How would your wife react?

This is a discussion on How would your wife react? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's say you and your wife are out together, just the two of you, and you're in a restaurant, convenience store, grocery store or whatever. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How would your wife react?

VIP Member

How would your wife react?

Let's say you and your wife are out together, just the two of you, and you're in a restaurant, convenience store, grocery store or whatever. IOW you're out in public at some business establishment or whatever.

Your wife is pre-occupied looking at something, but you notice some suspicious guys who are "casing" the area, though nothing has happened just yet. You get a real bad feelling about all of this and you realize that you need to slip out an exit, and you need to do it pretty quickly. You feel you have time for only a quick word to your wife and depart without drawing attention to both of you.

So you quietly tell your wife, "We need to leave now" and gently tug on her arm to reinforce your intention. Would your wife easily get up to follow you out, or would she tend to delay your action by asking questions, resist your request, make a scene or what?

My answer- If my wife saw the same suspicious behavior and had been aware of it, she'd easily leave with me. If I she hadn't, she put up MUCH resistance and ask MANY questions.......I'd be sunk at that point
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

My wife would ask for a full explanation, then, after I told her not to look, she'd turn and squarely face the threat and stare...

That's why I carry for a battle because she limits our opportunities to slip out and avoid a fight.

Ya plays the hands that yer dealt.

My wife would look at me and then after seeing my look would go without further prodding.

She's been married to me long enough to know my neck hairs.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    my wife would ask questions also
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Pretty sure that she would comply.

VIP Member

Ditto here, Grady

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    My wife would ask for a full explanation, then, after I told her not to look, she'd turn and squarely face the threat and stare...

That's why I carry for a battle because she limits our opportunities to slip out and avoid a fight.

Ya plays the hands that yer dealt.
    I'd get an argument. And there's no point to trying to pre-plan for a situation as she won't play they game; not that there wasn't an awful home invasion and rape of her sister. If that won't get their attention, I figure I have to just give up. Tell me again-- what do you carry? I'll double up.

To be fair, you must also ask how you would react if the shoe was on the other foot. I know I would be startled for at least a second, and might ask a "What?"

I do think I would be more consistant then her. She would range in reaction, from no questions, to enough to most likely be to many questions.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I think we've finally got "the look" down and if given, she would comply and follow me out. Then I'm sure a 30 minute lecture on me being "paranoid" would ensue...
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Well shes been with me for 12 yrs and she know that when i say lets go its for a reason.......She says i look at things too hard and always scanning around...MMmmmmmmm(I guess military life does that to you)
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'd get an argument. And there's no point to trying to pre-plan for a situation as she won't play they game; not that there wasn't an awful home invasion and rape of her sister. If that won't get their attention, I figure I have to just give up.
    Dang! Yep, if that isn't an attention-getter, nothing is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Tell me again-- what do you carry? I'll double up.
    Not sure if that is a question to me, but if it is, I always carry a .45 (13+1) and a .357 for my other hand. Plus a 17+1 9mm if I'm in my vehicle.

I'm with you on giving up trying to convince her. It's a far better use of my time to prepare for an all-out battle where I may not be able to retreat because she wouldn't follow, and I'm not leaving her alone with thugs shooting.

If I'm ever in that situation, it's going to be real loud for as long as I can last.

I think my soon-to-be would listen, and leave...might put up a small fuss about it later though...

Then again, sometimes she'll just do something totally random and surprise the crap out of me, she might just walk up to them and strike up a conversation.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

This gets even more complicated with a child in tow. My wife trusts me and my instincts. Problem is getting out of there with a simple head nod when the child is focused on something other than Mom and Dad.

Talk to your wife, explain to your wife. If you give her the nod, she may think you are freaking out, but now is not the time for questions. She can ream me a new one later and I'll agree to it. And.... she knows that I'll explain why it was time to bolt later.

Also, stick close to her and the kids. No point in having everyone in separate areas of the store which equates to possibley being in yours or hers line of fire.

My wife knows I am always on high SA and believe she would go without question when I gave her the look and the one word command that we use to get the others or the dogs attention. The word started out as a short command for the dog, worked so well that we use it between ourselves. I have a good record on SA and hers is getting much better.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

My wife understands the 'restaurant watch' routine quite well. When we go in, she know automatically where I want to sit. Sometimes, she double checks the seating arrangement with me, most of the time she gives me the lookout spot.
    If I said, we're leaving NOW, she'd be 'getting gone' with me...no other questions would be asked.
    (Now it wasn't always this way and it HAS taken almost 38 years.)

Stay armed...stay alert as a team...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She would leave. We have a good connection and she knows i dont go around leaving places just because i feel like it. She also knows i always have her best interests in mind. Of course i would explain after we got to were i felt it was safe.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links