice. When it was over, both mailboxes looked a lot alike.

Keep in mind--this is normally a nice, quiet, middle-class, subdivision. In fact, most of our neighbors are cops! Ironically, no calls were made, and no patrol cars stopped by to investigate.

So far, I have not seen either neighbor today. I imagine they will both be running up to Home Depot later . . .
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good time was had by all. No offense, but I am glad I don't live in your neighborhood.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thumbs down

Hm. He could be chilling in jail for awhile, in many places, with an act of retribution like that.

M-80's are one thing. But they don't fling bullets/shot long distances that could risk others' safety. Can't imagine a call to police would go very well for him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sounds like a good time was had by all. No offense, but I am glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

I hear you.

Ironically, we moved here four years ago because the safety in our old neighborhood disappeared. The final straw was a drive-by a couple blocks over.

I really hope this was just a one-time issue.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    M-80's are one thing. But they don't fling bullets/shot long distances that could risk others' safety.
    Definitely. I'm sure the neighbor was angry, but the possibility of collateral damage is way too high to justify using a shotgun in a situation like this. Baseball bat, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTiger View Post
    Not knowing what he was going to do, I stood back in my driveway and just watched. Since we had been out, I was still carrying--but I really did not feel threatened. In fact, I'm not even sure I was in true Condition Orange.
    A loud argument, next door, with one party armed with a shotgun? I don't think I'd just stand there and watch. It's definitely time for condition orange and probably a good opportunity to move behind some cover. Also might have been a good time for a 911 call. It worked out all right in this case, but what if one of your beer drinking neighbors had a firearm? You could have been looking at a gunfight next door.

Here's a question that rolled around in my head afterwards: Should I have done something to stop him? He and I are acquaintances at best, but I probably could have cooled him down if I tried.

I also regret not calling the police. At the time, I assumed either someone else would call, or one of the five cops whose houses I can see from my driveway would come out to investigate. That is definitely something I would do differently in the future.

Here's a question that rolled around in my head afterwards: Should I have done something to stop him? He and I are acquaintances at best, but I probably could have cooled him down if I tried.
    I don't think I would try to intervene in an argument between two acquantiances when one of them is armed with a shotgun.

I also regret not calling the police. At the time, I assumed either someone else would call, or one of the five cops whose houses I can see from my driveway would come out to investigate. That is definitely something I would do differently in the future.
    The idea that someone else will deal with a problem is very common. It's called diffusion of responsiblity. When you're in a position to help, don't assume someone else is going to do so, they're probably assuming the same thing. On the flip side, if you need help, don't depend on a group of people to help you. For instance, if there's a medical emergency in the middle of a crowd and you want someone to call 911, it's much better to address a specific person and ask them to do it than to just call out "somebody call 911", because everybody will assume that someone else will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    A loud argument, next door, with one party armed with a shotgun? I don't think I'd just stand there and watch. It's definitely time for condition orange and probably a good opportunity to move behind some cover. Also might have been a good time for a 911 call. It worked out all right in this case, but what if one of your beer drinking neighbors had a firearm? You could have been looking at a gunfight next door.

I actually was behind some cover (concrete planter on one side and the front of a car on the other). Regardless, I think the reason I didn't go into full Condition Orange is these guys are mostly full of hot air. The two guys with the M-80 and the shotgun are actually close friends--who happen to act like 40-year-old frat guys. At no point did the guy with the shotgun threaten anyone with it. He just called them every four-letter work in the book. Even now, I don't think he would have done anything to them directly.

Despite that, I do regret not calling 911.

VIP Member
    As many likely know, an M80 is a military device, designed to simulate a hand grenade. As such, it can be just as lethal as the Mossy 500. I recall those “cherry bomb” and M80 days when I victimized those pesky little mailboxes. It’s comforting to know that not much has changed. Personally, I don’t blame the guy for blowing away his neighbor’s mailbox with his Mossy.

No, I don't advocate the shotgun response although the little punk may learn that when you screw with some people, sometimes my signature quote rings out.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post

No, I don't advocate the shotgun response although the little punk may learn that when you screw with people, sometimes my signature quote rings out.
    Regards,
    Unfortunately, the "little punk" is in his late 30's - early 40's.

Home Depot is happy. They just sold two more mail boxes.

destruction of private property, twice. I 'm glad I don't live there either.

Sounds like at least one felony maybe two,destruction of private/federal property w/explosive device,and destruction of private property,reckless endangernment,possible unlawful firing weapon in the city limits,I would have called 911 and had some idiots arrested,this type of stuff leads to people getting shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"Mike! just a second."

"Joe, you are going to Home Depot in the morning and Mike will have a new mailbox before the mail carrier gets here, right?"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If it had been my mailbox, and I had known about it I would have called the police. I would not have confronted with a shotgun. It is always a relatively dangerous thing to confront drunks, and when I do not need to do so I don't.

If they had gotten in a fight of any kind all I would have done was to call 911 and taken cover.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links