The 'dreaded' lawyer thread

This is a discussion on The 'dreaded' lawyer thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bored and can't sleep so here's my question to the board...we have all been advised and know that contacting a lawyer ASAP after a SD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'dreaded' lawyer thread

Bored and can't sleep so here's my question to the board...we have all been advised and know that contacting a lawyer ASAP after a SD incident is paramount.

If failing to plan is planning to fail then I propose the following questions:

What type of attorney is best suited to represent someone in the unikely event of self-defense action involving injury or death? I'm not happy about saying it, but a 'criminal defense' attorney, I presume?

And do any of you guys know which attorney YOU would call if the crap hit the fan, i.e., have you spoken to one in advance just in case, or done any research in the matter? No, not looking for names, just a general feel for what your plan would be.

Seems an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...God only knows how stressful/overwhelmingly difficult dealing with the immediate aftermath of a SD action would be...certainly not an ideal time to be researching suitable representation.

As we've all decided to take direct responsibility for the immediate safety and security of ourselves/loved ones, it seems this is something that should be discussed...versus just thinking 'I'll call a lawyer', if we ever find ourselves in the unfortunate situation.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks in advance.
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

For those of you that don't know whom to call.

Have a plan in place with a trusted other. Make sure they have the phone numbers to call your attorney etc, etc. I have two trusted others, one is my wife. The other will remain nameless, as it's nobody's business but mine.

As for selecting an attorney, I don't want a "big name" mob lawyer. No "hotshot" per se, but perhaps one that is well versed in trial law and evidentiary procedures, and knows people in the local legal system. Almost like someone that has sat on a bench.

Smart people will recognize a clue or two there.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Biker
    I'm too new here to pick up what you're putting down w/your 'code' lol but I certainly appreciate your feedback on the matter.
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

When I took my CCW class, the LEO teaching it handed out the guy's card who all the cops use. Check with the CCW instructors, I'm sure they've got a guy.

Find one that specializes in, or at least is highly experienced with firearms law and self-defense related law. You don't want the guy that does all the DUI's in town representing you when the DA is trying to decide whether to charge you with attempted murder or to pin a medal on your chest........

I'd start by talking to the local gunshops, ccw instructors, and doing an internet search. Once you decide, get his card and keep it in your wallet along with your ccw and put his number into your cell phone. Hopefully you'll never need either.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

All are pretty good responses, but one thing is left out. If you have chosen an attorney that would be suitable to represent you, then do one of two things. First, and foremost, call the attorney. Talk with him and at least start some sort of business relationship. Second, if at all possible, meet him face to face. It doesn't hurt to pay that intital 'question&answer' fee to be able to put a face to a name. At least that way if and when you do have to make that call, when he shows up, you at least know who he is.

The last person, should i say fourth person, I feel Biker covered the first three, would be for those that this is appropriate, would be your pastor. I'm not trying to get into a religion thing here, just saying someone that you can confide in that might give you some comfort.

Anyway, ymmv. Just my .02 on the matter.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

Our "After deadly force class" included a criminal defense attorney who defends people mostly in murder trials and in self defense trials. He gave us his card and also said he would come out at 2 am if called. I would suggest that you find an instructor or "after deadly force class" and ask who would be good in this defense. You certaily want a lawyer who is very versed in the second amendment as well as the self defense/gun laws in your state.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I have made a few phone calls to try and set up a short meeting with an attorney in the area. No luck so far...
    This is something that has to be this summer's goal...find an attorney in the area who could effectively be your voice if you become involved in a defensive situation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    What type of attorney is best suited to represent someone in the unikely event of self-defense action involving injury or death? I'm not happy about saying it, but a 'criminal defense' attorney, I presume?
    Criminal defense attorney?

Perish the thought.

You want a guy who is a shooter, but does estate planning and taxes for a living to keep your hide out of the slammer. You don't want someone who knows how to read a police report and understand when the cops did a good investigation, when they are covering ass or is familiar with the Judge and the prosecutor. You want a guy who can't even find the courtroom or understand the court's procedure because it's completely different from the kind of law he's practiced for the past decade.

That's right! You want someone who is a true believe in the second amendment rather than someone who has a clue about how to handle an incident with bodies on the floor.

(Dam, I typed that with a straight face...I'm good. I'm really good.)

Give me a break.

The aftermath of a shooting is NOT a second amendment matter. It's a criminal one. Deal with it.

I have an attorney who defended me once back in the '90s, I carry his card that has his personal cell phone # that he carries 24/7 365. Yes, he is a criminal defense attorney who has extensive experience in self defense cases involving firearms. I retain him for $50 per year, for that I get to carry his card. That card stays in my wallet right behind my Texas CHL.

Good advice by all who posted, but the best advice is to retain someone who specializes in criminal defense matters and cases involving firearms that is a trial lawyer, or someone who actually appears in court. That can make all the difference.....

Just my .02 from someone who has been there once before.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

well versed in trial law and evidentiary procedures, and knows people in the local legal system. Almost like someone that has sat on a bench.
    I'll put it out there again.

Biker

Many judges spent time before the bench as federal or state prosecutors. Simply put, they didn't do defense work, and it's a different ball of wax than prosecuting a case.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For those of you that don't know whom to call.

Have a plan in place with a trusted other. Make sure they have the phone numbers to call your attorney etc, etc. I have two trusted others, one is my wife. The other will remain nameless, as it's nobody's business but mine.

As for selecting an attorney, I don't want a "big name" mob lawyer. No "hotshot" per se, but perhaps one that is well versed in trial law and evidentiary procedures, and knows people in the local legal system. Almost like someone that has sat on a bench.

Biker

If I lived in Las Vegas I guess I would call the mayor when he was a defense lawyer. He got Tony "The Ant" Spilotro" and Lefty Rosenthal off numerous times. Supposidly Tony was under investigation for 20 murders, the only conviction was falsifiy a loan application for a friend, which got him a $1.00 fine!

When asked about representing mobsters the mayor replied, "IF I would have known those guys were mobsters I would have charged them more money!"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Grandma -- where did you take this class? This sounds like a great one to take!

RE: atty -- I called up the Captain at out local PD, we have a very friendly relationship with local PD since the dog incident, and they have been an incredible source for just about anything related to law/firearms. Captain said that calling a lawyer first, before anything even happens, isn't always the best idea because it can seem like you knew you were going to end up shooting someone.

That said, he gave me the name of a law firm all the LEOs use and said if anything happened, to call those guys.

*shrug*
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

A friend who I've know for 30 + yrs and worked on various cases on in the past, trust fully, and I've seen him in action to know how good he is. Plus, I've had him handle several things in the past as well... and he's a fighter.

He's gets the call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links