Well, my cover is blown in the neighborhood now

This is a discussion on Well, my cover is blown in the neighborhood now within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know...we've all seen plenty of "I had to draw today" threads. Not knocking those in any way....I just didn't want to start out the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, my cover is blown in the neighborhood now

Well, my cover is blown in the neighborhood now

I know...we've all seen plenty of "I had to draw today" threads. Not knocking those in any way....I just didn't want to start out the same way, but I did today. Just an hour ago. Without delving too much into details, I was at a friends apartment this evening to cook her some steaks on the grill and have dinner with her. I live in a large apartment complex, and have for several months now since my work schedule change (dramatic change). Anyway.....after I dumped last weeks coals into her trash can, it was full, and a lot of times I'll take her trash out anyway since she recently had colon surgery and shouldn't lift much. So.....I headed to the dumpster closest to our building, and saw a girl out with her dog at an adjacent building. It was a pit bull/boxer mix....tiger stripe sort. I guess I caught the dog's attention once I tossed the bag into the dumpster...and he ran away from her and to the end of the walk and watched me. Once I turned from the dumpster, I heard the girl call the dog, and she spun around and started running away from him hopefully enticing him to follow her. But the dog was more interested in me, and by the time the girl realized this, both of them were getting farther apart, and the dog closer to me. Once I was on the sidewalk back to my building again, the dog closed ground between us very quickly and the girl began calling it frantically. It ran toward me and flanked me......I pulled out the G19 I was carrying appendix, and chambered a round. (I don't want to hear any pros or cons from this carry method or standpoint, but I carry as I may, and do as I please...and apparently this time was Defcon 3 for me as I had been carrying Defcon 1 already most of the day) Took my grip and stance once it was at my 10 o'clock position and approximately nine feet away now, and hunkered down in that typical dog stance waiting for someone to run and play. (never turn your back and run away from a dog) I wasn't playing, and once the girl finally got there, she almost ran into my line of fire. The dog circled after that, and I kept walking toward my original destination once again, having to cover my backside once again with two hand hold, lowered pistol. I was so close to giving this girl a crying lesson over loosing her dog because she was stupid. There is a leash law in this town, and nobody called the law on this incident. (I don't want to hear pros and cons about that either) What really irks me is that now somebody around here knows I carry a gun, and you know how this girl is going to talk her fool head off, and maybe get a big bad boyfriend someday and point me out.....all because SHE was in the wrong and so stupid to let that big dog run loose, and for her to have no control over it. All in all, her and her apparent (beefy/butch) girlfriend spent another fifteen minutes trying to get the dog under control and back to their building before something bad happened. Every once in a while, I realize that my dislike for people comes to the surface, and I really don't like thinking that way, but there's always somebody ready and willing to prove my point. Tomorrow the property management is going to get an earful, and things are going to change. Thing is....my cover was blown...and I hate that most of all. I was bitten by a neighbors dog when I was age ten (I turned and ran from it). I dearly love animals as an adult, and I have had many pets of all different kinds, and still have several. I had no problem with putting this dog to rest in front of it's owner today with one, or all fifteen rounds. I swear that dog knew my intent and composure enough not to test the limit today, and besides the point of me having to expose myself to the world, I'm glad I didn't have to. By the way....the girl kept on saying "I'm sorry....I'm sorry". To tell the truth, she don't know half of it. Even with a leash next time, I'd bet without a doubt that dog could drag her anywhere it wanted to go. She may slow it down a bit, but once her face hits pavement....I'll bet she lets go of a leash. In the back of my mind, I don't figure the lesson she learned today will last her a week. Me? I was a bit shaken. Happens a second time after I report it to management, and things might not turn out so good.
    Well that's today's highlights, fun, and games. I still got to enjoy some nice grilled tenderloin with one of my best friends who's moving away in a couple of weeks instead of filing a police report for who knows how long while the coals were burning.
    Again.......think whatever you want to yourself about this ordeal. Your opinions are always valued here on this forum, and I enjoy giving some of my own. But this case is closed as far as I'm concerned, and hopefully it won't ever happen again. Besides that....I didn't have to clean my gun tonight or turn it over to the police for an investigation. I not only survived a long hard day, but I didn't have to kill a dog, or watch it's stupid owner lament over it. I'd say everything's okay....wouldn't you? Always carry.

2. Remove Ads

I'd say it turned out much better than getting bitten by a dog. Hopefully you won't get harassed for carrying in your location. If she's got a boyfriend, I suppose you'll be in condition orange for awhile.

Regardless, still better than being bitten.

I hope she learned something, but even if she didn't, you were prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'd say everything's okay....wouldn't you? Always carry.
    Yep. Everything sounds good to me.

Glad you shared the experience.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ramrod, I think you handled it extremely well. I've had something similar to me, so I can see myself there. Better to be prepared to use it, then get mauled.
    Like I said before, you can't read the two legged varmints mind any better then the four legged kind.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I'd say it turned out much better than getting bitten by a dog. Hopefully you won't get harassed for carrying in your location. If she's got a boyfriend, I suppose you'll be in condition orange for awhile.

Regardless, still better than being bitten.
    Bitten? Never again...plain and simple. This wasn't a typical 'biting' dog....it was a maul you like a stuffed toy type of dog. Way too large to be penned up in a studio apartment, and I think they have specific weight rules about that as well. Two weeks ago, I saw a girl walking a Great Dane when I went to my mailbox. That type of dog I would have held my hand out to and got acquainted. But still....in a studio apartment? Maybe they are just dog-sitting for friends out of town? Or maybe...just maybe...these girls are getting large dogs instead of pistols and carry permits?

I think you did well. We could critique all we want, but the difference is that you had 15 seconds to make a decision while we have time to sit and think about it.

That is a hard situation. A charging dog makes for some difficult situations. Pulling a gun on a dog is more of a threat to the owner than the dog. With the owner so far away there isn't much time before you HAVE to fire. Not to say that I wouldn't fire upon a charging dog. I am glad it worked out well. Hope the food was good.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glad you are ok. You did what was right for you.This woman needs a small dog. My Boxer is 70 pounds. I am 5'8" 220 pounds.A few times in his 2 years on earth,we had a few battles of the will while he was on leash. I always win,but it ain't easy. Why some people want dogs they can't handle I will never know.

I'm not trying to be flip about the situation, but where do you shoot a dog to maximize stoppage?
    Last edited by Maverick68; June 29th, 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    You did the right thing. And if you see her again, recommend a GENTLE LEADER HALTI so she will never get dragged by her dog!

FYI- Danes are couch potatoes and actually make excellent apartment dogs because of that! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by jtyler05si View Post
    I think you did well. We could critique all we want, but the difference is that you had 15 seconds to make a decision while we have time to sit and think about it.

That is a hard situation. A charging dog makes for some difficult situations. Pulling a gun on a dog is more of a threat to the owner than the dog. With the owner so far away there isn't much time before you HAVE to fire. Not to say that I wouldn't fire upon a charging dog. I am glad it worked out well. Hope the food was good.
    First off...15 seconds would have been as long as a day in this instance. The whole ordeal was about 30 seconds in a 200ft walk from the dumpster to the building for me.
    Next......you seem to have one side of the story. But it intrigues me.......a dog owner with a loose dog could very well be a threat to me. Not that you are looking at things backwards....it's just there's two sides to the street. My intent was to keep myself alive, or from going to the hospital....in no way threatening the owner. I never said a word out loud...to the owner, or toward the dog. Best way to do things, and not antagonize anyone. I posted this for a learning experience to all. I myself learned more about me today. It's the third time I've had to draw,sight and caress the trigger in civilian life, and the first time on something living that's not human. A dog cannot be held accountable for it's actions in a court of law. Usually the owner is held accountable for their animal's actions.

RR...just another day in an apartment complex...ahhhh, the joy of apartment neighbors.

Sounds like you handled it well, not much else you could have done. Contacting the management is probably wise.

Stay armed...watch your back...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Glad you're ok. You said that you didn't speak, but what did she do to let you know for sure that she saw the gun? Just curous.

I've never understood why people choose some breeds. My son got bit in the face by a dog and will have a scar the rest of his life. I came very close to taking the dog for a drive and coming back alone.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I went through a similar incident when I was in Jr high many moons ago. The guy down the street was known for growing his own "stuff" and the high schoolers would occasionally break into his shed. So now he is paranoid of everyone trying to get his stuff. I was walking past the house in the middle of the street (small subdv, 10 houses) He sends his dog out growling and teeth showing. I just happened to be making a wall clock in shop class and had 2 2"x2" x 2' walnut sticks in my duffle bag, I see the dog, I reach in the bag grab a stick ready to crack it in the head. Then the owner realizes I am not playing and goes out grabs the dog and gets mean with him. Some folks are just plain ignorant and void of any one else's being.

Glad all worked out for you. This is one of those things that others can analyze all day, but until your thrust into the spot light, you don't really know. Anyway spend some time with the friend before she moves.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick68 View Post
    I'm not trying to be flip about the situation, but where do you shoot a dog to maximize stoppage?
    Usually a dog in attack mode will be facing you with it's head lowered. Makes for a small target, usually the head because it's in front of the breast in that position. Skull bone is hard and thick sometimes, but muzzle is thinner. Mass on the typical mauling type dog would likely be around the front shoulder area and behind and lower from the side, or lower from the front under the throat area. That's why I stated one shot or all fifteen because your immediate sight picture on an intent dog doesn't present the best odds from the get-go. Dogs are different from humans.....pain and/or blood loss might not register an immediate stoppage where as if motor (legs, shoulders) were to experience shattered bone they may not be able to progress. All in my honest opinion mind you.

You did the right thing. I dont see how anyone can say anything against what you had to do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links